Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3
I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3
First of all, if you liked this season I'm not gonna judge you. This thread isn't meant to attack anyone who disagrees with me, everyone should have their right to have an opinion.
With that said I also want to mention that even though there has been more than a year since this season, my opinions about it haven't changed much if at all.
I disliked every single episode. You know "The Ricklantis Mixup", a highly praised episode considered by fans one of the best in the series? I disliked it as well. There are many reasons why I felt towards it that way, but the main reason is that how on earth - or in this case in the multiverse - is it possible that millions of versions of an old genius - they themselves being geniuses - would let a 14 year old boy run for their president? I mean, sure it's fiction, but in this show kids are kids. They go to school, are financially dependent on their parents and lack life experience. Maybe in one or more universes things are different, but it's never established that evil Morty comes from such a universe, so I'm let to assume that in his universe kids are still kids. Granted, he is a genius, but we have no confirmation that the Ricks know that, and even if they did know it would still not make any sense, because they're geniuses as well. Not to mention that in real life genius kids are still kids. Even if they are above average intelligence, they still need a parent or guardian. It seems to me like the writers were to lazy to come with a more believable way for evil Morty to gain power.
If I were to list general problems with the show it would be:
  • the comedy lost a lot of quality, a few jokes made me giggle but that's about it
  • hiring female writers just because they're female
  • the fanbase (not a problem with the show itself and good shows can have bad fans, but I do believe that in this case the show itself is partially and I do mean only partially at fault)
  • characters have been  painfully flanderized:
  1. Rick, while always a depressed asshole genius with a don't give a fuck attitude, seems to have become  more "hip". He made some references to social media and we see less of his unhappy side. When we do see his depressed side, it's not done very well. He and Morty feel sadder than usual after an adventure we barely see then try to get rid of their toxic sides. After that said sides try to fuck up the world and it's up to our main characters to stop them. Then Rick finds out, that the toxic sides are what they themselves subjectively consider toxic about themselves. I do agree on that morality is subjective and so are personalities. As it turns out, Rick considers his love for his grandson toxic and uses this to regain his toxic side, because you need to be toxic on some level. Sure, nobody and nothing is perfect, but there are certain things you should not have. If you consider love to be toxic you need to reevaluate yourself and if you consider that you need your depression, what you actually need is therapy (yeah, Pickle Rick I know). Also, Rick sometimes just simply wins without any effort (pretty boring) and other times turns himself into a pickle.
  2. Jerry has become pretty much like Meg from Family Guy and Squidward in the worst seasons of Spongebob, only less tortured, at least at the moment. Seriously, the guy just visits his kids and gets called a loser by the wind. He does get back to Beth at the end, but considering how broken their marriage was, I'm not making too many hopes.
  3. Beth has become a bitch then a psychopathic bitch who occasionally shows signs of trying to do good then realizes - at least at the moment - that she was evil, enough said.
  4. Morty, well I would call his flanderisation failed character development. He is shown as much competent, he becomes even able to defuse one of Rick's bombs. The problem is that we never saw Morty learning how to do this or any other scientific stuff, which is a shame considering how many possibilities there are for this. He was also a lot more confident, which I didn't find forced, because he was becoming more and more confident through the seasons. What bugs me is that in the episode about toxicity, he shows his old lack of confidence once again. In the Whirly Dirly Conspiracy he mutilates Eathen for "messing with Summer's body image", when in reality it wasn't the case at all and Morty should've know better. He was basically like Rick, only worse, because the latter doesn't call his atrocities moral.
  5. Summer, oh boy did she become the most inconsistent character. In the Mad Max parody she goes completely wild, kills and claims not to care about dying, because of a divorce, as Morty implies. Maybe it wasn't for that reason, but it still felt a bit forced. Then she becomes a regular teenager again, then out of nowhere a superficial lethally stupid titan (by the way, "The Wirly Dirly Conspiracy" plot is my least favourite of the series), then a regular teenager again. Now that is a new level of flanderisation, exaggerating a different trait to no end each episode and creating a totally new personality or reusing an old one. Look on the bright side, patients of multiple personality disorder might relate to this.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3
First off, Pickle Rick was perfection.

Second off, how dare you.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I don't even watch the show, but I enjoyed your thoughtful analysis.
We don't take kindly to heresy in these here parts.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 30, 2019 at 8:20 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: First of all, if you liked this season I'm not gonna judge you. This thread isn't meant to attack anyone who disagrees with me, everyone should have their right to have an opinion.
With that said I also want to mention that even though there has been more than a year since this season, my opinions about it haven't changed much if at all.
I disliked every single episode. You know "The Ricklantis Mixup", a highly praised episode considered by fans one of the best in the series? I disliked it as well. There are many reasons why I felt towards it that way, but the main reason is that how on earth - or in this case in the multiverse - is it possible that millions of versions of an old genius - they themselves being geniuses - would let a 14 year old boy run for their president? I mean, sure it's fiction, but in this show kids are kids. They go to school, are financially dependent on their parents and lack life experience. Maybe in one or more universes things are different, but it's never established that evil Morty comes from such a universe, so I'm let to assume that in his universe kids are still kids. Granted, he is a genius, but we have no confirmation that the Ricks know that, and even if they did know it would still not make any sense, because they're geniuses as well. Not to mention that in real life genius kids are still kids. Even if they are above average intelligence, they still need a parent or guardian. It seems to me like the writers were to lazy to come with a more believable way for evil Morty to gain power.[...]

I'm sorry, let me get this straight - are we still talking about a show, that has a character named "Mr. Poopybutthole"? Rolleyes

The worst thing about the fanbase is that they have some unrealistic expectations of the show. It's just a dumb cartoon and it wasn't even THAT good to begin with. Stop treating it like it's meant to be some kind of an epic masterpiece, the pinnacle of sci-fi, or the voice of a generation. The novelty has worn off, so you can either enjoy the show for what it is - and always was, or move on to something else.

Don't get me wrong - I like "Rick and Morty" well enough, but I've consistently enjoyed just about half of the episodes and jokes, whereas the other half made me cringe.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(January 30, 2019 at 9:33 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote: I'm sorry, let me get this straight - are we still talking about a show, that has a character named "Mr. Poopybutthole"? Rolleyes

The worst thing about the fanbase is that they have some unrealistic expectations of the show. It's just a dumb cartoon and it wasn't even THAT good to begin with. Stop treating it like it's meant to be some kind of an epic masterpiece, the pinnacle of sci-fi, or the voice of a generation. The novelty has worn off, so you can either enjoy the show for what it is - and always was, or move on to something else.

Don't get me wrong - I like "Rick and Morty" well enough, but I've consistently enjoyed just about half of the episodes and jokes, whereas the other half made me cringe.

About Mr. Poopybutthole, his name has never bugged me, it's alright if you don't like it. Actually, I thought his name was funny at first, but you know that every joke stops being funny after you hear it more times. It's not a bad thing to give characters a funny name, as long as it's not offensive and you do good jokes with it. To the show's credit, it doesn't overuse the name, but there are other problems with this character. They made him a wife that follows the Minnie mouse principle, that means looking like the male character in drag. Seriously, they didn't even give her a different hat, and that is a masculine hat. I have nothing against females wearing men's clothing, I myself want to do it sometimes, but that doesn't excuse laziness, the hat could've been different and still masculine. They also made the baby look exactly like the father. You can't get away with this, unless you're using it for a good joke or you give an in universe explanation. They also tried to make a joke about Mr. Poopybutthole living a normal life, which isn't funny. It could've been funny if we saw other people's reactions to his name and/or appearance.

Charlie Chaplin
(January 30, 2019 at 8:53 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: I don't even watch the show, but I enjoyed your thoughtful analysis.

Thank you

Charlie Chaplin
(January 31, 2019 at 9:22 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: About Mr. Poopybutthole, his name has never bugged me, it's alright if you don't like it. Actually, I thought his name was funny at first, but you know that every joke stops being funny after you hear it more times. It's not a bad thing to give characters a funny name, as long as it's not offensive and you do good jokes with it.

I don't have a problem with the character, or the joke name. The whole charm of the joke is that it's dumb, infantile and random, yet it's played uncharacteristically straight.

My point is - "lazy" writing is one of the defining elements of "Rick and Morty". It's everywhere, including in Roiland's dialogue, which intentionally sounds not only unrehearsed, but often unscripted, as if the voice-over artist got a bit drunk and started making stuff up on the spot (which is probably what happens). It's in the random, meaningless catch-phrases, like "Lick-lick-lick my balls!", or "Get shwifty". It's in the Intergalactic Cable episodes, which are mostly just collections of throwaway ideas, that nobody can be bothered to develop, or work into regular episodes. It's in very prominent references to pop-culture, to the point of entire episodes based around popular movies, often mediocre ones, like "The Purge". The entire show started as a cheap parody of "Back To The Future"(Rick and Morty = Doc and Marty).

If you allow all that - you can't really blame the writers for not coming up with more convincing way for Evil Morty to gain power, or what-not. It might be dumb and unrealistic, but so is the entire show - and that's where lies a lot of its charm.
You shouldn't over-think it. The show's creators clearly don't.

(January 31, 2019 at 9:22 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: To the show's credit, it doesn't overuse the name, but there are other problems with this character. They made him a wife that follows the Minnie mouse principle, that means looking like the male character in drag. Seriously, they didn't even give her a different hat, and that is a masculine hat. I have nothing against females wearing men's clothing, I myself want to do it sometimes, but that doesn't excuse laziness, the hat could've been different and still masculine. They also made the baby look exactly like the father. You can't get away with this, unless you're using it for a good joke or you give an in universe explanation. They also tried to make a joke about Mr. Poopybutthole living a normal life, which isn't funny. It could've been funny if we saw other people's reactions to his name and/or appearance.

You see - you're over-thinking it. As I said, the whole point of Mr Poopybutthole is the fact that it's a ridiculous and lazy idea, which nobody within the show's Universe ever acknowledges. If the creators made him and his family fully fleshed-out and well designed characters - it would work against the joke.

Or maybe - just maybe - Mr Poopybutthole is... god. Panic He showed up out of nowhere, yet everyone treats him like a life-long old friend. He's ridiculous and out of place, but nobody makes fun of his name or his looks - not even cynical Rick. He knows he's in a cartoon and has the ability to follow the story, without actively taking part, as well as to address the viewers directly. His family look like him because they're one person - a Trinity, if you like... Wink
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Tried to watch it.

It's like steel panties, hard to get into.
Dying to live, living to die.
I watched a few episodes, but then I stopped watching it. Clearly, it didn't hold my attention.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chinese People Try Panda Express EgoDeath 26 2423 March 1, 2019 at 12:35 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here! Jehanne 38 2885 December 27, 2018 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 67011 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Foxaèr 10 1926 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 3704 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1072 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 925 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Hey Ho's, anyone else watching Survivor this season: GenX'ers vs Millennials Whateverist 3 1310 December 2, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Aegon
  Use A Video To Express Yourself Excited Penguin 46 3898 November 22, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Countdown to TWD season seven Foxaèr 0 623 September 30, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Foxaèr