Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*Matthew enters*
*Matthew enters*
Hi everyone,

Matthew here, a Christian from the UK, joining the forum to talk about different views of the world and theistic belief in particular. I became a Christian a few years ago while at university. I love reading and discussing philosophy, theology and biblical studies, and I hope to find others here with similar interests.

Look forward to meeting and learning from you,
Matthew
---------
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
RE: *Matthew enters*
Welcome along.

Why would you want to come to an atheist forum to discuss theistic belief? :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Hi Darwinian,

(January 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Why would you want to come to an atheist forum to discuss theistic belief? :S
Because atheists have views on theistic belief, e.g. some think that theistic belief is irrational.
Matthew
---------
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
(January 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm)Matthew Wrote: Hi Darwinian,

(January 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Why would you want to come to an atheist forum to discuss theistic belief? :S
Because atheists have views on theistic belief, e.g. some think that theistic belief is irrational.

Yes, well that's putting it politely.
Hi Minimalist,

(January 22, 2011 at 6:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(January 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm)Matthew Wrote: Because atheists have views on theistic belief, e.g. some think that theistic belief is irrational.
Yes, well that's putting it politely.
"When you have to kill a man..."
Matthew
---------
Winnie did have a way with words.
What were you before a christian and why did you convert?
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Hello Matthew, welcome along.

P.s is your avatar pic a picture of Raptor Jesus hatching from his egg?

Badger
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Greetings from Oz Mathew.

Hope you have a tough skin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 23, 2011 at 2:57 am)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: What were you before a christian and why did you convert?
I was a nihilist prior to becoming a Christian. I was unable to be a consistent nihilist either rationally or existentially, and God opened my eyes to see that. God pursued me until I admitted that what the Bible teaches about Him and about the world is true.
Matthew
---------