Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Struggle
Science Struggle
It's okay...we don't have to compete with the rest of the world in our science knowledge... Just as long as we're right with God, America will be juuust fiiine....

http://www.livescience.com/culture/ameri...10125.html
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Science Struggle
And gravity and evolution are "just" theories.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
Does this mean you'll be around more often and post more, peach? Smile
Possibly. I go through anti-social phases. Work is finally died down as well, so I'll likely be around more. Smile

Love that Camus quote. That's one for the ages.
In fact, I'm betting I could devote a whole essay just looking at that quote. I should try that. I'll report back. Wink
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
But I bet those kids' "self-esteem" is high. They may be as dumb as fucking rocks but the schools exist only to make them feel good about themselves!

Sad truth.

I was the last year as far as the "SOL" testing (read: Standards of Learning, or Shit Outta Luck) went that didn't HAVE to pass in order for the school to receive funding/credits/etc. The year afterwards had to pass...thus...the standards were lowered.
An issue George Carlin dealt with years ago.

(January 26, 2011 at 11:38 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: It's okay...we don't have to compete with the rest of the world in our science knowledge... Just as long as we're right with God, America will be juuust fiiine....

I'm sure the middle east thought that also right between the times of their scientific enlightenment and the current dark age from which they have yet to exit.
But whatever. As the religious folk like to say, God does not suffer fools.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7763 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4278 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe