Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Declawing Cats
Declawing Cats
I just read that this procedure has been outlawed in New York state, and I'm a little shocked.  New York is the first and only state in the US to make it illegal to declaw cats.  I'm shocked because I thought this barbarous practice would have long been illegal in all of the US, as it is in most civilized countries.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Declawing Cats
There are a number of things you'd think would be illegal, that still go on around here. I don't approve of declawing cats. It certainly doesn't help them. Though I guess it would cut down on the number of animals cats kill every year, as I've heard they're voracious predators.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 28, 2019 at 7:03 pm)Chad32 Wrote: There are a number of things you'd think would be illegal, that still go on around here. I don't approve of declawing cats. It certainly doesn't help them. Though I guess it would cut down on the number of animals cats kill every year, as I've heard they're voracious predators.

Cats killing other animals really doesn't justify mutilating cats.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 28, 2019 at 6:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I just read that this procedure has been outlawed in New York state, and I'm a little shocked.  New York is the first and only state in the US to make it illegal to declaw cats.  I'm shocked because I thought this barbarous practice would have long been illegal in all of the US, as it is in most civilized countries.

Boru

My father was a veterinarian though mostly large animal.  I knew from a young age that declawing was barbaric.  Dad did not like cats but he also didn't think declawing was an acceptable elective procedure.  

Not only is the procedure brutal and unnecessary, but a declawed cat may also start biting since it doesn't have it's claws and if one gets out they have lost the ability to climb and part of their ability to defend themselves from potential danger.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 28, 2019 at 7:17 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(July 28, 2019 at 6:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I just read that this procedure has been outlawed in New York state, and I'm a little shocked.  New York is the first and only state in the US to make it illegal to declaw cats.  I'm shocked because I thought this barbarous practice would have long been illegal in all of the US, as it is in most civilized countries.

Boru

My father was a veterinarian though mostly large animal.  I knew from a young age that declawing was barbaric.  Dad did not like cats but he also didn't think declawing was an acceptable elective procedure.  

Not only is the procedure brutal and unnecessary, but a declawed cat may also start biting since it doesn't have it's claws and if one gets out they have lost the ability to climb and part of their ability to defend themselves from potential danger.

I'm also given to understand that people who declaw cats do so primarily to protect their furniture.  If your furniture is that fucking important to you, maybe you should get goldfish instead of cats.

Boru
(July 28, 2019 at 7:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 28, 2019 at 7:03 pm)Chad32 Wrote: There are a number of things you'd think would be illegal, that still go on around here. I don't approve of declawing cats. It certainly doesn't help them. Though I guess it would cut down on the number of animals cats kill every year, as I've heard they're voracious predators.

Cats killing other animals really doesn't justify mutilating cats.

Boru

No, it doesn't. It's about the only reason I can think of, though, beyond just being for the convenience of the owner. Either way it ind of boils down to taking the easy wway out, at the expense of your pet, because you can't or won't train it properly. And yeah, if you declaw a cat, it just means your pet will start biting things much more often, and much harder. Because that becomes the only way it can grab something.

Hell, I tried just clipping a dog's nails a bit, and it flinched and started biting me. Imagine taking her claws and tips of her fingers off completely.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Last cat I declawed was very aggressive toward other cats, and any human in the house, other than me. He survived and learned some manners in the process.
(July 28, 2019 at 7:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 28, 2019 at 7:17 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: My father was a veterinarian though mostly large animal.  I knew from a young age that declawing was barbaric.  Dad did not like cats but he also didn't think declawing was an acceptable elective procedure.  

I'm also given to understand that people who declaw cats do so primarily to protect their furniture.  If your furniture is that fucking important to you, maybe you should get goldfish instead of cats.

Boru
Blue has never scratched a piece of furniture.  I learned from a previous cat to start early with scratching posts baited liberally with catnip until using it became habit.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 28, 2019 at 7:23 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Last cat I declawed was very aggressive toward other cats, and any human in the house, other than me. He survived and learned some manners in the process.

Shame on you.

Just curious.  If you had a dog with the habit of biting people, would you have his teeth removed?  If you had a horse who kicked people, would you have his legs amputated?

Boru
Torture and mutilation is known to change behavior. Doesn’t make it right.