Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We've Known About Climate Change for 53 years now.
Sad 
We've Known About Climate Change for 53 years now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgzz-L7G...r_embedded

It's kind of depressing that we've known everything scientists have been telling us for 53 years now (since 1958) about Global Climate Change and we've done jack shit about it.

On the positive side, all the US states that contained the largest portion of americans who typically don't believe in climate change and vote against laws and the people to create them concerning climate change will all be flooded.

Y'all have fun with that. I just wish Texas and Arizona would be completely submerged too, but I suppose some people need to be left behind to make fun of for their failure.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
RE: We've Known About Climate Change for 53 years now.
Fascinating, I've only been concerned for about 30 years.Thinking
Let's not confuse some people's hypothesis with a well validated and reviewed theory. Really credibly supported theory of climate change was a 1980s development.
(February 12, 2011 at 4:40 am)Chuck Wrote: Let's not confuse some people's hypothesis with a well validated and reviewed theory. Really credibly supported theory of climate change was a 1980s development.

Yup; 1980---2011= 31years
(February 12, 2011 at 4:40 am)Chuck Wrote: Let's not confuse some people's hypothesis with a well validated and reviewed theory. Really credibly supported theory of climate change was a 1980s development.

Granted ...31 years...but I am thnking the hypothesis was older than that and would accept 50+ years. A validated theory was not formulated until 1980's this is true
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
http://www.merchantsofdoubt.org/

Just started reading that - it sounds at first like it would be full of conspiracy tripe, but it's actually been pretty fascinating and I'm only in the second chapter. It might give a bit of insight.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Yup, we've known about climate change for years. Why haven't we done anything about it? Because there is no conclusive evidence that humans are causing it; all the evidence points to it being a completely natural occurrence.

Forget about political conspiracies as well; the scientific community have been arguing over this for years. Depending on who you ask, the Earth is either out of an Ice Age, or still in one. Depending on which, that means the temperature should be staying the same, or rising. Since it is rising, and ice core samples show this has happened before, I'm sticking with the theory that we're still in an Ice Age, and coming out of it.
I've remained skeptical of the whole issue for various reasons but also because we don't have enough evidence one way or the other to say all this isn't simply all one big *natural* cycle the planet and its parent star radiating onto it is going through. 'Climate change' is also a painfully obvious term, like the 'Beatles are a Rock Band', a young child can appreciate the climate is constantly changing. At the risk of sounding fallacious, we haven't been recording and making observations long enough yet. We still can't even predict next week's weather for crying out loud.

My biggest chief concern is that scientific consensus can be corrupted by political motives, namely how will the government tax the ever-loving-fuck out of us, or impose even more ridiculous legislation, than before.

Let's face it you get scientists and other supporters backing this shamefully and attacking their critics (what kind of valid-working theory cannot withstand moderate scrutiny? Not to mention Prince Charles, of all people, recently resorted to attacking skeptics this week) whenever and wherever there's government funding, if there were funding available to disprove or discredit the hypothesis in a so-called "anti-climate change" movement don't you think every academic and his dog would be eager to claim it?

For all our banging on the climate change bandwagon we can’t escape the fact, this planet started off without us, and it’ll die without us in a few more billion years even before the sun reaches red giant stage, which compared to the lifespan of the universe is 'trivial' to say the least.
JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP AND REALIZE THAT WE NEED RENEWABLE ENERGY! IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT IS CAUSING CLIMATE CHANGE! NOT USING SHIT AS FUEL IS HEALTHIER OVER ALL AND LESS EXPENSIVE IN THE LONG RUN!

We need renewable energy(wind, solar) because it makes more sense. There is no need to be conservative about energy... it makes less sense.

I hope to one day become an alternative energy engineer and I hope I can one day change your views.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I'm not against renewable energy; never said I was. What I object to is governments forcing us to be "green" when there isn't a shred of evidence suggesting that we are responsible for climate change. If governments or communities want to go green, it's fine by me, as long as it isn't forced on people as it is today.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Supreme Court has just declared combating climate change unconstitutional Rev. Rye 8 1428 July 5, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Climate Change - Human Extinction Rahn127 29 3737 January 30, 2019 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 54731 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  How to find forces that are not yet known? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 4484 September 21, 2015 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  Climate Change Science Aractus 19 3587 March 16, 2014 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Aractus
  What's 700 Million Years Among Friends? Minimalist 15 3492 September 27, 2013 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Searching4truth
  President Obama's Climate Change Speech Cato 6 2208 June 26, 2013 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Will we witness the transition from a type 0 to a type I civilization in 100 years? L.A.F. 29 8531 June 6, 2013 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  Environmentalism and Climate Change KichigaiNeko 19 7631 August 4, 2012 at 12:35 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NCSE's Climate Change Education Page Justtristo 2 1228 June 3, 2012 at 6:29 am
Last Post: Tiberius