Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Absurdism
Question 
Absurdism
I would like to introduce the members to my philosophy; Absurdism.

*wikipedia explains it pretty good*

In philosophy, "The Absurd" refers to the conflict between the human tendency to seek inherent meaning in life and the human inability to find any. In this context absurd does not mean "logically impossible," but rather "humanly impossible." The universe and the human mind do not each separately cause the Absurd, but rather, the Absurd arises by the contradictory nature of the two existing simultaneously.

Absurdism, therefore, is a philosophical school of thought stating that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning will ultimately fail (and hence are absurd), because no such meaning exists, at least in relation to the individual. As a philosophy, absurdism also explores the fundamental nature of the Absurd and how individuals, once becoming conscious of the Absurd, should react to it.

Absurdism is very closely related to existentialism and nihilism.

In absurdist philosophy, the Absurd arises out of the fundamental disharmony between the individual's search for meaning and the apparent meaninglessness of the universe. As beings looking for meaning in a meaningless world, humans have three ways of resolving the dilemma. Kierkegaard and Camus describe the solutions in their works, The Sickness Unto Death (1849) and The Myth of Sisyphus (1942):

-Suicide (or, "escaping existence"): a solution in which a person simply ends one's own life. Both Kierkegaard and Camus dismiss the viability of this option. Camus states that it does not counter the Absurd, but only becomes more absurd, to end one's own existence.

-Religious, spiritual, or abstract belief in a transcendent realm, being, or idea (or, "escaping reality"): a solution in which one believes in the existence of a reality that is beyond the Absurd, and, as such, has meaning. Kierkegaard stated that a belief in anything beyond the Absurd requires a non-rational but perhaps necessary religious acceptance in such an intangible and empirically unprovable thing (now commonly referred to as a "leap of faith"). However, Camus regarded this solution, and others, as "philosophical suicide".

-Acceptance of the Absurd: a solution in which one accepts the Absurd and continues to live in spite of it. Camus endorsed this solution, believing that by accepting the Absurd, one can achieve absolute freedom, and that by recognizing no religious or other moral constraints and by revolting against the Absurd while simultaneously accepting it as unstoppable, one could possibly be content from the personal meaning constructed in the process. Kierkegaard, on the other hand, regarded this solution as "demoniac madness": "He rages most of all at the thought that eternity might get it into its head to take his misery from him!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism
RE: Absurdism
Owwch!!! Wall of text!!

You can just post a linky ...in fact see our http://atheistforums.org/forum-40.html for a complete list of the preferred dos and don'ts. And BB codes
Cheers!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 16, 2011 at 3:01 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Owwch!!! Wall of text!!

You can just post a linky ...in fact see our http://atheistforums.org/forum-40.html for a complete list of the preferred dos and don'ts. And BB codes
Cheers!

Sorry..let me edit it down some...new to the forum, will get the hang of the do's and dont's ASAP.

I agree a great deal with Absurdism as far as meaning and value is concerned, I firmly believe that all values that exist are the products of or are in relation to desires and there is therefore no intrinsic value in the universe, but as far as Metaethics is concerned I tend to disagree, I do believe that there are objective facts to be determined about what desires are good/bad in terms of their ability to promote or thwart other desires and we can therefore make meaningful and useful claims about moral right and wrong that are based solely on phenomenon that we are certain exists.
(February 16, 2011 at 3:07 am)reverendjeremiah Wrote:
(February 16, 2011 at 3:01 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Owwch!!! Wall of text!!

Cheers!

Sorry..let me edit it down some...new to the forum, will get the hang of the do's and dont's ASAP.

Nae problemo....everyone experiences the same issue.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 16, 2011 at 4:06 am)theVOID Wrote: I agree a great deal with Absurdism as far as meaning and value is concerned, I firmly believe that all values that exist are the products of or are in relation to desires and there is therefore no intrinsic value in the universe, but as far as Metaethics is concerned I tend to disagree, I do believe that there are objective facts to be determined about what desires are good/bad in terms of their ability to promote or thwart other desires and we can therefore make meaningful and useful claims about moral right and wrong that are based solely on phenomenon that we are certain exists.

I came across abusurdism a few years ago as the result of philosophical discussions. Some theists would ask me what my philosophy was and make a good point that atheism isnt really much of a philosophy and more of a denial of religions in general. I studied many philosophies and came across a few I agree with to a point, but none as well as Absurdism. Its simple and to the point. I dont mind being called atheist or agnostic, both fit me well..but it was missing something. It was missing a REASON why I didnt mind those titles. My reasons are it doesnt matter to me if a god, or billions of deities exist.. it is absurd to worship such things. For all I know an infinite amount of gods and goddesses exist and they all bicker over things we humans consider trivial..like the placement of dust and sand and the shapes of salt crystals..that is JUST as legitimately absurd (and can use damn near every argument they use for their gods) as a savior Jeebus or a hundred armed Kali death goddess. So it goes something like this with me:
- Fundie - "If I could prove to you without a doubt, would you turn to Jesus?"
- Me - "No.."
- Fundie - "Even if it meant everlasting paradise in the afterlife?"
- Me - "Especially if it meant an eternal afterlife."
- Fundie- *looks bewildered and shocked*
- Me - "An eternal afterlife to me would be an eternity of torture ad absurdum. Non-existence is the only true peace eternal."
- Fundie - "Then you are suicidal with no hope?"
- Me - "Nope, it would be stupid to kill myself and speed up the process I am going to eventually meet up with anyways. As far as hope, I hope about many things; Hope my wife doesnt get sick. Hope my kids dont get killed. Hope my wife doesnt get robbed.. but that hope is nothing more than vanity which brings pain because ultimately things like that are out of my hands when it comes to the properties of this cold, dark cosmos. Eventually they too will die, as well as you, and all of their "meanings of life" will mean nothing."
- Fundie - "Wow, that sounds depressing."
- Me - "Sometimes it is, but running away from reality of our ultimate fate is even more depressing to me. It means embracing a comforting lie and comitting intellectual suicide. From my point of view you are asking me to ignore the truth and live a lie.. I cannot do that"
- Fundie - "You mind if I ask why you dont like Jesus then?"
- Me - "I dont mind..its because I read the bible cover to cover twice. I was a Christian when I started and by the time I finished I was 100% sure that Jebus and God were absolute pricks."

Why is it that your diety insists that I must acknowledge its existence in order to avoid being punished? Something smells fishy..and it aint Sweet Baby Jesus' fleece diapers.
Thank you for your introduction. I've been attracted to Absurdism ever since I read about it rather recently. However I'm not sure that I'm bothered labeling myself as an Absurdist - despite the fact that I agree with Absurdism fully - but that's simply because I'm getting tired of labeling myself altogether.
(February 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: Thank you for your introduction. I've been attracted to Absurdism ever since I read about it rather recently. However I'm not sure that I'm bothered labeling myself as an Absurdist - despite the fact that I agree with Absurdism fully - but that's simply because I'm getting tired of labeling myself altogether.

Hey, thats cool..most of the time I dont care much for labels either, but thats the only way we can come about identifying thoughts and actions and things. Its like you're damned if you do and damned if you dont...exactly what absurdism states..LOL...

Well, I think labeling things might add to the problem of my obsessive thoughts that I am currently suffering from.
:-)........