Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 3:34 am

Poll: The Death Penalty
This poll is closed.
I support it
40.66%
37 40.66%
I oppose it
59.34%
54 59.34%
Total 91 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why?
Exclamation 
The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why?
VOTING INSTRUCTIONS: If you support the death penalty for ANY reason, or for ANY law, then you support the death penalty on this poll. So, for example, if you support the death penalty for murder but not for rape then you would vote "I support it". If you are completely against the death penalty then you vote would vote "I oppose it".

If you post on this discussion, I only ask that you vote in the poll (either before or after discussion) as well so that we can see how this strong atheist community views the death penalty.

I started this thread as the result of a conversation with Ashendant so that we can discuss it more indepth and in topic with the rest of the membership on this wonderful forum.

Thankyou
RE: The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why?
'The Death Penalty'

Can we have a clear definition as to what crimes this penalty will be applied to??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Yeah, it really depends on the crime... I don't think I could say I totally support it or I totally oppose it. But it's also hard to draw the line, to decide who deserves it and who doesn't. If I hear about a father who kept his children in a dungeon for years and raped them regularly before torturing and killing them... yeah, I think that bastard deserves to die.

But ultimately, I think whether the death penalty is warranted or not must be considered on a case-by-case basis.
[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
I'd need a choice marked "support in certain situations."

Having a grandstanding district attorney who to get re-elected by showing voters how "tough" he is on crime would not be one of those situations.
I will post here now, but I will edit the original post to mirror it.

If you support the death penalty for ANY reason, or for any law, then you support the death penalty on this poll. So if you support the death penalty for murder, but not for rape, then on this poll you would vote "I support it".

If you are completely against the death penalty, then you vote "I oppose it".
Min and only natural would vote "I support it" in this situation. Please come back and vote it when you get a chance. Sorry, I thought the question was pretty clear and point blank.
I support it in the cases of violent repeat offenders or psychologically unstable violent offenders who's continual existence is going to have a great negative impact on society both in terms of the crimes themselves and the cost of incarceration on societies resources.
I see alot of posts saying "I support because.., but not because.." but not voting support in the poll. Please add to the poll and lets see those stats build up.

Thankyou for contributing.
Killing people for their crimes doesn't actually solve anything. I'd propose that if they murder someone, they essentially sacrifice a few of their rights. So instead of killing them, just throw them in the gulag.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
I voted for it based on our prison system at the moment. If it changed, perhaps I would change my mind.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I agree with SummerQueen..

Why should we keep murderers alive at the expense of society and our hard earned tax $$$

This is my thinking
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 dollar stands firmly against 1 hryvnia. Why? Interaktive 6 410 June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 1989 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 15846 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is What You're Up Against With Drumpfucks Minimalist 20 2497 March 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Argument against the death penalty by a r-wing conservative Catholic_Lady 0 685 December 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Death Penalty Vote brewer 55 9067 October 12, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2066 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Remember Progressives.... This Is What You Are Defending Against Minimalist 19 2693 May 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Just another reason why I'm against guns. Foxaèr 12 1507 May 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Views on the Death Penalty? (a poll) Catholic_Lady 171 23254 July 9, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady