Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:02 am

Poll: Labor Unions - are you for or against it and why?
This poll is closed.
I support it
90.32%
28 90.32%
I oppose it
9.68%
3 9.68%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Labor Unions - are you for or against it and why?
Brick 
Labor Unions - are you for or against it and why?
VOTING INSTRUCTIONS: Either you support a right for labor unions to exist or you do not. Example: If you support NYPNU's (Nurses Union) right to exist but you oppose IBT's (International Brotherhood of Teamsters) right to exist then you would vote "I support it". If you oppose any and all forms of labor unions then you would vote "I oppose it".

If you post on this discussion, I only ask that you vote in the poll (either before or after discussion) as well so that we can see how this strong atheist community views labor unions.

Thankyou
RE: Labor Unions - are you for or against it and why?
I'm for people having the right to form them, can't say I'm a big fan in general however.
They are all that the working man has.
I support them as long as they don't grow abusive
(February 18, 2011 at 2:28 am)Minimalist Wrote: They are all that the working man has.

That must be why they're in decline right? And why the vast majority of the working population doesn't use them? Or perhaps the minuscule wage rises that they bring aren't actually worth the fees to belong to one...
Unions are in great decline, mostly due to economic pressures on employers to take more. In my case, Local Government in the UK, employers can pretty much do what they like, and we're at an all time low. Employees are apathetic, and are successfully deceived.
Unions are a counterbalance to the power of the employer. All the rights workers have are down to successful battles fought by the unions.

Unions are a neccesary part of a free society.

I am a union member myself, my father used to be a union representative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMKsR_wUSfA

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(February 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm)theVOID Wrote: That must be why they're in decline right? And why the vast majority of the working population doesn't use them? Or perhaps the minuscule wage rises that they bring aren't actually worth the fees to belong to one...

They are in decline because not all unions are greedy. I am an elected union representative in the american state of Virginia and I try to convice my union that right now is not the time to be asking for wage increases so that we can stay competitive. This is where me and you differ VOID, as much as I enjoy our discussions. I have a very intimate knowledge of unionism.

(February 19, 2011 at 8:50 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: I am a union member myself, my father used to be a union representative.

I am the duly elected union examiner and the duly elected loan officer for the Credit Union. glad to meet another brother. "POWER TO THE PEOPLE!" LOL.

Great
Biased much?

joking Smile
(February 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm)theVOID Wrote:
(February 18, 2011 at 2:28 am)Minimalist Wrote: They are all that the working man has.

That must be why they're in decline right? And why the vast majority of the working population doesn't use them? Or perhaps the minuscule wage rises that they bring aren't actually worth the fees to belong to one...

I don't know how it is where you are but here the problem is that the employers outsource production work to cheap facilities overseas. Yes, unions are in decline but American manufacturing is even farther in the shitter.

I hope you aren't like Adrian and think that trusting the corporate whores to do the right thing by the working man is the way to go?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 dollar stands firmly against 1 hryvnia. Why? Interaktive 6 401 June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump labor pick Pizella promoted sweatshops. The Industrial Atheist 9 904 August 24, 2017 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 1979 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 15738 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is What You're Up Against With Drumpfucks Minimalist 20 2461 March 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2034 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Remember Progressives.... This Is What You Are Defending Against Minimalist 19 2680 May 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Just another reason why I'm against guns. Foxaèr 12 1501 May 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Secular reasons for and against legalising abortion Dolorian 80 10381 October 29, 2014 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Cato
  Happy Labor Day Minimalist 0 540 September 1, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist