Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malaria 'completely stopped' by microbe

Scientists have discovered a microbe that completely protects mosquitoes from being infected with malaria.
The team in Kenya and the UK say the finding has "enormous potential" to control the disease.
Malaria is spread by the bite of infected mosquitoes, so protecting them could in turn protect people.
The researchers are now investigating whether they can release infected mosquitoes into the wild, or use spores to suppress the disease.

The malaria-blocking bug, Microsporidia MB, was discovered by studying mosquitoes on the shores of Lake Victoria in Kenya. It lives in the gut and genitals of the insects.
The researchers could not find a single mosquito carrying the Microsporidia that was harbouring the malaria parasite. And lab experiments, published in Nature Communications, confirmed the microbe gave the mosquitoes protection.
Microsporidias are fungi, or at least closely related to them, and most are parasites.
However, this new species may be beneficial to the mosquito and was naturally found in around 5% of the insects studied.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52530828
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Malaria 'completely stopped' by microbe
Autistic mosquitoes!!!
Dying to live, living to die.
I prefere fried mosquitos!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I never thought I'd see the day in which malaria could be stopped by protecting the mosquitoes! Some truths are, indeed, stranger than fiction.  Clap
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1062 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye