Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian Cox: Im-not-anti-religion.-Im-anti-maniac
Brian Cox: Im-not-anti-religion.-Im-anti-maniac
Don't know if this should be here or if BBC has put the shows mentioned on air yet but...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/83308...aniac.html

At least now I know who this guy is...(mmmm eyecandy with a whole lot of smarts) Go Brian!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Brian Cox: Im-not-anti-religion.-Im-anti-maniac
(February 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Don't know if this should be here or if BBC has put the shows mentioned on air yet but...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/83308...aniac.html

At least now I know who this guy is...(mmmm eyecandy with a whole lot of smarts) Go Brian!!

I watched bits of his Wonders of the Universe series, it was fantastic.
undefined
[attachment=439]

At least now I KNOW who this cutie is!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I love this man. He is clearly very intelligent and presents his information in a very understandable way. The shows I've seen of his on TV have been very accessible and I even watched some with my little brother. He's also a pretty funny guy when I've seen him on chat shows or comedy panel shows.

Also, I may or may not have a little man crush on him.
I've seen him on the Science Channel before! He's too smart for me. ;(
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6uKZWnJLCM

I wish I had his hair, his good looks, his voice, his dazzling smile, and his refined brain. ;_;

My only gripe with him is that he doesn't explain why he finds climate change skeptics frustrating... afterall science thrives on skepticism.
He also used to be the keyboard player in this group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIj-6fr2SlI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(physicist)

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

His TV series is just beautiful (and he's pretty gorgeous himself). All I have to do is watch something like this to remind myself that reality is so much more awe-inspiring than religious nonsense.

Quote:Who are we? Where do we come from? For thousands of years humanity has turned to religion and myth for answers to these enduring questions. But in this series, Brian Cox presents a different set of answers - answers provided by science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTP9WQJBI...re=related
[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
(April 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm)OnlyNatural Wrote: All I have to do is watch something like this to remind myself that reality is so much more awe-inspiring than religious nonsense.

Well, for me, all this beauty in the universe only reminds me more and more of an intelligent designer.

I have always loved to watch documentaries on things like nature, animals, the universe, etc. and I think they inspire me just as much as it does to any of you. Smile
(April 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm)Rayaan Wrote:
(April 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm)OnlyNatural Wrote: All I have to do is watch something like this to remind myself that reality is so much more awe-inspiring than religious nonsense.

Well, for me, all this beauty in the universe only reminds me more and more of an intelligent designer.

I really wonder why God would bother creating and orchestrating a 14-billion year old universe, with its billions of galaxies, all full of stars and planets and most likely other life as well, only to concern himself obsessively with the thoughts and behaviours of one particular species of primate living on one particular rock in space.

If astronomers discovered life on other planets, perhaps even intelligent life, would that change your perceptions at all? Would that make us less special?

I think humans tend to infer an intelligent designer because 1) we are the most complex, intelligent beings that we know of, 2) we use our intelligence to design complex things, therefore 3) we look at the world and the universe in their massive complexity, and assume that these things must also have had a designer.

Rayaan Wrote:I have always loved to watch documentaries on things like nature, animals, the universe, etc. and I think they inspire me just as much as it does to any of you. Smile

I think it's awesome that both of us can appreciate and be inspired by the same things, despite our ideological differences Smile
[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inetersting tweet by proffessor Brain Cox. downbeatplumb 33 4142 November 3, 2018 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why I love Brian Cox SteelCurtain 5 1284 February 20, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Brian Cox interview 5thHorseman 6 2841 December 10, 2011 at 7:56 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Brian Cox: Why we need the explorers The_Flying_Skeptic 0 1431 June 3, 2010 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: The_Flying_Skeptic