Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Donation Drive 2011!!!
Donation Drive 2011!!!
Yes, it's that time of year again when we need to pay for another year's rental on the server! I've always held that this forum is owned by the people who contribute to it, and the only reason we are still up and running (the server has been running continuously for 297 days) is because of our members who generously donate their hard earned cash, as well as those who generate discussion with their posts.

Since this time last year, our members have created 2,900 new threads, and have written a staggering 60,382 posts. It is with this dedication in mind that the staff humbly ask for donations to cover the cost of the server (and various other expenses, such as domain registration) for a year.

I am currently unsure as to whether the 20% discount we got last year is still in place, and so for now I am assuming it is not. This means that I am setting the donation target at $700 USD. The cost of renting the server for a year is set at $662 (this may change depending on whether our discount is still in effect), and the additional $38 is for domain registration and other expenses we may incur within the next year.

So, what are your incentives to donate? Well, there is always the lovely feeling you get when helping a community you are part of, but in case you need more encouragement, all donators are put into a special group in the forums, where they are allowed a different coloured username (light green). I am also considering adding several "premium" features to the forum (mainly in customisation) this year, which only donators will be able to use. No current features will be removed from non-premium members; any features given to premium members will be completely new.

To keep track of donations, I will be updating the donation bar at the top of the forums daily, and will add a list of members who have donated under it. We need to pay for the server on 30th April 2011, so that gives us just over 2 months to make 0% turn into 100%. To donate, either click the donate button, or go to: http://atheistforums.org/donate.php

If you make a donation and want to be in the donators group, you will need to PM me with the details you used to make the donation (email / name) so I can link the donation to your account on the forums. If you don't do this, I won't be able to add you to the group, and your donation will be listed as "anonymous".

Thanks!
-Atheist Forums Staff
RE: Donation Drive 2011!!!
I'm very sorry. I would donate but I'm in a bit of a tough financial state. Sad
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I'm going to have to rustle up some cash Smile Might be a little while considering.
Done........
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Just donated 5 GBP, it has me up there as "annonymous"..Normally I prefer donations as being annonymous, but I think this once I would like some credit. I plan on donating more soon.
I'm in a tough finantial state, but I do thing AF deserves something, count me in Adrian, I'll just need to figure out the way to do it.
I donated 10 british pounds early this morning...
Its looking good at 24% right now. I cant believe that this site costs so much to run each year...are you using union labor? If so then good for you and it is money well spent. If not then perhaps you should shop around for a better deal.

Regardless..one quarter of the money being reached in such a short amount of time is a good sign..it shows the members are active.
(February 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Its looking good at 24% right now. I cant believe that this site costs so much to run each year...are you using union labor? If so then good for you and it is money well spent. If not then perhaps you should shop around for a better deal.

Regardless..one quarter of the money being reached in such a short amount of time is a good sign..it shows the members are active.
Our Dedicated Server is actually one of the cheapest around. We have too big a site to use normal web-hosting; the traffic alone (http://atheistforums.org/webalizer) comes to over 14GB per month (and that figure doesn't even count images). We tried a VPS but it was too slow. This server runs nicely for now, and probably will for another year, although next year we may have to get something a bit more powerful...we'll see.
I just tried it again but I'm still not sure if it went through.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Donation Changes Tiberius 84 9449 May 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Donation Statistics Tiberius 17 5699 May 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  New Donation Groups Tiberius 62 16572 January 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Donation Updates Tiberius 14 6553 March 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Member Awards 2011 - Results! Tiberius 75 33157 January 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah