Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here’s A ‘What If’
Here’s A ‘What If’
Let’s assume Biden wins in November. Let’s further assume that Trump doesn’t contest the result, and even shows good sportsmanship by attending the inauguration (remember, this is a hypothetical).

On Inauguration Day, but before either Harris or Biden are sworn in, Trump has a massive coronary and dies on the spot. Pence is now, legally, the President. After the necessary delays, Biden is duly sworn in at noon and Pence is now a former President.

Question: having been President for just, say, two hours, would Pence get all the perks of a former President? Presidential pension, portrait in the White House, Presidential library, ongoing Secret Service protection, etc?

I’ve looked - briefly - online, but there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer on this. 

Put another way, is there a minimum amount of time a President has to serve in order to be entitled to all the post-Presidential goodies?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Here’s A ‘What If’
Wouldn't the parasite die without its host?
Not right away.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The GOP would insist on strict observation of the rules, said rules not having a minimum time in the office. I think Tom Clancy covered this in the book where Jack Ryan becomes President by being sworn in a Vice President before hand or some such. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Executive-Order...ing1955-21
That's an interesting, if pointless, question.

I would assume that he would get all the perks and the historic mention although it would always be accompanied by the footnote noting the shortness of his service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Harrison

William Henry Harrison served very shortly as president although his term was cut short by his death so the question about perks stopped right at the end of his life. 32 days in office wow.
(September 20, 2020 at 5:36 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: That's an interesting, if pointless, question.

I would assume that he would get all the perks and the historic mention although it would always be accompanied by the footnote noting the shortness of his service.

William Henry Harrison served very shortly as president although his term was cut short by his death so the question about perks stopped right at the end of his life. 32 days in office wow.

Didn't he give a three hour speech in shitty weather at his augural?
(September 20, 2020 at 5:38 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(September 20, 2020 at 5:36 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: That's an interesting, if pointless, question.

Didn't he give a three hour speech in shitty weather at his augural?

Wiki says nearly two but then he rode around the town so who knows how long that took?

"He took the oath of office on Thursday, March 4, 1841, a cold and wet day.[103] He braved the cold weather and chose not to wear an overcoat or a hat, rode on horseback to the ceremony rather than in the closed carriage that had been offered him, and delivered the longest inaugural address in American history[103] at 8,445 words. It took him nearly two hours to read, although his friend and fellow Whig Daniel Webster had edited it for length. He became the first head of state to have his photograph taken, then rode through the streets in the inaugural parade[104] and attended three inaugural balls that evening,[105] including one at Carusi's Saloon entitled the "Tippecanoe" ball with 1,000 guests who had paid $10 per person (equal to $297 in 2020).[106]"

It's hardly pointless - it was a hypothetical, the point of which is to create a discussion.  Doesn't have to be a productive discussion, either.

I agree, though.  Pence would be the 46th US President, get his picture up, the library, and all the rest of it. I know there's an upper limit of ten years for being President, I was wondering if there was a lower limit.

Boru

Edit: Harrison wouldn’t apply, since there were no post-Presidential perks available at the time of his death.
Quote:Trump has a massive coronary and dies on the spot

This gave me a hardon!@
Stop teasing!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(September 21, 2020 at 12:09 am)ignoramus Wrote:
Quote:Trump has a massive coronary and dies on the spot

This gave me a hardon!@
Stop teasing!

Apparently my political slogan, "Sniper for Trump, 2020!" isn't very polite.
Dying to live, living to die.