Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I can't wear a mask" "alternative products?
"I can't wear a mask" "alternative products?
Suddenly I have seen a couple of companies advertise plastic shields as an alternative to wearing masks on tv. They are NOT a replacement for masks, they are a reinforcement. The direct contact of a mouth nose mask is the first and best line of defense. 

The plastic shields are intended for surgery and possible splatter, not air born contagions. They are certainly excellent back up for a mask, but they are NOT a replacement.

Laypeople who buy this dangerous marketing, don't understand it isn't about sneezing or coughing or even feeling sick. A virus can float in the air unseen, and it can go through air conditioning/heating systems and circulate in any direction, up or down depending on air flow in the building you are in. And it isn't just about airflow, it is also about touching things and transferring by touching other surfaces that others touch.

There is ultimately no replacement outside a vaccine for a mouth nose contact mask. 

And not even a mask it all there is to it. 

It is a combo of things.

Washing your hands frequently.
Cleaning all surfaces constantly.
WEARING A MASK
Keeping your distance from others.

And every time I see these new ads, all I can think is has the FDA or AMA approved the use as advertised?
RE: "I can't wear a mask" "alternative products?
(September 24, 2020 at 3:11 am)Brian37 Wrote: And every time I see these new ads, all I can think is has the FDA or AMA approved the use as advertised?

Look at the weasel words to get a clue.
Only cork sucking selfish bastages refuse to wear masks!

I sincerely hope that they contract the virus, pass it on to their family, then their entire family dies, and they survive. That would be awesome.
(September 24, 2020 at 7:35 am)no one Wrote: Only cork sucking selfish bastages refuse to wear masks!

I sincerely hope that they contract the virus, pass it on to their family, then their entire family dies, and they survive. That would be awesome.

I am not into vengeance. 

Long before this virus, my late mother did and said things that upset me because I knew what she claimed was wrong. 

My best friend whom is from Oklahoma, whose dad is a Trump supporter, I would not wish ill on.

If you want to go after the top, Trump and the GOP in congress, I am with you. But families in general are never monochromatic.

I am attacking these companies that know better, but don't care.
I have absolutely no pity for the willfully ignorant.
I had a dental appointment a couple weeks ago. I was wearing one of the masks I made. In came a gentleman with a disposable medical mask followed by a woman with a cloth mask. All our masks were properly covering our noses and mouths.

Then in comes a woman with no mask. She dug out a ratty mask from her purse and put it on. It drooped down exposing her nose. As she waited to be called to the sign-in window she pulled the mask down to where it basically covered her chin. At the window she pulled it back up over her mouth but her nose was still exposed. Then she took paperwork to fill out and sat down where she again moved the mask to her chin. It was pretty obvious that she was technically wearing a mask though what she was doing was useless.

The guidelines have been pretty clear that a double layer cloth mask covering the nose and mouth is the good choice and one with a filter even better. There are those who don't go so far as to not wear a mask at all but draw the line at wearing one properly. As long as they have a mask on somewhere near their face they are technically following the rules.

The face shields, I suppose, are better than nothing but without a mask they are not the best choice. When you see a sign outside a business that states a face covering is required the face shield fills that requirement.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

It's a sorry state of affairs were I live.

We were, evident from tests, Covid-19 free for a bit over 2 months from April to June, when the first cases appeared inside the country in early March.

After June, even with mandatory testing of every passenger and crew of both ships and aircraft to the country, no more cases were detected - but it was here, despite our ignorance. Russian trawlers that docked at our ports, the entire crew had Covid-19 from tests our health officials made, so they were quarantined to their ships - not allowed to disembark.

However, there was, not unexpectedly, an incident when a ship docked at the port of Klaksvík and a lot of the sailors wandered around the city, entering shops and cafes - I guess someone didn't get the memo or they didn't care. Either way, the effect was the same, Covid-19, AFAWK was re-introduced to the populace. This was only compounded further when soon thereafter our annual festival Ólavsøka was held in the capital Tórshavn, practically everyone didn't wear a mask or socially distanced thanks to apathy. We knew Covid-19 was back, but we didn't care or act.

Even now, with Covid-19 flaring up again, there is a noticeable difference in the attitude between the people. When the virus first appeared in March, there was a sense of fear in the atmosphere, people took this quite seriously and followed the guidelines our health officials made to the letter. Now? I can only conclude that people's indifference will result in deaths, even though no one has died, so far, from Covid-19 here. There have been hospitalizations, a few in the intensive care unit, but I fear the worst is yet to come.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
This is what you need....

[Image: helmet.jpg]
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(September 24, 2020 at 8:07 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I had a dental appointment a couple weeks ago.  I was wearing one of the masks I made.  In came a gentleman with a disposable medical mask followed by a woman with a cloth mask.  All our masks were properly covering our noses and mouths.

Then in comes a woman with no mask.  She dug out a ratty mask from her purse and put it on.  It drooped down exposing her nose.  As she waited to be called to the sign-in window she pulled the mask down to where it basically covered her chin.  At the window she pulled it back up over her mouth but her nose was still exposed.  Then she took paperwork to fill out and sat down where she again moved the mask to her chin.  It was pretty obvious that she was technically wearing a mask though what she was doing was useless.

The guidelines have been pretty clear that a double layer cloth mask covering the nose and mouth is the good choice and one with a filter even better.  There are those who don't go so far as to not wear a mask at all but draw the line at wearing one properly.  As long as they have a mask on somewhere near their face they are technically following the rules.

The face shields, I suppose, are better than nothing but without a mask they are not the best choice.  When you see a sign outside a business that states a face covering is required the face shield fills that requirement.

I really hate the half assed people who  "wear" a mask but don't do it properly. I actually hate them more than the assholes who don't wear one at all.

(September 24, 2020 at 9:12 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: This is what you need....

[Image: helmet.jpg]

HA HA HA HA HA HA.......

I know what this is, and I wonder how many "youngens" do.

My late adoptive parents had a scale model brass replica of this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  " I helped nab Bin Laden , but can't wear a mask". Brian37 39 2259 August 23, 2020 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  I ain't wearing no mask.... onlinebiker 31 1240 July 15, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Has anyone noticed the decrease in mask usage? TaraJo 40 1889 July 4, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] Can you sew? Can you save a life? Gawdzilla Sama 30 2584 April 5, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Maybe They Should Just Wear Burqas? Minimalist 20 1676 August 30, 2018 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Arrests at Million Mask March account_inactive 11 1439 November 6, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Dumpster behind the mask. Brian37 46 4522 March 6, 2016 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Dutch soldiers told not to wear their uniforms for fear of Muslim aggression ForumMember77 14 2929 October 1, 2014 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb