Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Censorship, rape culture and free-speech
Censorship, rape culture and free-speech
I have a few webcomics I occasionally visit out of respect of my earlier interests. One such is Penny Arcade, a comic that makes fun of every thing.

They've had comics making fun of pedophiles, DRM, bestiality, etc,. Pretty much everything.

But god save you if you dare make fun of rape.

What are your thoughts on this?

The offender (mirrored):
[Image: 965474677_7etTF-L.jpg]
REF: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/8/11/

A timeline detailing the factions:
REF: http://debacle.tumblr.com/post/304194086...a-timeline

And, of course, the "final point" from the offended side:
REF: http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2...it-is.html

A choice section that ticked me off, as the author seems to view their "space" (which is, in reality, owned by a company, with all the rights and privileges pertaining to; hence that author does not own it, merely the content added by said author):

Quote:When I ask a person not to engage in rape apologia in this space, because it is my space and I have not only not consented to host rape apologia here, but have also explicitly and repeatedly deemed it off-limits, and that person continues to engage in rape apologia nonetheless, without regard for my boundaries or personal autonomy, that's not exactly someone who's demonstrating a commitment to the notions of consent, autonomy, and respect.

That's someone who's leveraging the values of a rape culture to violate my boundaries.

That's someone who's acting like a fucking rapist.

/...snip -- stuff removed -- ref contains full body .../

It's not good enough to say, "Lots of people can laugh at that without hurting anybody," not when laughing along conveys approval of the rape culture, whose vales are embraced by the people who do hurt other people. They aren't formed and they don't exist in a void—and the only responsible position, if you're not inclined to be their ally, is to have a zero tolerance policy on rape as entertainment.

Otherwise, you're just creating opportunities for Bad Guys to have their fucked-up values reaffirmed and for Nice Guys to communicate silent approval.

There is no neutral in the rape culture.

[Image: 1294188587218.png]
RE: Censorship, rape culture and free-speech
Talk about missing the point. The idea was no matter how bad the victims are being mistreated, the *game* won't let you rescue more than five of them. The actual comic was just a situation setting that up & showing the absurdity of it.

BTW, last time I looked, there were no such thing as dickwolves. I hope her thoughtcrime accusations get her little blog a lot of pageviews.

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Read through the time time line of this incident because I had no idea any of it was happening and its really amazing how much of a shit storm a cartoon is causing. A cartoon that, as far as I'm concerned, is pretty tame and CLEARLY isn't laughing at rape.

No topic should be out of bounds for comedy. It's simple. Once you start saying you can't laugh at things, THAT'S when other things become offensive. Obviously, using rape (or murder or suicide or whatever) in comedy is one thing, but when you start using individual situations or victims as a source for the laughs with no other intent than to cause suffering or further pain then that's when things get a bit more complex and a bit of common sense should be used. But for the most part anything should be admissible with comedy. If you don't like what you hear, don't listen to that comedian or show or whatever it is. It really is that simple, life's to short to spend your time being offended by what others find funny when it really is causing no real harm. Nobody has the right to not be offended.
Lol @dickwolves! When I played WOW I found it funny that my hero was only allowed to rescue the set amount of trapped slaves. It is required for game mechanics but makes the joke funny. So obviously NOT laughing at rape, but using it to describe unbelievably horrible treatment of the slaves.
Yeah. This seems to be another example of people overreacting to something fairly tame. I see this all the time in the disciplinary actions of schools who punish students for wearing "offensive" clothing.
Oh, you know, whatever.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
If something offends you then you don't understand anything about how the world works...
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I often wondered where, in my daily life, left-wing authoritarians disappeared too. I can see right wing authoritarianism in Wisconsin, anything to do with the Koch brothers, the motion in the House to strip PBS of all it's funding (provoked by PBS's coverage of Wisconsin, when the rest of the media focuses scant attention and devotes time to Egypt), etc,.

I found the left wing authoritarians, in the form of the rape-culture proponents and self-described opponents.

If you don't have an enemy, invent one it seems.
I don't know. I would tend to think that left-wing authoritarians would be communists. As such, I think it's because the right-wing authoritarians aren't seen as such, even despite their obviously extreme views.

Which I suppose goes to show that the right wing media has demonized the left wing portion of the ideaology so much that the extreme left wing can't even get on the air like assholes like Rush Limbaugh can.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Wow - did we just get a consensus? The hell?

That's the last time I be edgy...

Not. Big Grin
Another man hating Eilo.

FatBitch Wrote:...encourages Penny Arcade readers to stalk and rape me

Really Lady, do you own a mirror? If so look in it. I don't think you have to worry about that.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Culture Ahriman 61 3854 August 21, 2023 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Thumbs Down RE: Rape Apologetics no one 6 668 July 23, 2021 at 9:58 am
Last Post: no one
  Formal and Informal speech lizbizdiz 19 1550 July 3, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7750 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Russian criminal culture purplepurpose 0 218 December 10, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Harvey Weinstein guilty of rape charges, turns himself in dimitrios10 0 268 May 26, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: dimitrios10
  Mass culture is dull Interaktive 15 1563 April 24, 2018 at 10:46 am
Last Post: c172
  East Asians don't integrate into Western culture Alexmahone 38 3437 March 16, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Free speech issue, again.... Foundy 32 3212 December 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Free speech issue... ƵenKlassen 34 4435 December 4, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope