Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bifurcated Trivia: The Answers
Bifurcated Trivia: The Answers
It's been a week, and what little interest there was seems to have dried up like a jellyfish in the Sahara.  So, here are the answers (in bold):

1. What do the following words have in common? diamond, checkers, socks, pumpkin, lump.

They are the names of pets of famous people (awty was close with presidential pets). Diamond - Isaac Newton's dog; Checkers - Richard Nixon's dog; Socks - Bill Clinton's cat; Pumpkin - Kurt Vonnegut Jr's dog; Lump - Picasso's dog.

2.  What do the following actors have in common? Stephen Fry, Danny Trejo, Mark Wahlberg, Nick Nolte, Robert Mitchum.

All served prison sentences. Correctly answered by awty and Bel.

3.  Canada has had 12 of these, the UK 8, New Zealand 5, and the USA 4. What are they?

Heads of government with the first name 'William'.

4.  Where can you find a man, a rabbit, a witch, a toad, and a tree that aren't really there?

On the face of the Moon. awty got it.

5.  What do the following male names have in common?  Christian, George, Bernard, Charles, Leonard.

They are the real first names of performers universally known by the nickname 'Buddy'. In order:

Christian 'Buddy' Ebsen

George 'Buddy' Guy

Bernard 'Buddy' Rich

Charles 'Buddy' Holly (Holley)

Leonard 'Buddy' Hackett (Hacker)

6. Father of a flower girl, he's a common dustman and has been described as 'the most original moralist in England'.

7.  'His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under he left shoulder he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird.  He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham - plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling.'  

8. '...stumping along with great yellow boots on his thick legs, and charging through grass and rushes like a cow going down to drink. He had a blue coat and a long brown beard; his eyes were blue and bright and his face was as red as a ripe apple, but creased into a hundred wrinkles of laughter.'

9.  '...a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long, white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot without a single speck of colour about him anywhere...with high bridge of the thin nose and peculiarly arched nostrils, with lofty domed forehead, and hair growing scantily round the temples but profusely elsewhere.'

10. 'Certainly good looking. That black hair falling over the right eyebrow. But there is something a bit cruel in the mouth, and the eyes were cold.' Also scarred on the right cheek and the back of the right hand.

awty nailed each and every one of these: Alfie Doolittle, Long John Silver, Tom Bombadil, Dracula, and James Bond.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Bifurcated Trivia: The Answers
(April 23, 2021 at 1:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It's been a week, and what little interest there was seems to have dried up like a jellyfish in the Sahara.  So, here are the answers (in bold):

1. What do the following words have in common? diamond, checkers, socks, pumpkin, lump.

They are the names of pets of famous people (awty was close with presidential pets). Diamond - Isaac Newton's dog; Checkers - Richard Nixon's dog; Socks - Bill Clinton's cat; Pumpkin - Kurt Vonnegut Jr's dog; Lump - Picasso's dog.

2.  What do the following actors have in common? Stephen Fry, Danny Trejo, Mark Wahlberg, Nick Nolte, Robert Mitchum.

3.  Canada has had 12 of these, the UK 8, New Zealand 5, and the USA 4. What are they?

4.  Where can you find a man, a rabbit, a witch, a toad, and a tree that aren't really there?

5.  What do the following male names have in common?  Christian, George, Bernard, Charles, Leonard.

They are the real first names of performers universally known by the nickname 'Buddy'. In order:

Christian 'Buddy' Ebsen

George 'Buddy' Guy

Bernard 'Buddy' Rich

6. Father of a flower girl, he's a common dustman and has been described as 'the most original moralist in England'.

7.  'His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under he left shoulder he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird.  He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham - plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling.'  

8. '...stumping along with great yellow boots on his thick legs, and charging through grass and rushes like a cow going down to drink. He had a blue coat and a long brown beard; his eyes were blue and bright and his face was as red as a ripe apple, but creased into a hundred wrinkles of laughter.'

9.  '...a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long, white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot without a single speck of colour about him anywhere...with high bridge of the thin nose and peculiarly arched nostrils, with lofty domed forehead, and hair growing scantily round the temples but profusely elsewhere.'

10. 'Certainly good looking. That black hair falling over the right eyebrow. But there is something a bit cruel in the mouth, and the eyes were cold.' Also scarred on the right cheek and the back of the right hand.

awty nailed each and every one of these: Alfie Doolittle, Long John Silver, Tom Bombadil, Dracula, and James Bond.

Boru
With each of these I learn a new angle to look at things...I'll ace the next one!

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Is that a challenge?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 23, 2021 at 2:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Is that a challenge?

Boru

Maybe -  Angel

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(April 23, 2021 at 1:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It's been a week, and what little interest there was seems to have dried up like a jellyfish in the Sahara.  So, here are the answers (in bold):

Christian 'Buddy' Ebsen

George 'Buddy' Guy

Bernard 'Buddy' Rich

Boru

I demand a recount!

MAFGA!
Dying to live, living to die.
There will be no recounts or do-overs. Your appeal is denied and the decision of the judge is final.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some silly trivia questions arewethereyet 7 610 March 29, 2022 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  No so Obvious Answers Goosebump 0 228 January 2, 2022 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Bifurcated Trivia BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1828 April 16, 2021 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  More Pointless Trivia (Answers) BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1053 December 20, 2020 at 5:42 am
  Lockdown Trivia: The Final Chapter BrianSoddingBoru4 6 852 May 24, 2020 at 5:47 pm
  Lockdown Trivia V BrianSoddingBoru4 92 5266 May 5, 2020 at 5:07 am
  Lockdown Trivia, IV BrianSoddingBoru4 9 974 April 28, 2020 at 5:03 am
  Lockdown Trivia, Stage III BrianSoddingBoru4 17 1106 April 25, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Star Lockdown Trivia BrianSoddingBoru4 22 4340 April 17, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Lockdown Trivia, Phase II BrianSoddingBoru4 17 1099 April 17, 2020 at 6:26 am