Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's an LS cookie?
What's an LS cookie?
I recently installed a Firefox add on called "greater privacy". It claims to remove 'vicious cookies" which would not usually be removed when I do a clean up.

That made me think; I wasn't aware there was any such animal as a 'vicious cookie". Then whenever I closed Firefox,that programme advised it wanted to remove x number of LS cookies,but that I could keep them if I wanted.

I have no idea what that message meant, so I deleted the programme.

I hate feeling ignorant,so would be most grateful if someone could explain
RE: What's an LS cookie?
(March 9, 2011 at 7:27 pm)padraic Wrote: I recently installed a Firefox add on called "greater privacy". It claims to remove 'vicious cookies" which would not usually be removed when I do a clean up.

That made me think; I wasn't aware there was any such animal as a 'vicious cookie". Then whenever I closed Firefox,that programme advised it wanted to remove x number of LS cookies,but that I could keep them if I wanted.

I have no idea what that message meant, so I deleted the programme.

I hate feeling ignorant,so would be most grateful if someone could explain

The only reference I can find to an LS cookie is Little Snitch, but you'd only get those if you visit Little Snitch Talk or have visited in the past.

There is a firewall prog for Apple Macs called Little Snitch. Not sure how that would produce a cookie.

I prefer to manage cookies myself. In FF go to Tools>Options>Privacy>Show Cookies and delete those from sites that you don't regularly visit.

Also, you can elect to accept 3rd party cookies or not and choose to delete them when FF closes. Not a bad option.

Cookies are not usually dangerous. There are Flash-based cookies that can be, but I don't know much about them at this stage.

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
Evercookies: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/20...okies.html
Forget Firefox! I have a better browser here!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(March 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: Forget Firefox! I have a better browser here!

Not even a tiny bit helpful.I asked what I thought was a fairly straight forward question because I wanted to know the answer.

As it turns out,I have actually tried Chrome for a couple of weeks. (and Opera before that) I prefer Firefox .

However, I'll be thrilled to learn why you think Chrome is a superior browser to Firefox..
(March 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: Forget Firefox! I have a better browser here!

No thanks. If I really wanted to give up NoScript, Greasemonkey, Invisiblehand, Sync & FireFTP for some reason, I'd use Iron instead of Chrome. By default, Iron doesn't send your browsing habits back to Google or to anyone else.

(March 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Evercookies: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/20...okies.html

Another good reason to use Firefox, Anonymizer Nevercookie.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(March 10, 2011 at 9:01 am)Jaysyn Wrote: No thanks. If I really wanted to give up NoScript, Greasemonkey, Invisiblehand, Sync & FireFTP for some reason, I'd use Iron instead of Chrome. By default, Iron doesn't send your browsing habits back to Google or to anyone else.

Another good reason to use Firefox, Anonymizer Nevercookie.

Chromium has built in Script/Cookie/Sync tools to replace Noscript, Firefox Sync and Anonymizer Nevercookie. Greasemonkey has a Chromium version, Greasemetal.

I don't know about an FTP extension or why you would want one integrated into the browser, I prefer to have separate applications wherever possible (I hate all-in-one tools like Nero with a passion), least of all to cut down on bloat so you don't end up with a significantly slower browser like Firefox, I use Filezilla in *nix and Windows and that does everything I want or need.

No idea about Invisible Hand, I've heard of something that sounded similar for Chromium but I do bugger all online shopping and they probably don't work for New Zealand anyway.

I didn't know about Chrome sending user data, that sorta sucks (but typical of Google), luckily it doesn't effect Chromium which is my primary browser on KDE, I'll be installing it on my windows machine now too.
(March 10, 2011 at 9:30 am)theVOID Wrote: I didn't know about Chrome sending user data, that sorta sucks (but typical of Google), luckily it doesn't effect Chromium which is my primary browser on KDE, I'll be installing it on my windows machine now too.

That's cool, I forgot about Chromium. Most folks can't be bothered with compiling their own web browser though & the executable installer crashed when I tried to run it. At least the zip archive worked. Really not much difference between this & Iron though, is there?

Can't seem to find the JavaScript whitelisting (NoScript) on the Chromium GUI either. Care to point me in that direction, please?

EDIT: I take the above back, the installer crashed while it was trying to import my Firefox settings (without asking) while I had Firefox open. It never asked for an install path, or displayed any GUI, so I thought it just died right out of the box.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
I use Firefox mainly because it has more extension options, especially with regard to security / hacking. I switched to Chrome for about a year whilst it was beating the crap out of Firefox 3.5, but now that Firefox 4 is in beta (and stable) I'm back with that.

I have no idea, I've never heard of Iron before now.

I just noticed a lot of the script tools have disappeared with the new options menu... the basic one is at chrome://settings/content, but it's different to the old one, you can only specify it by site and not by individual scripts.... It looks like they've removed the ability to block scripts from the Javascript console in developer tools too... Lame.

You can always use NotScript instead: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/det...dajjpkkcfn
(March 10, 2011 at 9:49 am)Jaysyn Wrote:
(March 10, 2011 at 9:30 am)theVOID Wrote: I didn't know about Chrome sending user data, that sorta sucks (but typical of Google), luckily it doesn't effect Chromium which is my primary browser on KDE, I'll be installing it on my windows machine now too.

That's cool, I forgot about Chromium. Most folks can't be bothered with compiling their own web browser though & the executable installer crashed when I tried to run it. At least the zip archive worked. Really not much difference between this & Iron though, is there?

Can't seem to find the JavaScript whitelisting (NoScript) on the Chromium GUI either. Care to point me in that direction, please?

EDIT: I take the above back, the installer crashed while it was trying to import my Firefox settings (without asking) while I had Firefox open. It never asked for an install path, or displayed any GUI, so I thought it just died right out of the box.

It won't ask for an install path, it's portable, it should just launch like Chrome.

The only problems I've had with Chromium was it's refusal to make it's self the default browser.