Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage Audio Equipment
Vintage Audio Equipment
Any vintage audio equipment fans around here? I just acquired a Pioneer RT-909 10" reel to reel and a Nakamichi DR-1 cassette deck from work after a project we used them for was completed. Now I'm in the market for an amplifier with a pair of tape inputs/outputs. I'd like to find a decent recapped Marantz, but a Pioneer would work.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Vintage Audio Equipment
Not really an audiophile, but I’ve got - or rather, the wife has - a 1940s vintage Crosley radio around here somewhere. Pretty sure it works.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 10, 2021 at 2:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not really an audiophile, but I’ve got - or rather, the wife has - a 1940s vintage Crosley radio around here somewhere. Pretty sure it works.

Boru

Crosley is still making radios, record players, juke boxes, and rotary phones.
(May 10, 2021 at 2:58 pm)popeyespappy Wrote:
(May 10, 2021 at 2:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not really an audiophile, but I’ve got - or rather, the wife has - a 1940s vintage Crosley radio around here somewhere. Pretty sure it works.

Boru

Crosley is still making radios, record players, juke boxes, and rotary phones.

So I gather, but the wife got this one from her gran, who got it just after WWII.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm not into vintage gear, but it would be fun to try out the Nak DR1. I used to love a friend's Nakamichi Dragon.

Marantz had some great stuff.

I'm trying to set up my "final system" right now, but it will take a while. It seems it is easy to spend upwards of $100,000 . Compared to that, some vintage stuff has an appeal.
(May 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: I'm not into vintage gear, but it would be fun to try out the Nak DR1.  I used to love a friend's Nakamichi Dragon.

Marantz had some great stuff.

I'm trying to set up my "final system" right now, but it will take a while.  It seems it is easy to spend upwards of $100,000 .  Compared to that, some vintage stuff has an appeal.

I'm not nearly as excited about the DR1 as I am the RT-909. A) It sounds a lot better. No tape hiss. B) 5.5 hours of playback per side from a 2500 inch tape.

And yea. I'm hoping to find a recapped Marantz for a reasonable price. If not I'll probably be looking for a preamp and getting one of these. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27222

Edit: Sorry. My math is fucked. Only about an hour per side with a 2500" tape.
I was just looking up the price of reel-to-reel tapes. Fairly expensive.

I actually like digital. At the high-end, it sounds good. I find that good mastering is more important than format. The best CDs sound very good, but high-res can be better.

There is a "digital sound" that can be very bad. Fortunately, the best gear seems to remove the problem.
(May 10, 2021 at 6:08 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: I was just looking up the price of reel-to-reel tapes.  Fairly expensive.

I actually like digital.  At the high-end, it sounds good.  I find that good mastering is more important than format.  The best CDs sound very good, but high-res can be better.

There is a "digital sound" that can be very bad.  Fortunately, the best gear seems to remove the problem.

Once upon a time I ripped 700 plus CD's as 320 Kbps MP3's. Not all of them were great recordings to begin with, but I still wish I had ripped them as FLAC files as the CD's were all stolen, but I still have the MP3's.

A good 2500" blank tape runs about $85. Fortunately, the deck came with a couple and I think I only want 4 or 5. Blues rock, Classic rock, hard rock, and soft rock. Maybe one for a mix.

Got any speaker recommendations? I am looking at Wharfedale Linton Heritage, Klipsch Heresy IV, and JBL L-100 Classics.
You don' t NEED really old amplifiers - as long as they have tube finals.....

Tubes are superior in most respects EXCEPT electrical efficiency...
(May 10, 2021 at 6:46 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: You don' t NEED really old amplifiers - as long as they have tube finals.....

Tubes are superior in most respects EXCEPT electrical efficiency...

Solid state vs valve amplifiers is going to run to personnel preference every time. Most of us aren't going to be able to tell the difference between an $11,000 Macintosh MC 1502 tub amp and a $5,000 Macintosh MC 152 solid state amp. You might like one better than the other though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Audio geeks needed paulpablo 0 326 December 4, 2016 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: paulpablo