Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Horror Movies Scare You?
Do Horror Movies Scare You?
I've watched tons of horror movies and it seems that none of them are able to scare me. It's true that I can recognize when something may be scary to others and I sometimes feel that something is quite creepy but nothing ever translate to actual fear. Sure, I can say "Wow, that's scary" as in, it is scary but not scaring me (if that makes any sense)

I watched a lot of horror movies when I was a child, mostly because my dad always watched them. The ones that I remember scaring me the most were The Thing, Childs Play, Candy Man and I was sort of a afraid of Willy Wonka (Horrible things happen to those kids and it's scary if you think about it come on. Drowning in chocolate, turning into a blueberry? :X) Anyway, I guess I sort of grew out of it and am immune to horror movie's well, horror.

Though, don't get me wrong. I still Love horror movies. I like to study the psychology of them. Japanese movies are very good in that they're not always about blood and gore but a mental build up that is truly meant to frighten the viewer. (though there are also a lot of the gore variety)

So my question is, are you afraid of horror movies? Do you like them and do you like to be scared of them?

You can also discuss your favorite movies but that's not really the point of this thread.
RE: Do Horror Movies Scare You?
(March 10, 2011 at 9:10 am)8BitAtheist Wrote: So my question is, are you afraid of horror movies? Do you like them and do you like to be scared of them?

You can also discuss your favorite movies but that's not really the point of this thread.

Of the movie? No. Of the things in the movie? Unfortunately: quite.

I like a good movie, and sometimes a good movie is scary. I don't like being scared though, especially when I know that there is nothing to be scare of. In example, I suffer an acute terror of the darkness, or rather of what might be hidden within it. After watching something scary, such as a striga entering through (FUCK! NOOO DAMMIT! WHY THE HELL DID I EVEN CONTINUE WITH THIS EXAMPLE?!.... i guess it's too late now... dammit...) a window: I tend to populate the darkness with the possibility of its being there. Dammit, i even moved my bed away from the window in my room in large part because of the damn striga, and I don't deny the leeryness I feel towards the window i could reach over with my left hand and touch. As much as I enjoyed supernatural, I completely regret having watched it now.

I *really* don't like feeling terrified. Another person somehow has a calming affect upon me... alas: said other people are not around when I want them Undecided
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Hardly, aside from the brute force "shock horror" that simply makes you flinch until you come to expect it.

That's why I like ultra-cheesy or ultra-violent horror movies.
Not really afraid, because it is just a movie. I've been startled, occasionally horrified, but my favorite is suspense. I love Hitchcock movies. It's kinda like sex, if there's sufficient build up to the climax, you get a big shot of endorphins. The problem with the 'slasher' films is they don't bother to develop the characters, if you don't relate to them, you don't really give a damn what happens to them. I tried my hand at making a 'scary' movie, when I studied film at NYU, and I can tell you it's not easy. It's a fine line between scary and ridiculous. Most horror films make me laugh, but I enjoy a well crafted one.
Being afraid is just a natural human response. The chief problem with horror movies is that they're often trying too hard to frighten you, its trying to trigger that basic survival mechanism, another thing is the rest of the time its simply gratuitous violence and gore which isn't proper horror, it merely shows the scriptwriter's blood lust is beyond disturbing and that they've run out of ideas. Most rational people who don't allow themselves to be so immersed or engrossed in the flick that they role play the characters will not experience any sensation of fear and thus find no source of entertainment value in it.
They make me laugh. I try to figure out what kind of effects they use. I like the horror flicks of the 80's back when everything was done in real time as opposed to todays computer generated stuff. I bet those horror special effects teams had so much fun making those movies.
I don't like horror in general. I do love thrillers. Can't say that horror movies scare me, but lately the genre is more blood and gore orientated than it is interested in telling a good story, which really turned me off. I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula for instance, but Saw 1 to 10000000 really doesn't do anything for me.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Most movies are so stylized and predictable that I can't be bothered with them. I like bad movies. I was a big MST 3000 fan. One of my favorites is King Kong v Godzilla. Funny as all hell.
(March 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Most movies are so stylized and predictable that I can't be bothered with them. I like bad movies. I was a big MST 3000 fan. One of my favorites is King Kong v Godzilla. Funny as all hell.

I am too, I'm a huge Toho movies fan. And I still have a lot of MST3K episodes on harddrive. I'm a sucker for Godzilla movies, of which King Kong vs Godzilla is one of my favorites as well. But I don't consider the Toho monster movies as horror though.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Did you ever see the non-Raymond Burr version of the original Godzilla? Quite an improvement. I didn't even mind the sub-titles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Realm of Horror Foxaèr 26 1694 November 10, 2023 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Movies you'd like to see remade Fake Messiah 83 6396 November 8, 2023 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Great Missed Opportunities in Movies. Gawdzilla Sama 5 685 October 25, 2023 at 4:31 pm
  Worst scenes in movies Fake Messiah 30 2646 October 19, 2023 at 11:12 pm
  Favorite horror movie MR. Macabre 666 13 1069 June 14, 2023 at 6:54 am
  Horror TV series MR. Macabre 666 9 680 May 27, 2023 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Horror fiction MR. Macabre 666 16 1005 May 25, 2023 at 4:09 pm
  Movies are not for intellectuals Interaktive 95 11707 December 30, 2022 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christian movies you actually like T.J. 27 1999 December 10, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The original Carrie horror movie. Brian37 30 1936 April 10, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye