Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 6:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive-thru ashes!
Drive-thru ashes!
A local church in my area had a priest stand by the side of the road rubbing ashes on the heads of people too busy to attend church yesterday.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...s-than-one

What's next? A drive-thru funeral?

I always get a kick out of Ass Wednesday. Whenever I see a twit with ashes on their forehead I always say, "You have some dirt on your forehead. You might wanna wash that off."

Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
RE: Drive-thru ashes!
Dare I ask where the ashes are actually supplied from?
The Lybian rebels.
^You're just too bad for these forums. XD

It's ludicrous when Christians quote God's curse from Genesis "Dust you are and to dust you shall return" when they also believe people have immortal souls.

So which one is it? Are we by God's design mortal or immortal? It seems they can't decide which beliefs are better to advertise.
(March 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Dare I ask where the ashes are actually supplied from?

Supposedly, they burn the palm fronds left over after Easter service and use the ashes for the following Ass Wednesday. But who knows for sure? Could be from cigarettes smoked by the priests after boffing altar boys.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Quote:I always get a kick out of Ass Wednesday.

Now THAT sounds like a really good idea.
On ash wednesday I get a kick out of going up to people with that ash mark and in all seriousness say;

"Excuse me sir/ma'am. I don't know if you are aware you have some dirt on your face."

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(March 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm)Thor Wrote: A local church in my area had a priest stand by the side of the road rubbing ashes on the heads of people too busy to attend church yesterday.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...s-than-one

What's next? A drive-thru funeral?

I always get a kick out of Ass Wednesday. Whenever I see a twit with ashes on their forehead I always say, "You have some dirt on your forehead. You might wanna wash that off."

I have to admit that I've never heard of this strange ritual! To think that Christians used to convert "the savages" away from their "strange" rituals!

The things people do in the name of religion. ROFLOL

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
Quote:I have to admit that I've never heard of this strange ritual! To think that Christians used to convert "the savages" away from their "strange" rituals!

Ash Wednesday; marks the beginning of Lent.

Quote:Ash Wednesday, in the calendar of Western Christianity, is the first day of Lent and occurs 46 days before Easter. It is a moveable fast, falling on a different date each year because it is dependent on the date of Easter. It can occur as early as February 4 or as late as March 10.

According to the Canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, Jesus spent forty days fasting in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, during which he endured temptation by Satan.[1][2] Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of this forty day liturgical period of prayer and fasting.

Ash Wednesday derives its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of adherents as a sign of mourning and repentance to God. The ashes used are typically gathered after the palms from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned.[3]

This practice is common in much of Christendom, being celebrated by Catholics, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, and Anglicans.[4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday
(March 10, 2011 at 5:58 pm)ozgoat Wrote: I have to admit that I've never heard of this strange ritual! To think that Christians used to convert "the savages" away from their "strange" rituals!

The things people do in the name of religion. ROFLOL

Well, it's no sillier than sprinkling "holy water", dumping water on a baby's head, spreading oil on someone's forehead, confessing your "sins" in a booth, or eating a wafer and calling it "the body of Christ".

Christianity is full of moronic rituals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will Christianity Cease Development or Drive Itself Into Truth? Walking Void 37 13002 June 8, 2013 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Ryantology