Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4X games.
4X games.
These are a secret passion of mine. I enjoy some oldies like Alpha Centauri. Some classics, like the Civ series typically from III to V. And some newer ones like Sins of a Solar Empire and the Sword of the Stars anthalogy. I just like the idea of building an empire and ruthlessly crushing your foes until there is nothing left to conquer. Please share some of your favourites and tell us a little bit about them.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
RE: 4X games.
I'm afraid I'm not old enough to have experienced such awesome 4X graphics!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
MoO. Best game I have ever played.

MoO2 is a fine game as well, but much less my cup of tea.

Civ's incessant dice roll combat ruins for me what would otherwise be a decent game.

You can buy MoO and MoO2 together for six dollars a Gog. On my iPhone, so I can't easily just link it to you... But google 'Gog Master of Orion' and you should find it. Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
4x games.

It's difficult for me to remember the four x.

eXplore, eXpand, eXterminate, ...

Oh well.

I'm currently on a Master of Orion 3 kick, but I like Space Empires V (I would if between turn processing didn't take so long.) and X3 Reunion.

I guess I'll talk about Master of Orion 3 for a minute.

In Master of Orion 3 you control a stellar empire whose citizens are one of many possible races. You start on your home planet in a solar system. You can always destroy all other empires to win the game. You can also set options to win either by becoming the head of the stellar council (Orion Senate) or you can collect five mysterious technologies by sending out search parties. An unofficial patch at http://bhruic.dyndns.org/patcher/ can enable an allied victory - meaning that a group of allies will win when all of their enemies have been destroyed. Great if you play a "peaceful" race.

Gameplay itself is somewhere between Risk and Space Empires V. While there are solar systems, they are abstract locations. You can't actually explore individual systems to find locations.

P.S. I'd also be generous and include EVE Online in my picks. While not strictly a 4x game, when you get involved with group dynamics and location and resource control it can seem a lot like a 4x game, except you play as one of the units.
Master of Magic is my favorite 4x game. It's ancient (1994!), it's single-player only, it's buggy, it's unbalanced, & the AI is unstable to say the least, but there is just something about the synergy of the magic system, race variations & combat engine that keeps sucking me back into it after 17 years. Even after all this time there are serious bug-fixing & modding efforts underway for this classic game.

It should be mentioned that Master of Orion & Master of Orion 2 were both made by Simtex, the creators of Master of Magic & are excellent games in their own right.

Alien Crossfire & Alpha Centauri are a close third, followed by Civ IV.

(March 10, 2011 at 9:51 pm)lrh9 Wrote: X3 Reunion.

That game is more like Grand Theft Auto in space. Big Grin

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(March 10, 2011 at 9:39 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: MoO. Best game I have ever played.

MoO2 is a fine game as well, but much less my cup of tea.

Civ's incessant dice roll combat ruins for me what would otherwise be a decent game.

You can buy MoO and MoO2 together for six dollars a Gog. On my iPhone, so I can't easily just link it to you... But google 'Gog Master of Orion' and you should find it. Smile

I'm pretty sure Civ doesn't use dice roll combat mechanics any more.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_orion_1_2 <-- linky is good.

Haven't played Civ 5, so i don't know if it still uses dice rolls to decide its combat now.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upcoming games you want to play Foxaèr 13 2085 October 6, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  What are your top 5 video games of all time? T0 Th3 M4X 80 8604 May 22, 2022 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: emjay
  I sucked at video games. Brian37 16 3028 July 18, 2021 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The issue with Match-3 games Foxaèr 4 452 August 15, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stream Switch games without a capture card. Mechaghostman2 0 379 November 24, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Any sci-fi open world games? Mechaghostman2 9 1905 September 27, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Games still to be released in 2018 Foxaèr 9 1162 June 2, 2018 at 12:32 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Of new homes and video games. Brian37 7 1158 May 25, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  No evidence to support link between violent video games and behavior Gawdzilla Sama 12 1831 January 21, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Anybody here have any favorite Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games? ƵenKlassen 7 1222 November 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Cecelia