Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God and Distaster
God and Distaster
http://richarddawkins.net/articles/60221...d-disaster

Any thoughts from the religious folk here? Other than the usual, God moves in mysterious ways. The devil did it. Blah blah blah.
RE: God and Distaster
It's exactly what we expect in a worldview where he doesn't exist.
Where do you get the idea that God would want to stop such things happening? There's your problem.
(March 13, 2011 at 10:04 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Where do you get the idea that God would want to stop such things happening? There's your problem.

So he doesn't love us?
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(March 13, 2011 at 10:04 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Where do you get the idea that God would want to stop such things happening? There's your problem.

An omnibenevolent God necessarily would, Your slave master is a different story.
(March 13, 2011 at 10:07 am)theVOID Wrote:

An omnibenevolent God necessarily would, Your slave master is a different story.

Exactly. I think fr0d0 forgot that he's a Christian. Big Grin
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(March 13, 2011 at 10:07 am)theVOID Wrote: An omnibenevolent God necessarily would
That is obviously wrong.
I think Dawkins nailed it here....

Quote:It would be very unkind to think that the churchgoers were going to give thanks that they personally escaped;

That's precisely what the fuckers do....complete with "miracle stories" of how their invisible friend saved them but killed the person next to them.

Fortunately, most Japanese aren't xtians so they probably aren't as big a bunch of dickheads.
I haven't been a "religious folk" for a long time, but as I understood it, Heaven was the place God created for us all to live in eternal bliss. So God would not consider it a tragedy to bring thousands of us up there. As for the suffering of the survivors, aren't we supposed to be tried and tested down here? It wouldn't be much of a test if it wasn't sufficiently traumatic to cause people to question their faith. I think it's a load of hogwash now, but it made sense to me when I was a kid.
Perhaps god answered the prayers of the Tokyo surfers to "just get that one gnarly wave!"
(March 13, 2011 at 11:53 am)corndog36 Wrote: I haven't been a "religious folk" for a long time, but as I understood it, Heaven was the place God created for us all to live in eternal bliss. So God would not consider it a tragedy to bring thousands of us up there. As for the suffering of the survivors, aren't we supposed to be tried and tested down here? It wouldn't be much of a test if it wasn't sufficiently traumatic to cause people to question their faith. I think it's a load of hogwash now, but it made sense to me when I was a kid.

A god who needs to test people is NOT all knowing.

an all knowing god needs not test people..because he knows what the outcome will be regardless.

(March 13, 2011 at 10:06 am)HeyItsZeus Wrote:

So he doesn't love us?

He does love us..he loves to watch us scatter when he pulls his magnifying glass out so he can fry us with the sun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19411 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie