Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus and Mary, In Catholicism and Islam
Jesus and Mary, In Catholicism and Islam
Jesus and Mary (Jesus' mom) play a prominent role in both Catholic and Islamic theology. Mary is mentioned 34 times in the Koran. Both religions revere Jesus as a miracle worker, and Mary as a holy woman. Catholics, in particular, claim Mary as the Mother of God, a distinction I was taught of back in Catholic school, but have since rejected. I do not believe God has parents. In my opinion, the Islamic conception of Mary seems closer to the truth.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: Jesus and Mary, In Catholicism and Islam
(August 24, 2021 at 5:28 am)Ahriman Wrote: Jesus and Mary (Jesus' mom) play a prominent role in both Catholic and Islamic theology. Mary is mentioned 34 times in the Koran. Both religions revere Jesus as a miracle worker, and Mary as a holy woman. Catholics, in particular, claim Mary as the Mother of God, a distinction I was taught of back in Catholic school, but have since rejected. I do not believe God has parents. In my opinion, the Islamic conception of Mary seems closer to the truth.

If Jesus didn't have a mother... Where'd he gestate? In a box?

The differance between the beliefs of old Moe and the people he cribbed from is that Moe had to 'Down play' the claims of the Christian's he was borrowing his ideas from.

Can't have the all powerful prophet playing a back seat to an incarnated diety now, can we?

Still, have fun wokring out which magic book is the better of the... myriad magic books.

Coffee

Not at work.
(August 24, 2021 at 5:28 am)Ahriman Wrote: I do not believe God has parents. In my opinion, the Islamic conception of Mary seems closer to the truth.

And why do you think the pope doesn't see Jesus and Mary the way you do?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(August 24, 2021 at 5:39 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 5:28 am)Ahriman Wrote: I do not believe God has parents. In my opinion, the Islamic conception of Mary seems closer to the truth.

And why do you think the pope doesn't see Jesus and Mary the way you do?
I wouldn't know, I've never asked him.

(August 24, 2021 at 5:37 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 5:28 am)Ahriman Wrote: Jesus and Mary (Jesus' mom) play a prominent role in both Catholic and Islamic theology. Mary is mentioned 34 times in the Koran. Both religions revere Jesus as a miracle worker, and Mary as a holy woman. Catholics, in particular, claim Mary as the Mother of God, a distinction I was taught of back in Catholic school, but have since rejected. I do not believe God has parents. In my opinion, the Islamic conception of Mary seems closer to the truth.

If Jesus didn't have a mother... Where'd he gestate? In a box?

The differance between the beliefs of old Moe and the people he cribbed from is that Moe had to 'Down play' the claims of the Christian's he was borrowing his ideas from.

Can't have the all powerful prophet playing a back seat to an incarnated diety now, can we?

Still, have fun wokring out which magic book is the better of the... myriad magic books.

Coffee

Not at work.
Not even sure what you're trying to say.

So, you don’t believe that Jesus is God?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 24, 2021 at 5:42 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 5:37 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: If Jesus didn't have a mother... Where'd he gestate? In a box?

Coffee

Not at work.
Not even sure what you're trying to say.

Sorry. Distracted at my end.

It comes across as if you're saying Jesus just 'Popped' into existance since Mary's seems "Not that important" in your comment. Which, if Jesus is an incarnated diety, would seem rather... strange.

Then making the comment that old Moe has to down play the magic heritage of Jesus to make himself the bigger prophet. Sicne Moe only being a prophet after an incarnated diety would seem rather... strange/off/silly.

Cheers.

Not at work.
(August 24, 2021 at 5:42 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 5:39 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: And why do you think the pope doesn't see Jesus and Mary the way you do?
I wouldn't know, I've never asked him.

And the rest of the clergy? You said you were with them a lot, but let me guess, you didn't ask them either?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(August 24, 2021 at 5:48 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

So, you don’t believe that Jesus is God?

Boru
I believe Jesus is a messenger of God.

(August 24, 2021 at 5:50 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 5:42 am)Ahriman Wrote: I wouldn't know, I've never asked him.

And the rest of the clergy? You said you were with them a lot, but let me guess, you didn't ask them either?
I didn't want to risk getting kicked out of school for asking too many questions.
(August 24, 2021 at 5:52 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 5:48 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: So, you don’t believe that Jesus is God?

Boru
I believe Jesus is a messenger of God.

I can see why you left the Church. Denial of Jesus’ divinity would have got you excommunicated anyway.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 24, 2021 at 5:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 5:52 am)Ahriman Wrote: I believe Jesus is a messenger of God.

I can see why you left the Church. Denial of Jesus’ divinity would have got you excommunicated anyway.

Boru
Right, which is why I never brought it up with anybody, not even my friends.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Assumption of Mary DevoutAgnostic 18 1818 August 16, 2021 at 1:19 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Mary's Ten Year Pregnancy YahwehIsTheWay 131 14968 December 27, 2018 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens against Catholicism Edwardo Piet 2 1139 May 14, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A new flavor of Catholicism? Zenith 0 688 March 7, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  The death of Catholicism. Jehanne 39 8343 January 18, 2016 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Catholicism is crazy too watchamadoodle 31 5398 February 15, 2015 at 6:34 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Catholicism ducketto 197 32598 December 1, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  And now for a Pet the Dog moment for Catholicism.... Rev. Rye 11 5138 April 16, 2010 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: TheMultiverseTheory
  Jesus is trying to tell me something; what is it Jesus? TruthWorthy 32 13205 February 5, 2010 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Dotard
  Catholicism & Self-Hatred! Kyuuketsuki 0 1448 August 11, 2009 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki