Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and the meaning of life - what drives you?
Atheism and the meaning of life - what drives you?
I wondered what drives fellow atheist considering the meaning of life is extremely blurry when we don't consider there to be an afterlife. How do you approach anything? Every label, tag, mindset is in fact subjective too and can vary from one second to the next - what you find fun might change very fast. I am aware some of you have children and families, I suppose that will effect that massively. But in my personal situation I have never been bothered about pleasing anyone but myself, as a result I am yet to start a family - though it will be a consideration for me up until I'm about 50 if I find the right partner to start a family with. 

Suppose the real question is what really gives meaning to life apart from reproducing ? Any ideas? I don't consider things like fame and being remembered particularly relevant, once dead you're dead and seeking the acclaim of others whilst alive you are wasting time you could have spent focusing on yourself in my opinion.

I had a thought - to consider life has no meaning is double edged . If it means nothing you are lucky you've even been born - in which case life means everything (including each second). Slightly complicated and believe this is in the right section. I'm sure this has been discussed before (hopefully not recently), just wondered thoughts for the present moment in time.
RE: Atheism and the meaning of life - what drives you?
What drives me?

Coffee. Coffee
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 9, 2021 at 10:15 am)TheEnd8888 Wrote: I had a thought - to consider life has no meaning is double edged . If it means nothing you are lucky you've even been born - in which case life means everything (including each second). Slightly complicated and believe this is in the right section. I'm sure this has been discussed before (hopefully not recently), just wondered thoughts for the present moment in time.

I think you have the right idea.  There is no "ultimate" purpose in life.  Our DNA has a purpose - to reproduce, but what is the point in reproducing if there is no meaning in life at all?

The answer is that we find our own meaning, and it has to be within life, not an afterlife.  My belief is that the meaning can be found in any moment.
(September 9, 2021 at 10:15 am)TheEnd8888 Wrote: I wondered what drives fellow atheist considering the meaning of life is extremely blurry when we don't consider there to be an afterlife. How do you approach anything? Every label, tag, mindset is in fact subjective too and can vary from one second to the next - what you find fun might change very fast. I am aware some of you have children and families, I suppose that will effect that massively. But in my personal situation I have never been bothered about pleasing anyone but myself, as a result I am yet to start a family - though it will be a consideration for me up until I'm about 50 if I find the right partner to start a family with. 

Suppose the real question is what really gives meaning to life apart from reproducing ? Any ideas? I don't consider things like fame and being remembered particularly relevant, once dead you're dead and seeking the acclaim of others whilst alive you are wasting time you could have spent focusing on yourself in my opinion.

I had a thought - to consider life has no meaning is double edged . If it means nothing you are lucky you've even been born - in which case life means everything (including each second). Slightly complicated and believe this is in the right section. I'm sure this has been discussed before (hopefully not recently), just wondered thoughts for the present moment in time.

This is a non-problem. ‘Life’ has no meaning. ‘Lives’ do.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I believe that meaning can only exist in the present moment, and can best be appreciated through mindfulness and immersion in the here-and-now. I'm driven primarily by experiences, particularly art, nature, and the acquisition of knowledge.
All I wanna do is have some fun. . .
How many times....

Life is what you make it. Whatever makes getting up and moving around interesting. There's absolutely no limit. What drives one person sounds silly to the next. I personally love challenges, mental, physical, emotional, you name it. I've always endeavored to try new things that I know nothing about. Some I keep doing while others I give up. I'm amazed that so many religious people find meaning in prayer and devotion to Bible study. To me that's the most boring thing in the world.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
What gives me meaning in life? Trying not to masturbate so that Saint Peter lets me through the gates of Heaven. Oh, wait! That's the Christian meaning in life.

What gives me as an atheist meaning in life is:

[Image: reasons.png]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Interestingly enough, there's a lot of overlap with theists.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3107 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2752 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3705 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1391 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Serious] What gives your life meaning? EgoDeath 30 3048 October 28, 2019 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2098 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3109 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Atheism and purpose in life. Mystic 34 20644 April 23, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2895 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 9944 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet