Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:01 pm

Poll: Would you support Geoengineerng?
This poll is closed.
No
53.85%
7 53.85%
Yes
30.77%
4 30.77%
Yes, but it must be strictly regulated.
15.38%
2 15.38%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geoengineering ...
Geoengineering ...
So, I'm not sure how many of us will be aware of the varied and creative proposals being suggested by various groups regarding "Geoengineering".

In short, Geoengineering is the intentional, large scale manipulation of the climate system with the overall aim of balancing or counteracting global warming.

Obviously, such intervention is likely to be take unilaterally but will of course be multilateral in scale.

Following from the climate change thread I was wondering what peoples opinions of it might be?

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
RE: Geoengineering ...
Not unless we're all going to die otherwise, the risks are too great.
What does this Geoengineering consist of exactly?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Unless the corporate criminals running the oil companies can make a killing off of it, it will never happen.
One idea is chucking a shitload of sulfur into the upper atmosphere to block radiation from the sun and cool the planet...
Geoengineering is happening now, just not necessarily purposefully. Anthropogenic GHG induced climate change is unwitting geoengineering, as is large scale water diversion projects like the Aral sea. Urbanization by paving over more reflective land with more absorbant asphalts and rooftops is also geoengineering.

I think in the long run intentional large scale thorough geoengineering Geoengineering of Mars and possibly Venus is unavoidable if humanity is to survive. And pretty large scale geoengineering of earth will also likely be highly desirable and extend far beyond merely countering or counterbalancing some modest undesired climate trends of either natural or anthropogenic origin. The Amongst the possible geoengineering solutions for earth are:

1. Seeding the ocean with large but practical quantities of iron oxide to spur plankton growth and CO2 absorption

2. Cloud seeding to increase reflectivity

3. Painting rooftops white

4. Large scale intentional transfers of plant life to non-native habitats

Some more long term projects might involve:

1. Earthquake fault lubrication

2. Orbital thin film reflectors
How the hell are we supposed to deliberately manipulate the Earth's climate?

Its no different than terraforming in that its way beyond humanity's technological capabilities.
(March 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm)Chuck Wrote: Geoengineering is happening now, just not necessarily purposefully. Anthropogenic GHG induced climate change is unwitting geoengineering, as is large scale water diversion projects like the Aral sea. Urbanization by paving over more reflective land with more absorbant asphalts and rooftops is also geoengineering.

It is only considered Geoengineering if the intent is to change the climate, much the same as material engineering requires intent to create a product, if I throw plastic and wool into a fire and they melt together I'm not a material engineer.

(March 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: How the hell are we supposed to deliberately manipulate the Earth's climate?

Its no different than terraforming in that its way beyond humanity's technological capabilities.

We could put tons of sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere, that is well within our capabilities and would impact the atmosphere. The limitation is not in performing the action but knowing the long term consequences.
(March 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: How the hell are we supposed to deliberately manipulate the Earth's climate?

We manipulate the earth's climate by altering the visible light reflection properties of the surface and the infra-red absorption properties of the atmosphere.
(March 16, 2011 at 5:00 pm)theVOID Wrote: It is only considered Geoengineering if the intent is to change the climate, much the same as material engineering requires intent to create a product, if I throw plastic and wool into a fire and they melt together I'm not a material engineer.

No, but I suspect civilizations with potential take inadvertant consequence as inspiration for engineering, civilization moribund looks at inadvertant consequences with horror and avoids anything that could ever be remotely connected to it.

I agree but that doesn't make the inspiration the engineering.