Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
christians give up trying to know.
christians give up trying to know.
Every time I get into a religious debate with a christian it always ends up going to the same place. Its the place where they give up trying to find fact and settle for opinion, a.k.a "faith" instead. Usually its the point when I ask them about the horrible things that happen to innocent human beings on a daily basis. Their answer is always "Its god's will". I translate that as "I don't know and I don't care."
So someone could have their entire family die randomly to freak accidents and that person is supposed to chalk that up to "god's will" and just move on? Common sense would suggest that now is the time you stop going to church and praying to a god that took so much from you. So you lose your career job only months from retirement and are forced to work at a convenience store at age 60 and that is part ot god's plan? And we can't leave out the situation in Japan. What did they do? How come we have things like cancer and babies born with mutations and people like Dr. Phil? For as much support this so-called "god" is getting, that supposed entity is sure not doing a very good job of taking care of its fans.
Music 
RE: christians give up trying to know.
(March 19, 2011 at 6:22 am)Itslikebeingshiton Wrote: Every time I get into a religious debate with a christian it always ends up going to the same place. Its the place where they give up trying to find fact and settle for opinion, a.k.a "faith" instead. Usually its the point when I ask them about the horrible things that happen to innocent human beings on a daily basis. Their answer is always "Its god's will". I translate that as "I don't know and I don't care."

*witty neutral response because I'm too tired for anything particularly clever*

Quote:So someone could have their entire family die randomly to freak accidents and that person is supposed to chalk that up to "god's will" and just move on? Common sense would suggest that now is the time you stop going to church and praying to a god that took so much from you. So you lose your career job only months from retirement and are forced to work at a convenience store at age 60 and that is part ot god's plan? And we can't leave out the situation in Japan. What did they do? How come we have things like cancer and babies born with mutations and people like Dr. Phil? For as much support this so-called "god" is getting, that supposed entity is sure not doing a very good job of taking care of its fans.

It wouldn't be randomly if it was God's will. I don't imagine they would 'just' move on, most people would grieve to that. Evidently, you need to read Job... which is all about this.

Age 60 isn't as huge as it used to be. Hooray for medicine... or to hell with it, whichever ^_^ I'll hopefully be dead by the time I'd be sixty, so it really doesn't matter to me Tongue

What situation is there in Japan this time? Weren't they having problems of some sort or other just last decade? How silly of them! ^_^ I'll tell you the most evil thing about the Japanese: they speak Japanese! >_< Few languages in this world are so awful. English is awful too. It claims to have 20 some letters... and then it makes 60 some sounds with them @_@ They should get hit with an earthquake, or six! Angry

You will either live long enough to get cancer or die before you get it. Cancer is inevitable if you do not die. Best way to avoid cancer? Die! ^_^

Babies born with mutations are how we evolve, silly! ^_^ Sometimes we devolve, but that's okay, because how could I exist without devolving after my time warp into the past? ^_^

Dr. Phil is my hero! ^_^ Or was that just the Doctor? I don't even know! XD

Would you prefer to be enslaved by the Silicoid empire, or to deal with a little negligence from a father-figure? I'll take negligence every day, seriously.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 19, 2011 at 6:45 am)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote:
(March 19, 2011 at 6:22 am)Itslikebeingshiton Wrote: Every time I get into a religious debate with a christian it always ends up going to the same place. Its the place where they give up trying to find fact and settle for opinion, a.k.a "faith" instead. Usually its the point when I ask them about the horrible things that happen to innocent human beings on a daily basis. Their answer is always "Its god's will". I translate that as "I don't know and I don't care."

*witty neutral response because I'm too tired for anything particularly clever*

Quote:So someone could have their entire family die randomly to freak accidents and that person is supposed to chalk that up to "god's will" and just move on? Common sense would suggest that now is the time you stop going to church and praying to a god that took so much from you. So you lose your career job only months from retirement and are forced to work at a convenience store at age 60 and that is part ot god's plan? And we can't leave out the situation in Japan. What did they do? How come we have things like cancer and babies born with mutations and people like Dr. Phil? For as much support this so-called "god" is getting, that supposed entity is sure not doing a very good job of taking care of its fans.

It wouldn't be randomly if it was God's will. I don't imagine they would 'just' move on, most people would grieve to that. Evidently, you need to read Job... which is all about this.

Age 60 isn't as huge as it used to be. Hooray for medicine... or to hell with it, whichever ^_^ I'll hopefully be dead by the time I'd be sixty, so it really doesn't matter to me Tongue

What situation is there in Japan this time? Weren't they having problems of some sort or other just last decade? How silly of them! ^_^ I'll tell you the most evil thing about the Japanese: they speak Japanese! >_< Few languages in this world are so awful. English is awful too. It claims to have 20 some letters... and then it makes 60 some sounds with them @_@ They should get hit with an earthquake, or six! Angry

You will either live long enough to get cancer or die before you get it. Cancer is inevitable if you do not die. Best way to avoid cancer? Die! ^_^

Babies born with mutations are how we evolve, silly! ^_^ Sometimes we devolve, but that's okay, because how could I exist without devolving after my time warp into the past? ^_^

Dr. Phil is my hero! ^_^ Or was that just the Doctor? I don't even know! XD

Would you prefer to be enslaved by the Silicoid empire, or to deal with a little negligence from a father-figure? I'll take negligence every day, seriously.

$.00
(March 19, 2011 at 6:47 am)Itslikebeingshiton Wrote:

$500,000.00

I've fixed that for you. Now would be about the time to pay. I have connections with the Carta that you do not want me to have to go to. Tiny Tiger
The question (why do people suffer) doesn't have a good answer. It's a selfish question. What about the other living creatures that suffer horribly? What about the reasoning to live in an area where disaster has a very good chance of occurring? What about letting monetary concerns guide your decision to build a nuclear power plant using concrete not able to withstand movement?

Then why aspire to an unattainable fantasy instead of appreciating reality? Christianity deals with reality and not fantasy. People do suffer, and that's a fact.
(March 19, 2011 at 7:39 am)fr0d0 Wrote: The question (why do people suffer) doesn't have a good answer. It's a selfish question. What about the other living creatures that suffer horribly? What about the reasoning to live in an area where disaster has a very good chance of occurring? What about letting monetary concerns guide your decision to build a nuclear power plant using concrete not able to withstand movement?

Then why aspire to an unattainable fantasy instead of appreciating reality? Christianity deals with reality and not fantasy. People do suffer, and that's a fact.

Why does suffering have to occur in anything? What reality has Christianity brought to this world? Prove it. You can't, but I am sure you are going to find some way of tying your validation to your religion and this "faith" thing that is simply a cop-out since you have run out of factual answers.

$500,000.00

Quote:I've fixed that for you. Now would be about the time to pay. I have connections with the Carta that you do not want me to have to go to. Tiny Tiger

Since all a person has to do is scroll up and see what value I really typed, your post has no choice but to appear like a complete waste of time and most would have to chuckle at the fact that you put forth the effort into typing such a response when you could have been doing other things in life...
(March 19, 2011 at 7:39 am)fr0d0 Wrote: The question (why do people suffer) doesn't have a good answer. It's a selfish question. What about the other living creatures that suffer horribly? What about the reasoning to live in an area where disaster has a very good chance of occurring? What about letting monetary concerns guide your decision to build a nuclear power plant using concrete not able to withstand movement?

Reality deals with reality. Fantasy deals with fantasy. Christianity (among other religions) is as fantastic as it gets.

(March 19, 2011 at 6:45 am)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Babies born with mutations are how we evolve, silly! ^_^ Sometimes we devolve, but that's okay, because how could I exist without devolving after my time warp into the past? ^_^

Evolution doesn't go forwards and backwards. There's no way to devolve.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
(March 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm)Itslikebeingshiton Wrote: $500,000.00

Quote:I've fixed that for you. Now would be about the time to pay. I have connections with the Carta that you do not want me to have to go to. Tiny Tiger

Since all a person has to do is scroll up and see what value I really typed, your post has no choice but to appear like a complete waste of time and most would have to chuckle at the fact that you put forth the effort into typing such a response when you could have been doing other things in life...

Of course they can scroll up to see the mistake you made, and I really don't see how anyone would be unhappy that I corrected it for you Tiny Tiger

I'm a helper-squirrel Tiger

Believe me... this isn't effort. This is boredom and immediate response. I'm reading a magazine as I write this, only going to look back at it to correct spelling and then it's send time Smile

Ubermensh Wrote:Evolution doesn't go forwards and backwards. There's no way to devolve.

Thinking

There is actually one way to devolve: BACKWARDS! XD

But no, you're completely right.
(March 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm)Itslikebeingshiton Wrote: Why does suffering have to occur in anything?
you tell me. I already gave my answer.

(March 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm)Itslikebeingshiton Wrote: What reality has Christianity brought to this world? Prove it. You can't, but I am sure you are going to find some way of tying your validation to your religion and this "faith" thing that is simply a cop-out since you have run out of factual answers.
What the Fuck are you talking about? The reality is > people suffer. You disagree with this?

In your fantasy a God makes it all better unconditionally. In my faith he doesn't. Period. I'm content with the reality of that. You apparently have a problem.
(March 19, 2011 at 7:39 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Christianity deals with reality and not fantasy.

LMFAO..that was funny as hell fr0d0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4913 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  [Serious] For former Christians, what was it like to "know" Christ? GrandizerII 30 3872 March 14, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Trying to Apply the Ontological Argument in Real Life YahwehIsTheWay 21 4783 April 13, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 6768 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard Dystopia 206 45140 September 21, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  going to give my all to atheism Yoplait 46 8098 June 4, 2015 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Trying to save people robvalue 68 12548 August 23, 2014 at 12:26 am
Last Post: Polaris
  Trying to understand evolution JDepps 17 3851 July 28, 2014 at 1:53 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Do atheists give value to righteousness? Knowledge of God 45 7363 July 6, 2014 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  can you give a newbie advice? aces 17 3289 May 5, 2014 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan