Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Can atheists live without mentioning god, religion and the likes?
Can atheists live without mentioning god, religion and the likes?
I am sick and tired of atheists justifying atheism through religious doctrines, words, and cock-and-bull stories. How can I consider you an atheist when you are using manmade religion as a means of explaining your position or refuting a theist’s position? Many atheists explain things by means of whatever religion they were brought up with; e.g. they invoke the bible, god, and ones religious history or background when justifying their point of view. If god is fake then all that is related to god is false.
You're right when you talk about yourself, and you're wrong when you talk about others.
RE: Can atheists live without mentioning god, religion and the likes?
What on earth are you talking about?

As to your original question: I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm shagging my woman I always yell out to God. Wink
(March 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm)Tiberius Wrote: What on earth are you talking about?

As to your original question: I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm shagging my woman I always yell out to God. Wink

Maybe god is your alter ego! and woman is......!!!!!
You're right when you talk about yourself, and you're wrong when you talk about others.
(March 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm)sun Wrote: I am sick and tired of atheists justifying atheism through religious doctrines, words, and cock-and-bull stories. How can I consider you an atheist when you are using manmade religion as a means of explaining your position or refuting a theist’s position? Many atheists explain things by means of whatever religion they were brought up with; e.g. they invoke the bible, god, and ones religious history or background when justifying their point of view. If god is fake then all that is related to god is false.
Ok so what I think you are saying is that: you would argue for atheism on different grounds. That is an accepatble position, but that does not mean to say there is no merit in exploring arguments from religious confusion and scriptural inerrancy. So do you have a reason as to why these arguments are inferior, other than you don't like them?
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
(March 20, 2011 at 10:35 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote:
(March 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm)sun Wrote: I am sick and tired of atheists justifying atheism through religious doctrines, words, and cock-and-bull stories. How can I consider you an atheist when you are using manmade religion as a means of explaining your position or refuting a theist’s position? Many atheists explain things by means of whatever religion they were brought up with; e.g. they invoke the bible, god, and ones religious history or background when justifying their point of view. If god is fake then all that is related to god is false.
Ok so what I think you are saying is that: you would argue for atheism on different grounds. That is an accepatble position, but that does not mean to say there is no merit in exploring arguments from religious confusion and scriptural inerrancy. So do you have a reason as to why these arguments are inferior, other than you don't like them?

To be an atheist is to accept things as they are and not to dwell in fantasy. Religious scholars have to explain why those who strive succeed and not those who pray? A farmer who strives will succeed, a pirate who strives will succeed, a land grabber who strives will succeed, but if you go to the beach and start praying to god you will not succeed.
Quote:but if you go to the beach and start praying to god you will not succeed.

Unless you pray for a sun burn.

(March 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm)sun Wrote: To be an atheist is to accept things as they are and not to dwell in fantasy. Religious scholars have to explain why those who strive succeed and not those who pray? A farmer who strives will succeed, a pirate who strives will succeed, a land grabber who strives will succeed, but if you go to the beach and start praying to god you will not succeed.
To be an atheist is to reject theism on either grounds of: there is no god or there is no reason to believe that there is a god; nothing more/less. It says nothing about whether atheists are fantasists or not, there are some atheists for example who believe in ID (except it is design without a god). There are many arguments which support atheism, some (but not all/most) directly involving engaging with theism on its own turf. I see no reason to accept your argument, although I personally believe the strongest arguments for atheism are those which involve evidence from outside of theology.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.

What have you been smoking?

I don't justify atheism through religious doctrines, I justify atheism by way of epistemology, there is no way to obtain justification for theistic beliefs so to believe in some form of theism is irrational - If that is the case then Atheism (being without belief in god) is the only position worth holding.

What is wrong with using a theists beliefs to refute their position? They are often self-defeating, pointing that out to refute their position is perfectly reasonable.

And what the hell do you mean by 'Many atheists explain things by means of whatever religion they were brought up with'? What is an example of where an atheist invoking God to justify their position?

It seems to me you have no idea of what you're talking about, but feel free to show me wrong.
(March 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm)sun Wrote: To be an atheist is to accept things as they are and not to dwell in fantasy. Religious scholars have to explain why those who strive succeed and not those who pray? A farmer who strives will succeed, a pirate who strives will succeed, a land grabber who strives will succeed, but if you go to the beach and start praying to god you will not succeed.

An atheist is having no belief in an higher being/god. I don't know where you pulled out "not to dwell in fantasy".

What the hell are you on about????

We use religion to refute religion, not to justify atheism, which is simply an absence of belief(in a god or gods) and requires no more justification than a lack of belief in Russel's teapot.

As to attacking religion and other ridiculous beliefs such as homeopathy and creationism?

I do it because I enjoy it.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature? ShinyCrystals 18 906 January 8, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My views on God and religion ShinyCrystals 72 4382 October 30, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 404 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 15733 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1914 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8876 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4233 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" Bahana 220 22345 October 8, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4473 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2198 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet