Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitbulls
Pitbulls
My sister has had a pitbull for over 10 years now. I have been it's sitter for 9 of those years over newyears and again in the spring when she vacations. 

The dog is small. Not purse pirate small, but pitbulls are not big dogs. They aren't dobermans or rottweilers. Yet because of selective news stories and a general perseption that they are "fighting" dogs people are afraid of them.

So now the question. IF you are afraid of pitbulls, why? I don't judge, just curious why people are afraid of such a little dog.
"I'm thick." - Me
RE: Pitbulls
Generally, I'm not a dog person.

I don't hate or fear them (though I loathe yappy little rat-dogs and always feel like stomping on them).

I've always said that if I ever got a dog, it would be a larger dog like a German Shepherd or somethi g similar.

As to pitbulls, like any dog, it's generally about the way it's trained and treated. Some dogs have been bred to be fighting dogs.

It's an unfortunate legacy of humanity interfering in the development of species.
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 2, 2022 at 7:11 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Generally, I'm not a dog person.

I don't hate or fear them (though I loathe yappy little rat-dogs and always feel like stomping on them).

I've always said that if I ever got a dog, it would be a larger dog like a German Shepherd or somethi g similar.

As to pitbulls, like any dog, it's generally about the way it's trained and treated.  Some dogs have been bred to be fighting dogs.

It's an unfortunate legacy of humanity interfering in the development of species.

[Image: 1ec8f60ac4e463e4bb78b6a5de5d3ffd.png]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 2, 2022 at 7:11 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Generally, I'm not a dog person.

As to pitbulls, like any dog, it's generally about the way it's trained and treated.  Some dogs have been bred to be fighting dogs.

So do you think pitbulls, cause of what I mentioned, are "some dogs have been bred to be fighting dogs"? And while you are macho and not afraid of them, would you admit this misunderstanding of "bred to be fighting dogs" causes people to fear them?
"I'm thick." - Me
The only animal I have any issues with is the human being.
(January 2, 2022 at 7:30 am)Goosebump Wrote:

So do you think pitbulls, cause of what I mentioned, are "some dogs have been bred to be fighting dogs"? And while you are macho and not afraid of them, would you admit this misunderstanding of "bred to be fighting dogs" causes people to fear them?

Pits aren’t so much ‘bred’ to be fighting dogs as they are trained up to it. It’s possible to make any member of any dog breed dangerously aggressive. It’s bloody silly to be afraid of a dog breeds, but perfectly sensible to be afraid of an individual dog.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 2, 2022 at 7:37 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 2, 2022 at 7:30 am)Goosebump Wrote: So do you think pitbulls, cause of what I mentioned, are "some dogs have been bred to be fighting dogs"? And while you are macho and not afraid of them, would you admit this misunderstanding of "bred to be fighting dogs" causes people to fear them?

Pits aren’t so much ‘bred’ to be fighting dogs as they are trained up to it. It’s possible to make any member of any dog breed dangerously aggressive. It’s bloody silly to be afraid of a dog breeds, but perfectly sensible to be afraid of an individual dog.

Boru

Would you say there is an analogy here for people?
"I'm thick." - Me
(January 2, 2022 at 7:39 am)Goosebump Wrote:
(January 2, 2022 at 7:37 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Pits aren’t so much ‘bred’ to be fighting dogs as they are trained up to it. It’s possible to make any member of any dog breed dangerously aggressive. It’s bloody silly to be afraid of a dog breeds, but perfectly sensible to be afraid of an individual dog.

Boru

Would you say there is an analogy here for people?

Nope. For example, all French people are exactly the same, having been bred to condescending snobbery for countless generations. Therefore, it is completely reasonable to hate and fear all French people.

Boru

Note for the humour impaired: that was a joke.
(January 2, 2022 at 7:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 2, 2022 at 7:39 am)Goosebump Wrote: Would you say there is an analogy here for people?

Nope. For example, all French people are exactly the same, having been bred to condescending snobbery for countless generations. Therefore, it is completely reasonable to hate and fear all French people.

Boru

I improved your post. Also loled a little despite french relatives.
"I'm thick." - Me
(January 2, 2022 at 7:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 2, 2022 at 7:39 am)Goosebump Wrote: Would you say there is an analogy here for people?

Boru

Yeah.

Why fear the French?
Dying to live, living to die.