Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atheist can't accept new ideas
atheist can't accept new ideas
I was talking to my aunt about how religious people and organizations are slow to accept new ideas. Her defence was atheists can't accept new ideas based on the fact that they reject the old ideas of religion.
I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them

-- Galileo Galilei
RE: atheist can't accept new ideas
Your aunt is a world-class asshole.

Sorry....but there it is.
(March 22, 2011 at 12:23 am)the6dead Wrote: I was talking to my aunt about how religious people and organizations are slow to accept new ideas. Her defence was atheists can't accept new ideas based on the fact that they reject the old ideas of religion.

Um, sounds like nonsense to me. Does she seriously think that old ideas of religion have anything to do with the 21st century?

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
(March 22, 2011 at 12:37 am)Minimalist Wrote: Your aunt is a world-class asshole.

Sorry....but there it is.
I know the bad is I live with her and my mom.(my mom is a free thinker)
she is always trying to convert me.
(March 22, 2011 at 12:41 am)ozgoat Wrote:
(March 22, 2011 at 12:23 am)the6dead Wrote: I was talking to my aunt about how religious people and organizations are slow to accept new ideas. Her defence was atheists can't accept new ideas based on the fact that they reject the old ideas of religion.

Um, sounds like nonsense to me. Does she seriously think that old ideas of religion have anything to do with the 21st century?
yes yes she does.
I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them

-- Galileo Galilei
(March 22, 2011 at 12:41 am)ozgoat Wrote: Um, sounds like nonsense to me.
Sounds like nonsense to me too. Atheists can be as rigid in their thinking as any other person, but that statement makes no sense.

(March 22, 2011 at 12:41 am)ozgoat Wrote: Does she seriously think that old ideas of religion have anything to do with the 21st century?
I watched The Last Airbender again the other week. I was blown away. The baddies are the Fire Nation... an obvious metaphor for the industrialised nations. At one point they discover the spirits of the moon and ocean as a pair of fish. The Fire Nation kills one, saying that they are too powerful to need childish superstition any more. Of course the world tips out of balance and is a miserable place, with the Fire Nation now in full control.

Sums it all up really.
Your Aunt doesn't sound like a woman given to a lot of thinking.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Logic Fail Smile

We don't have trouble accepting new ideas, that's why Atheists are on the forefront of Science and Philosophy, we have trouble accepting bad ideas, that's why we don't waste large portions of our lives on our knees hoping that the slave master is listening.
Since when does rejecting old ideas equate to not accepting new ideas? Accepting new ones usually requires questioning and rejecting old ones. In fact, that's how science works. Silly aunt. It's the religious people who cling to old religious ideas who tend to have a harder time seeing things in new ways.

[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
So, explain this to me again....

What exactly do "new ideas" have to do with "the old ideas of religion"? Other than the fact that "new ideas" show the "the old ideas of religion" to be nonsensical.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Dogma SPECIFICALLY stops people from accepting new ideas.

Theology is DOGMA

atheists do not partake of theism or its dogma.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11156 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1849 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  what believers accept without thinking Akat4891 17 6315 June 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why can't Christians accept the fact that Hitler was a Christian NuclearEnergy 118 16681 April 18, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 8991 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Here's what can happen to an atheist in a Muslim country drfuzzy 12 2213 February 13, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is it time all religions accept evolution? Mystic 35 9648 August 11, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can Dystopia 25 5278 July 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Found a new religion I can follow as an atheist! TheMonster 14 2963 July 9, 2015 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  If we can't criticize Islam in the West, where can it be criticized? TheMessiah 29 7767 May 10, 2015 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Dystopia