Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Eyes - "The Hardest Logic Puzzle in the World"
Blue Eyes - "The Hardest Logic Puzzle in the World"
I managed to find this in Google's cache since the crash. For those who know the answer, please use [hide] tags, so that people who haven't heard the solution can have a go.

This is one variant of the "Blue Eyes" problem, often considered one of the hardest logic puzzles.

In the middle of the ocean there is a small island where there are a number of people living. They all are devoted to a very strange and specific religion, of which there is one simple rule:

"If you ever find out that you have blue eyes, you must kill yourself at midnight that night."

To get around this rule (and make sure all their friends don't kill themselves), nobody talks about the eye colour of anyone on the island, and nobody possesses any mirrors or other ways of accidentally finding out their own eye colour.

Every day when the sun is highest in the sky, all the residents of the island congregate in one area of the island so that every single one of them can see every other person on the island, and more importantly, what eye colour they have.

One day, whilst everyone is at this congregation, a foreigner arrives, and states to everyone (so that everyone can hear him) "I can see at least 1 person with blue eyes". He then leaves.

All the people are perfect logicians, if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. Let us suppose that there are 100 blue eyed people on the island, and 100 brown eyed people. Knowing this, can you work out how many people kill themselves, and on which night they do it?

Before you answer, know that this is not a trick question, and the answer is logical. It doesn't depend on tricky wording or anyone lying or guessing, and it doesn't involve people doing something silly like creating a sign language or doing genetics. The foreigner is not making eye contact with anyone in particular; he's simply saying "I count at least one blue-eyed person on this island who isn't me."

Also, even though we know that there are 100 blue eyed and 100 brown eyed people on the island, this is not common knowledge to the people themselves. For example, a blue eyed person on the island cannot deduce he is blue eyed by simply counting the number of other blue eyed people; he has no idea exactly how many blue eyed people (or brown eyed people) are on the island.

And lastly, the answer is not "no one kills themselves."
RE: Blue Eyes - "The Hardest Logic Puzzle in the World"
I would say "no one kills themselves.", although i know it's false

My logic is that any person that doesn't know they have blue eyes would see any other with blue eyes and would presume the foreigner would mean the other person and not himself so he doesn't know still that he has no blue eyes and hencefort commit suicide

Is this correct?

Given the title of the post, I think I may have missed some subtlety :S
Or maybe something really obvious!
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Nope that's it Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loan Interest Payment Puzzle / Question Tiberius 34 6794 May 5, 2017 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  [3 Switch 3 Bulb] Puzzle ErGingerbreadMandude 15 4822 July 9, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Tricky Number Sequence Puzzle GrandizerII 16 6027 January 20, 2015 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Logic and truth values robvalue 13 6275 September 9, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Logic Question reality.Mathematician 14 4245 June 17, 2014 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: One Above All
  The 12 Coins Puzzle Tiberius 25 15352 December 13, 2010 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Alston
  The "classic" counterfiet coin puzzle jvwert 18 8719 December 7, 2010 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  number puzzle 1-8 aufis 5 12949 April 24, 2010 at 6:44 am
Last Post: aufis
  Man refuses a check for a million for solving one of the hardest math problems. leo-rcc 12 5739 March 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: tavarish