Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What could this be?
What could this be?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout...an-history
Trudging through endless religion one step at a time.
RE: What could this be?
I don't know. If it has the implications that they say it does, then it would be a very noteworthy discovery. Particularly if it proves the existance of Jesus as a historical figure.

If I had to take a wild guess, however, I would guess that it may be one of the pre-bible storybooks that tell one of the stories that was originally folded into the bible cannon.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
The rule of thumb, as pronounced by noted archaeologist Israel Finkelstein is that any artifact which shows up on the antiquities market rather than from a controlled excavation must be regarded as a fraud until proven otherwise.

Also..... the appearance of this right around Easter has my bullshit detector beeping like crazy. It is exactly the kind of shit that gets trotted out every year to make the faithful cum in their pants.
To Christians, It is as if somehow the discovery of a copy of the "The Adventures of Pinocchio" printed during the life time of Carlo Collodi lends credence to the notion that there existed a wooden puppets who talked, whose nose grew when he lied, and who was resurrected as a living boy.
Great another thing to add to the pile of garbage(Christianity).
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Fascinating,but the authenticity is irrelevant. Many Christians will accept it if it confirms dogma.If not,it will be rejected out of hand, just was The Gospel of Thomas,an authentic discovery,part of the Nag Hammadi findings in 1945..

At this point it smells. I remember reading how some experts of the day (at the Eastman laboratories) were certain the photos of the Cottingley Fairies could not have been faked.(they were)

The full Wiki article is worth reading.

Quote:The Gospel According to Thomas, commonly shortened to the Gospel of Thomas, is a well preserved early Christian, non-canonical sayings-gospel discovered near Nag Hammadi, Egypt, in December 1945, in one of a group of books known as the Nag Hammadi library. The Gospel of Thomas was found among a collection of fifty-two writings including gospels claiming to have been written by Jesus' disciple Philip and an excerpt from Plato's Republic. Scholars have speculated that the works were buried in response to a letter from the bishop Athanasius who for the first time declared a strict canon of Christian scripture.[1

Quote:The Gospel of Thomas is regarded by some scholars as one of the most important texts in understanding early Christianity outside the New Testament. It is one of the earliest accounts of the teaching of Jesus outside of the canonical gospels, according to a few scholars, and so is considered a valuable text.[64] It is further unique in that the gospel is no more than a collection of Jesus' sayings and parables, and contains no narrative account of his life, which is something that all four canonical gospels include.

No major Christian group accepts this gospel as canonical or authoritative. Nonetheless, it is an important work for scholars working on the Q document, which itself is thought to be a collection of sayings or teachings upon which Matthew and Luke are partly based. Although no copy of Q has ever been discovered, the fact that Thomas is similarly a 'sayings' Gospel is taken by some as indication that the early Christians did write collections of the sayings of Jesus, and thus they feel it renders the Q theory more credible.[65]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Thomas
more to fight over
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout...an-history
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: more to fight over
One thing 'christians' have got to get straight is that their religion is just a doomsday cult, drawn directly from judaism.

But, I agree that the artifact IS very interesting.

And when it has been fully examined it can be claimed by Jordan (for all the good it is going to do them)
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
"it could here be designed to refer to the resurrection."

That was enough for me. Dodgy
Agreed Dodgy

Still cool artifact. Probably end up as some roman's shopping list and inventory. Tongue
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  60% of US adults... could be worse -z- 2 1276 December 31, 2013 at 3:28 am
Last Post: Kayenneh