Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Should Be Allowed To Vote
Lightbulb 
I Should Be Allowed To Vote
I am 15 and so am not old enough to vote... this is unfair. Besides the fact that I am tenfold more politically aware than most adults;
1. I pay income tax (I wash dishes).
2. I do a lot for my community and therefore am a responsible citizen.
Why does age dictate voting restrictions? How can I have my voice heard if I'm not allowed to? I want to vote!

/rant
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
RE: I Should Be Allowed To Vote
Age dictates not very much, it's "efficient" at the cost of having a non-specialized populace that favors an industrial model where humans are easily replaced cogs in a great machine.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Wow, you are 15? I thought you were at least in your 20's or 30's.

If you are in America, then you arent the only one who has complained about this. The voting age used to be 21, but the drafting age was 18. So you could be refused participation in the process of electing a leader, but that same elected leader can force you to go to war against your wishes.

I think everything should kick in at 18 personally, alcohol, voting, etc...but I might be talked to lowering the voting age to 16 if I hear some good arguments.

btw - I was born in 1972
ReverendJeremiah Wrote:I think everything should kick in at 18 personally, alcohol, voting, etc...but I might be talked to lowering the voting age to 16 if I hear some good arguments.

Argument: they are already drinking alcohol at 16, and partying, and having sex, and have access to drugs. The only 16 year olds that do not do these things do so out of their own values, and wouldn't do it if it was legalized anyway.

Random anecdote: I wouldn't mind that a high schooler was taking cocaine... except that he (14) was obtaining this by stealing it from his parents and *peddling it out to strangers in the city*. He's a danger to himself if he does that at 14. Hence my reporting of him. Hardly the only drug user in high school though Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Voting is overrated. Rare is the time that there is a candidate worth voting for.
(April 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Wow, you are 15? I thought you were at least in your 20's or 30's.
Why?
Quote:If you are in America, then you arent the only one who has complained about this. The voting age used to be 21, but the drafting age was 18. So you could be refused participation in the process of electing a leader, but that same elected leader can force you to go to war against your wishes.

I think everything should kick in at 18 personally, alcohol, voting, etc...but I might be talked to lowering the voting age to 16 if I hear some good arguments.
What kind of arguments would convince you?
Quote:btw - I was born in 1972
Haha... my dad was born in 1972.

(April 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Voting is overrated. Rare is the time that there is a candidate worth voting for.

Might as well try.....besides, if you don't care then why do you pay attention to politics?
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
You are probably better informed than most registered voters. I haven't voted in years because the two parties are primarily concerned with getting, and keeping, themselves in power. What is best for the country is a secondary concern, if that. Perhaps if enough of us stop voting for them, they will get the hint that we want something else. A candidate that will represent us.
(April 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Voting is overrated. Rare is the time that there is a candidate worth voting for.

Min does have a good point. When I go into the voting booth, it is voting for the lesser of the most evils. Its never voting for who I want to be in charge, but AGAINST who I DO NOT want to be in charge.
Quote:besides, if you don't care then why do you pay attention to politics?

Because the Republicans are trying to shove a red white and blue dick up my ass.
(April 4, 2011 at 8:05 pm)SpatiumTempusque Wrote: I am 15 and so am not old enough to vote... this is unfair. Besides the fact that I am tenfold more politically aware than most adults;
1. I pay income tax (I wash dishes).
2. I do a lot for my community and therefore am a responsible citizen.
Why does age dictate voting restrictions? How can I have my voice heard if I'm not allowed to? I want to vote!

/rant

Crushing your idealism until we are certain it will never revive takes time. This is why you must wait before you are allowed to vote.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earning the Vote FrustratedFool 111 3767 November 9, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Kevin McCarthy loses 6th vote for Speaker Brian37 111 4607 January 7, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6716 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1321 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Would you vote for a Scientologist? Fake Messiah 19 867 March 14, 2021 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7330 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Lincoln Project/Vote Vets ad, featuring Sully..... Brian37 18 1262 September 30, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Sal
  Save The Vote - NOTA onlinebiker 18 680 September 29, 2020 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Vote Blue, no matter who Foxaèr 45 2697 February 9, 2020 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Prime Time
  Vote Blue No Matter Who! Foxaèr 18 1313 June 30, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda