Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The world's first scientist
The world's first scientist
God: "What did you just do?"

Eve: "You said the fruit was fatal within twenty-four hours."

God: "I did."

Eve: "But snake said the fruit was not immediately fatal.  In fact, he said it was brain food."

God: "That doesn't answer my question."

Eve: "Well, I had two competing claims, so I carried out an experiment to find out who was lying."

Adam: "If it makes any difference, sir, I helped."

God: "You what?"

Eve: "He also ate the fruit.  I told him I wanted to evaluate any sex-based differences."

God: "And what was the result?"

Eve: "It's brain food."
RE: The world's first scientist
(October 29, 2022 at 9:14 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: God: "What did you just do?"

Eve: "You said the fruit was fatal within twenty-four hours."

God: "I did."

Eve: "But snake said the fruit was not immediately fatal.  In fact, he said it was brain food."

God: "That doesn't answer my question."

Eve: "Well, I had two competing claims, so I carried out an experiment to find out who was lying."

Adam: "If it makes any difference, sir, I helped."

God: "You what?"

Eve: "He also ate the fruit.  I told him I wanted to evaluate any sex-based differences."

God: "And what was the result?"

Eve: "It's brain food."

That’s not really a scientific experiment. Eve would have needed at least two more people - one male, one female - as a control group.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 30, 2022 at 3:42 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That’s not really a scientific experiment. Eve would have needed at least two more people - one male, one female - as a control group.

Boru

I would have some concerns about such a small sample size.
(October 30, 2022 at 7:10 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(October 30, 2022 at 3:42 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That’s not really a scientific experiment. Eve would have needed at least two more people - one male, one female - as a control group.

Boru

This was a time when a man, his wife, and their little boy could built an entire city with a population of three.

Genesis 4:17-18 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.  And unto Enoch was born Irad...

Boru

Hence the qualifier ‘at least’. Clearly, the larger your data set, the better.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 30, 2022 at 7:56 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 30, 2022 at 7:10 am)Jehanne Wrote: I would have some concerns about such a small sample size.

Hence the qualifier ‘at least’. Clearly, the larger your data set, the better.

Boru

I was trying to be polite.  One could make few, if any, statistical inferences with respect to any population that was substantially larger, at least with respect to any novel characteristics that were not already self-evident.
(October 30, 2022 at 7:31 am)LinuxGal Wrote:
(October 30, 2022 at 7:10 am)Jehanne Wrote: I would have some concerns about such a small sample size.

This was a time when a man, his wife, and their little boy could built an entire city with a population of three.

Genesis 4:17-18 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.  And unto Enoch was born Irad...

"Surely, your joking, LinuxGal!"

Boru

Surely there were those who trod the path to science before ever the new fangled concept of “statistically significant” had been invented to help sort out the mess made by god.
I find it amazing that inferential statistics is only about a century old with the work of Pearson, Fischer and Tukey taking place in the 20th-century.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World's first robot citizen an atheist? Mystical 63 19066 February 3, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: iameatingjam
  New Evidence for Multiverse from Planck Scientist skydivephil 66 17865 January 13, 2018 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: Agnosty
  A scientist and a theist complete a jigsaw together... FebruaryOfReason 10 3209 February 25, 2016 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Argument of first world problems - WRONG! Dystopia 28 7872 January 18, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  New Scientist 2856 pgrimes15 5 2373 March 24, 2012 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Welsh cake