Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coronation
Coronation
It's this Saturday. The last one was in 1953. I guess I'll be watching some of it to see money being thrown around. I mean they even made a scale model of the Westminster Abbey inside Buckingham Palace’s ballroom so that Charles can practice putting the crown on his head.

But it seems like brits (and maybe even Canadians, and people in Australia) will be yelling from their homes

Public invited to swear their allegiance as king is crowned

Members of the public watching the coronation on television, online, and in parks and pubs will be invited to swear aloud their allegiance to the monarch in a “chorus of millions of voices” to be known as the Homage of the People.

People around the UK and abroad will be invited to say the words “I swear that I will pay true allegiance to your majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God”, in a declaration that replaces the traditional homage of peers.

But the coronation was “first and foremost an act of Christian worship”, he said. “It is my prayer that all who share in this service, whether they are of faith or no faith, will find ancient wisdom and new hope that brings inspiration and joy.”

The service will start with a procession of faith representatives of the Jewish, Sunni and Shia Muslim, Sikh, Buddhist, Hindu, Jain, Bahá’í and Zoroastrian communities. Peers from different faiths will take part in the presentation of regalia, and at the end of the service the newly crowned king will receive a greeting spoken in unison by representatives of Jewish, Hindu, Sikh, Muslim and Buddhist communities. This will be unamplified because of the prohibition on using electricity on the Jewish Sabbath.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023...is-crowned
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Coronation
Given the current economic climate in the UK, spending £100 million on a formality strikes me as a really bad optic.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The news here seems to be focused on the infighting among the royals, multiple references to Prince Harry's book, and Charles has fat fingers. Along with that is the list of who is and who isn't invited. The coronation looks more and more like a bad realty show.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

As a Brit, I can honestly say "who cares?"
I don't understand the point, as far as I understand it, when the Queen died, Charlie instantly became the new King, so what's the point of this waste of money... does it make him even more "Kingy"?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I think I lost all interest when a site I follow on FB ('cause Cavaliers) advertised 'coronation cookies' for dogs on their page. My three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are going to have to go without crown shaped dog biscuits. Terrible, I know.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Wasting money is what rich people like to do best.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 30, 2023 at 7:40 am)Tomato Wrote: Wasting money is what rich people like to do best.

The trouble is, the bill for all this chazzerai is being footed by the taxpayers. Charles’ personal worth is estimated at about £600 million. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 30, 2023 at 7:40 am)Tomato Wrote: Wasting money is what rich people like to do best.

They could waste some in my direction!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

My guess is that people respected the royal family more when they were forced into marrying other nobles (blue bloods), but now they are pretty much picking people off the street. Like Queen Camilla, and one day Queen Kate Middleton aka Waity Katie.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(April 30, 2023 at 7:28 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: As a Brit, I can honestly say "who cares?"
I don't understand the point, as far as I understand it, when the Queen died, Charlie instantly became the new King, so what's the point of this waste of money... does it make him even more "Kingy"?

As an American from my POV the Queens Corgi's should have been next in line.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]