Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relationship between programming languages and natural languages
Relationship between programming languages and natural languages
What do you guys here think, what is the relationship between programming languages and natural languages? Up until a few days ago, I thought the relationship was merely superficial and that that can be proven by the fact that Donkey Sentences can exist in human languages and they cannot exist in programming languages. However, a few days ago, I decided to ask a question on Programming Languages StackExchange whether something like a Donkey Sentence can exist in a programming language, and kaya3 claims that Donkey Sentences can exist in any programming language that allows pattern-matching (I don't know any such programming language, though, so I cannot evaluate that claim.).
RE: Relationship between programming languages and natural languages
I think kaya3 is probably right.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I think the number of people on this forum who would have an informed opinion on the matter is indistinguishable from zero.
(June 11, 2023 at 3:29 pm)Jackalope Wrote: I think the number of people on this forum who would have an informed opinion on the matter is indistinguishable from zero.

And the number of people on this forum who care is one.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(June 11, 2023 at 1:09 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: What do you guys here think, what is the relationship between programming languages and natural languages?

Very, very tenuous.  Programming languages have syntax.  So does mathematics, but only a particularly barmy group of abstract mathematicians would attempt to hold a conversation in only mathematical terminology.

Natural languages are much more fluid and versatile, and more suitable to real people living real lives in the real world.
(June 11, 2023 at 3:36 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(June 11, 2023 at 3:29 pm)Jackalope Wrote: I think the number of people on this forum who would have an informed opinion on the matter is indistinguishable from zero.

And the number of people on this forum who care is one.

I thought that the relationship between programming languages and natural languages is a major topic in modern philosophy. This forum is supposed to be about philosophy.
(June 11, 2023 at 6:57 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(June 11, 2023 at 3:36 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: And the number of people on this forum who care is one.

I thought that the relationship between programming languages and natural languages is a major topic in modern philosophy. This forum is supposed to be about philosophy.

Could you name six major philosophers who have published papers on this topic?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Blue.

Or, possibly, orange.
Dying to live, living to die.
(June 11, 2023 at 7:08 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 11, 2023 at 6:57 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: I thought that the relationship between programming languages and natural languages is a major topic in modern philosophy. This forum is supposed to be about philosophy.

Could you name six major philosophers who have published papers on this topic?

Boru

No. I also can't name six philosophers who write about atheism. In fact, I know only one: Keith Augustine. Michael Huemer is an atheist, but, as far as I know, he mainly writes about anarcho-capitalism and sometimes about veganism, rarely does he write about atheism. Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris are not philosophers.
List of atheist philosophers - Wikipedia

There have been many philosophers in recorded history who were . This is a list of atheist philosophers with articles in Wikipedia. Living persons in this list are people relevant to their notable activities or public life, and who have publicly identified themselves as atheists.

The list is extensive.  Much to long to post here.

You would think that computer guru would know how to Google.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1672 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 355 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7173 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4237 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 6913 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Can there be an object with a relationship? TheMuslim 15 3820 May 7, 2017 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Jarrey
  Why Does No One Change the Incorrect Relationship Narrative? InquiringMind 55 6737 October 7, 2016 at 1:31 am
Last Post: InquiringMind
  The difference between a sceptic and a non-sceptic robvalue 12 1962 May 20, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Do Humans have a Natural State? Shining_Finger 13 2507 April 1, 2016 at 4:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Natural Order and Science Harris 452 42299 March 24, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger