Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Reddit have moral rights to request large sums of money from Apollo?
Does Reddit have moral rights to request large sums of money from Apollo?
What do people on this forum think, does Reddit have moral rights to request large sums of money from Apollo? I think it doesn't. Apollo is essentially a specialized Internet browser. And what Reddit is doing makes about as much sense as somebody requesting compensation from Google or Mozilla before somebody used Chrome or Firefox to download a large file from your website.
RE: Does Reddit have moral rights to request large sums of money from Apollo?
On a scale of important to IDGAF, I'm leaning toward blueberry muffin.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
FA don't you have schoolwork to do? If you would stay on track, you might be done with your degree some day.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I got nothing, and I'm okay with that.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 14, 2023 at 3:00 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: What do people on this forum think, does Reddit have moral rights to request large sums of money from Apollo? I think it doesn't. Apollo is essentially a specialized Internet browser. And what Reddit is doing makes about as much sense as somebody requesting compensation from Google or Mozilla before somebody used Chrome or Firefox to download a large file from your website.

Anyone has a moral right to request money from anyone else.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Never heard of Apollo, if it's a web browser how can you ask for money from it?
"Hey Firefox, buy me a cheeseburger!"
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

But Reddit's so small and Apollo so big. I don't think they stand much of a chance without a star ship and tech.

[Image: who.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 14, 2023 at 3:29 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Never heard of Apollo, if it's a web browser how can you ask for money from it?
"Hey Firefox, buy me a cheeseburger!"

There's a bit of a furore about it at the moment, basically Reddit wants to start charging people (?more) for using its API, which up to this point I assume was free or at least substantially cheaper. Basically all these free or cheap apps that have built up around reddit (which I'm assuming Apollo is one of them), to make it more accessible etc, as well as add functionality/mods as a replacement for what is generally considered a crappy app (the official reddit app), are essentially going to be forced out of the market by this move by reddit, which many suggest is the very reason they're doing this, so for the last few days there's been a protest going on on reddit, a 'blackout', where in unison the moderators of thousands of 'subreddits' have been setting their communities to private, basically a strike, for two days. There's a lot of buzz on youtube for the blackout to be extended, and though I personally didn't even know about all these third party apps/mods until now, I certainly sympathise with the people, including moderators of the subreddits, that have come to rely on them, so if they do protest again, and/or for longer, I'm with them on that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Dell have a Dill warranty? BananaFlambe 5 404 December 5, 2023 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Does Building Your Own Computer Still Save Money? goddamnit 11 6162 July 21, 2012 at 4:42 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Robot Rights. Napoléon 28 10949 April 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Request for content. Tiberius 5 1610 January 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Tiberius