Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blinken practices Liberal Appeasement: "Do not support Taiwan's Independence".
Blinken practices Liberal Appeasement: "Do not support Taiwan's Independence".
Why is this fellow, seemingly so strong in (correctly) defending Ukraine, talking like a liberal appeaser on the Greater Danger of Commie China?

from NY Post:

"WASHINGTON – Secretary of State Antony Blinken raised eyebrows Monday, telling reporters the US “does not support Taiwan independence” after meeting in Beijing with officials including Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Blinken’s statement ruffled the feathers of many Republicans in Congress, who viewed the statement – and the secretary’s inability to re-establish military-to-military communications – as an inappropriate kowtow to America’s greatest adversary.
“Blinken flew to Communist China to appease Xi Jinping and state the Biden administration does not support Taiwan’s independence,” Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) said on Twitter. “Why won’t this administration stand up to bullies and stand for freedom?”
The Taiwan issue is among the most contentious in the US-China relationship, with Xi making it his No. 1 priority to “reunite” Taiwan with China — though the island about 100 miles off the country’s southeastern coast has never actually been part of it.
Rep. Ben Cline (R-Va.) tweeted that Blinken’s statement was a “dangerous display of weakness towards our adversaries on the world stage.”
“The Biden admin is giving China a green light to increase its intimidation of our ally, Taiwan,” he said.

..."

Thoughts?
RE: Blinken practices Liberal Appeasement: "Do not support Taiwan's Independence".
^Dunno why that's ruffling feathers. What Blinken said has been exactly the US position since 1979.

As an aside, you should probably stop talking about communists - no one even makes those anymore.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Blinken practices Liberal Appeasement: "Do not support Taiwan's Independence".
It's funny when a little trumptard goes out on their own for the first time.
(June 20, 2023 at 4:37 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: Why is this fellow, seemingly so strong in (correctly) defending Ukraine, talking like a liberal appeaser on the Greater Danger of Commie China?

from NY Post:

"WASHINGTON – Secretary of State Antony Blinken raised eyebrows Monday, telling reporters the US “does not support Taiwan independence” after meeting in Beijing with officials including Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Blinken’s statement ruffled the feathers of many Republicans in Congress, who viewed the statement – and the secretary’s inability to re-establish military-to-military communications – as an inappropriate kowtow to America’s greatest adversary.
“Blinken flew to Communist China to appease Xi Jinping and state the Biden administration does not support Taiwan’s independence,” Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) said on Twitter. “Why won’t this administration stand up to bullies and stand for freedom?”
The Taiwan issue is among the most contentious in the US-China relationship, with Xi making it his No. 1 priority to “reunite” Taiwan with China — though the island about 100 miles off the country’s southeastern coast has never actually been part of it.
Rep. Ben Cline (R-Va.) tweeted that Blinken’s statement was a “dangerous display of weakness towards our adversaries on the world stage.”
“The Biden admin is giving China a green light to increase its intimidation of our ally, Taiwan,” he said.

..."

Thoughts?

I'm curious where you get the idea that Taiwan is Xi's "No. 1 priority." 

Xi has a lot going on. The economy is going great guns. He gets visits from different heads of state every week. Has he taken any action regarding Taiwan that indicates aggression? 

China has a long history and it seems more patient about some issues than the US. Currently the pro-China party is leading the polls in Taiwan, and if they win big in the next elections they might choose to join China on their own. It's possible that Taiwan will join China on its own, if Xi simply waits. 

(In grad school I worked with a woman from Taiwan, whose father was making a fortune selling construction materials to China. He had no trouble going back and forth and would benefit financially even more if the countries united.)

I don't know, but it may be that Blinken is getting ready for such a result, as the US opposing the results of a democratic election would look bad. (I mean, they've done it plenty of times before, but it might not be practical here.)
(June 20, 2023 at 7:10 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(June 20, 2023 at 4:37 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: Why is this fellow, seemingly so strong in (correctly) defending Ukraine, talking like a liberal appeaser on the Greater Danger of Commie China?

from NY Post:

..."

Thoughts?

I'm curious where you get the idea that Taiwan is Xi's "No. 1 priority." 

Xi has a lot going on. The economy is going great guns. He gets visits from different heads of state every week. Has he taken any action regarding Taiwan that indicates aggression? 

China has a long history and it seems more patient about some issues than the US. Currently the pro-China party is leading the polls in Taiwan, and if they win big in the next elections they might choose to join China on their own. It's possible that Taiwan will join China on its own, if Xi simply waits. 

(In grad school I worked with a woman from Taiwan, whose father was making a fortune selling construction materials to China. He had no trouble going back and forth and would benefit financially even more if the countries united.)

I don't know, but it may be that Blinken is getting ready for such a result, as the US opposing the results of a democratic election would look bad. (I mean, they've done it plenty of times before, but it might not be practical here.)

Once again, the US supporting the One China policy is neither new nor news.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"I, for one, fully support our new mandarin overlords."

from NY Post:

..."

Thoughts?

Your fear of godless commie overlords is showing. Maybe you should consider purchasing more 'pink' clothing.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 20, 2023 at 4:37 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote:

Thoughts?

Anyone who takes their cues from the NY Post ought to find better sources.

Also the one China policy is standard US thought and frankly international thought.Tell me did you have similar strong feelings when Trump supported the same policy after a great deal of sabre rattling to the contrary?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-38927891

https://apnews.com/article/c646266824ac4...820985af81

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t...SKBN15P0OQ

Were you equally angry when George W Bush affirmed the policy ?

https://www.voanews.com/a/a-13-a-2004-05...72831.html

Fact is Antony Blinken just affirming what's already been affirmed a thousand times before.This isn't news.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(June 20, 2023 at 9:10 am)brewer Wrote:

from NY Post:

..."

Thoughts?

Your fear of godless commie overlords is showing. Maybe you should consider purchasing more 'pink' clothing.

Speaking strictly for myself, I’ll take a godless communist over a godly capitalist any day.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Putin Announces Total Independence from ‘Rothschild-Controlled’ US Dollar ignoramus 0 437 February 15, 2021 at 3:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I officially support Biden in the US elections WinterHold 34 2444 October 22, 2020 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Border Control Gets Bipartisan Support onlinebiker 20 1369 August 6, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Another liberal using women John V 38 3570 October 19, 2018 at 7:47 am
Last Post: John V
  In support of Dr. Ford Aroura 90 6490 October 7, 2018 at 11:07 am
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Trump says Saudi Arabia's King Salman 'would not last two weeks' without US support WinterHold 2 486 October 7, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  'Emotional Support Peacock' Barred From United Airlines Plane Seraphina 67 7943 February 11, 2018 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  In a stunning show of support for our troops, we seek to deport a vet with PTSD. The Grand Nudger 2 450 February 2, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catalonia declares independence! Aegon 35 3470 October 31, 2017 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I guess the L stands for Liberal John V 63 16927 June 11, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Amarok