Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving the Existence of a First Cause
Proving the Existence of a First Cause
I present an argument for the existence of a first cause. I would appreciate it if people can critique the argument and show where it fails.

Administrator Notice
After a 30/30 rule link removal, OP removed the admin note and copy/pasted the contents of the link.

Thread will be locked for staff discussion.
RE: Proving the Existence of God: Argument from Causality
Perhaps you could explain why the first cause, if a first cause is necessary, needs to be a super powered djinn...and why it does not need a cause itself.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Proving the Existence of God: Argument from Causality
(June 23, 2023 at 5:35 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Perhaps you could explain why the first cause, if a first cause is necessary, needs to be a super powered djinn...and why it does not need a cause itself.

As for why the first cause does not need a cause, if you read the aforementioned commandment of causality carefully, it says: "We must believe that every entity or occurrence has a cause, unless we have a good reason to believe that a particular entity or occurrence does not have a cause." The impossibility of an infinite causal regress serves as a good reason to believe that this particular entity, which is the first cause, does not have a cause. Therefore, the first cause does not violate our belief in the commandment. Even if we did not put the additional condition in the commandment initially, we can still say that our line of reasoning ultimately forces us to go back and slightly modify our articulation of the initial commandment (to add the bolded condition). There is no good reason to hesitate with such acts of modification. In fact, openness to such modification is a praiseworthy intellectual quality, and it is the opposite of stubbornness. It should be noted, however, that one should modify only as much as reason makes it necessary. There is no need to get rid of the entire commandment, and doing so would be highly problematic, in light of the aforementioned examples from al-Sadr's book.
RE: Proving the Existence of a First Cause
Thread locked for time for staff to discuss.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The existence of God smithd 314 19792 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Proving What We Already "Know" bennyboy 171 16530 July 30, 2022 at 1:40 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1704 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Existential Inertia vs. Sustaining First Cause GrandizerII 8 1143 August 24, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6287 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2807 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8040 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God As Grounding Cause datc 75 10017 May 27, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  God As Groundhog Cause BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1204 May 26, 2018 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13759 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok