Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism?
Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism?
I think that, while you can perhaps make Indo-European linguistics compatible with Young-Earth Creationism (by claiming Proto-Indo-European was spoken around 2200 BC, right after the Tower of Babel, and, obviously, by rejecting all forms of glottochronology), Afro-Asiatic linguistics is blatantly incompatible with Young-Earth-Creationism. I have started a thread about that on Christianity StackExchange: https://christianity.stackexchange.com/q/96177/62325
RE: Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism?
It's sad when even  young earth creationists can make you look foolish. But i'll whip out the popcorn and watch the quacks battle it out  Hehe
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(July 12, 2023 at 1:36 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: I think that, while you can perhaps make Indo-European linguistics compatible with Young-Earth Creationism (by claiming Proto-Indo-European was spoken around 2200 BC, right after the Tower of Babel, and, obviously, by rejecting all forms of glottochronology), Afro-Asiatic linguistics is blatantly incompatible with Young-Earth-Creationism. I have started a thread about that on Christianity StackExchange: https://christianity.stackexchange.com/q/96177/62325

You can generalize your point to “all aspects of reality, if seen in context, are fundamentally incompatible with young earth creationism”.

Will you make a separate thread for each and every aspect of reality?  That could take a very large number of quintillions years.
(July 12, 2023 at 1:44 pm)Helios Wrote: It's sad when even  young earth creationists can make you look foolish. But i'll whip out the popcorn and watch the quacks battle it out  Hehe

I don't think my arguments are actually flawed, I think Matthew on that forum is making ad-hoc hypotheses that make less sense than Flat-Earthism.
(July 12, 2023 at 2:13 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(July 12, 2023 at 1:36 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: I think that, while you can perhaps make Indo-European linguistics compatible with Young-Earth Creationism (by claiming Proto-Indo-European was spoken around 2200 BC, right after the Tower of Babel, and, obviously, by rejecting all forms of glottochronology), Afro-Asiatic linguistics is blatantly incompatible with Young-Earth-Creationism. I have started a thread about that on Christianity StackExchange: https://christianity.stackexchange.com/q/96177/62325

You can generalize your point to “all aspects of reality, if seen in context, are fundamentally incompatible with young earth creationism”.

Will you make a separate thread for each and every aspect of reality?  That could take a very large number of quintillions years.

Yes, but not all aspects of reality are equally incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism. Indo-European linguistics is not nearly as blatantly incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism as Afro-Asiatic linguistics is.

You know what else is incompatible with YEC? Reality.

This isn’t really a linguistics issue.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'll bet the people on Stack Exchange are as excited as I am about this new thread topic.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 12, 2023 at 2:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

You know what else is incompatible with YEC? Reality.

Boru

Not all arguments against YEC are valid, just like not all arguments against Flat-Earthism is valid. Asking Flat-Earthers "How it is that I feel like I am being pulled downwards?" or "How do the airplanes fly?" is not a valid argument. Asking Flat-Earthers "How it is that the gravitational acceleration measurably changes if you go to a high mountain?" is a valid argument (although it is unlikely to be convincing).
(July 12, 2023 at 3:57 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(July 12, 2023 at 2:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You know what else is incompatible with YEC? Reality.

Boru

Not all arguments against YEC are valid, just like not all arguments against Flat-Earthism is valid. Asking Flat-Earthers "How it is that I feel like I am being pulled downwards?" or "How do the airplanes fly?" is not a valid argument. Asking Flat-Earthers "How it is that the gravitational acceleration measurably changes if you go to a high mountain?" is a valid argument (although it is unlikely to be convincing).

This is not linguistics.  It's your disordered mind going off on another tangent.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 12, 2023 at 4:00 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(July 12, 2023 at 3:57 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: Not all arguments against YEC are valid, just like not all arguments against Flat-Earthism is valid. Asking Flat-Earthers "How it is that I feel like I am being pulled downwards?" or "How do the airplanes fly?" is not a valid argument. Asking Flat-Earthers "How it is that the gravitational acceleration measurably changes if you go to a high mountain?" is a valid argument (although it is unlikely to be convincing).

This is not linguistics.  It's your disordered mind going off on another tangent.

Afro-Asiatic linguistics is a science you (as it seems) need to reject if you accept the Young Earth Creationism. Just like astrophysics is. And just like you can use the Distant Starlight Problem to argue against Young Earth Creationism, you can use Afro-Asiatic linguistics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The age of the Earth LinuxGal 12 2492 March 21, 2023 at 5:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Hollow Earth Fake Messiah 8 954 October 14, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4047 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  87% of Young Irish Vote for Abortion! Jehanne 43 3768 May 31, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Creationism and Ignorance vulcanlogician 273 48115 May 23, 2018 at 3:03 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Creationism out in Youngstown brewer 17 2747 September 25, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: c172
  My case against Creationism and Infinite regression ErGingerbreadMandude 60 10041 April 26, 2016 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Teach children about Jesus at a young age, Foxaèr 171 29199 March 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  BBC's Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism Cyberman 5 1503 March 12, 2016 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Fundie Creationism song 2016 drfuzzy 17 3638 January 29, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet