Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not?
Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not?
So let's debate this. 

Anarchism is a system of government though it says it "is no system of government" at all. It doesn't get to win by default by saying that. It must be show that it is the true and best government system. Similarly, Atheism comes under Religous Systems. It is not excused from the obligations of showing it is the true and best form of religion or religious opinion. It must also adduce solid and weighty evidence in its favor to be taken seriously.

Thus, Dr. Craig rightly defends two propositions in most of his debates (1) There are Good Reasons to think (Christian) Theism is true. (2) There are no Good Reasons to think Atheism is true. And then gives evidence under either point. What evidence can Atheists offer to think Atheism is True?
RE: Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not?
Atheism doesn't need to be shown to be true. Until theism is shown to be true an Atheist is totally justified in disbelieving its claims which is all atheism is. Also, Atheism doesn't have to show anything you list above. As long as theism is unproven a person's atheism ( lack of belief in theistic claims )is justified. Atheism also can't be a religion as it has no system of tenants or worship or even anything that could be regarded as a unified set of beliefs.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Win what?  Anarchy is, by definition, not a system of government.  There's nothing to win or lose, it's just a description of the idea.  Similarly, there's nothing to win or to lose in atheism.  A person either does or does not believe in gods, and the term atheist describes the latter.  

You shared with us, before, that the actual explanation for your own state of belief is that you've had personal experiences.  Well, if this is good enough for you, then it would be just as good for me, right?  I've never met your boyfriend.

As for atheism being a religion, no. I mean, I could get super long winded about this but that would be pointless, and I think you know that. You can't count on two atheists to share a worldview, we have no common rites or rituals, we have no places of worship, we do not have a liturgy, and, fundamentally, atheism says absolutely nothing about how the world should be, what a good life is, or what our responsibilities to ourselves or each other are.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
He might as well ask me to prove my disbelief in Trolls is true  Hehe
"Change was inevitable"

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(July 24, 2023 at 12:14 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Win what?  Anarchy is, by definition, not a system of government.  There's nothing to win or lose, it's just a description of the idea.  Similarly, there's nothing to win or to lose in atheism.  A person either does or does not believe in gods, and the term atheist describes the latter.  

You shared with us, before, that the actual explanation for your own state of belief is that you've had personal experiences.  Well, if this is good enough for you, then it would be just as good for me, right?  I've never met your boyfriend.
Considering there is no such thing as an atheist government (what the heck would an atheist government even be based on?) It's like saying there is a disbelief in underwear gnomes' government  Hehe
"Change was inevitable"

–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Being without bread doesn't mean one has bread because you want it to be that way.

Being without religion does not make one theistic. Thus, atheism.

So, no, atheism is not a religion.

Care to create another thread to show off your ignorance?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Atheism isn't a religion because it has no doctrines, no dogma, no sets of rules, no official texts. There are no sects in atheism.  Atheism doesn't advocate for the restriction of non-atheist ideas and activities. Atheism doesn't attempt to enforce a particular set of morals. Atheism isn't dependent on fabulism. Atheism doesn't get tax breaks because of atheism.

Atheism is a religion in precisely the same sense that 'bald' is a hair colour.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Is atheism a religion. No. Full stop.

If you understood what atheism actually is, not your strawman bullshit idea of what it is, you wouldn't even need to ask.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
NX: creates thread about atheism being a religion.
Yet he *forgot* to define what atheism is.
I wonder why
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
No.

This question was easier than MTG at the gym.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11397 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4239 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24769 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5972 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 27074 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8574 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Islam is not a Religion, but a..... Omnisofos 41 12604 June 23, 2017 at 2:02 am
Last Post: Regina
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4474 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Science and Religion not in direct conflict? maestroanth 26 5114 December 31, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37