Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Book Recommendations
Top Book Recommendations
Give me 5 cool books to think about reading in the future.
RE: Top Book Recommendations
Going through this one:
https://freeaudiobooks.top/shadow-of-the-conqueror/

Claims to have great worldbuilding... So far, the writing style isn't great.
What sort of things are you interesting in? I do the Audiobook thing and got into a medical history phase. There have been a couple novels thrown in and now am listening to The Hobbit.

My taste in books is all over the place like my taste in music.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(August 14, 2023 at 10:44 am)arewethereyet Wrote: What sort of things are you interesting in? I do the Audiobook thing and got into a medical history phase. There have been a couple novels thrown in and now am listening to The Hobbit.

My taste in books is all over the place like my taste in music.

Pretty much all over the place. The more varied the recommends the better - fiction, non-fiction, all genres etc etc
I listen to a lot of memoirs/biographies. Not those of rich famous people but people who had crappy backgrounds and made it through.

Pat Conroy is an author I have liked but hadn't read in years so I am revisiting his work. I enjoy Augusten Burroughs, Dave Sedaris, Jeannette Walls, and Gillian Flynn. Now that I look through my Audible list, I really, really went on a medical history binge, LOL.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Two novels by Adrian McKinty: The Chain (2019) & The Island (2022).
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Stranger In A Strange Land - Robert Heinlein

SPQR - Mary Beard

Practical Blacksmithing - Various authors

A Short History Of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Everything Mark Twain ever wrote

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I read a lot of self-help books, but that's not the thing most people want recommendations on. Beyond that I read mostly no-brainers like Steinbeck, Tolkien, Gibbons, Durant, and so on.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I prefer non-fiction, mainly history and science. If I read fiction, it's usually classics, or occasionally Stephen King.

I haven't read anything in a long while, but my favorite authors are Dean Koontz and Anne Rice.

Also, you can read my novels, which contain gay characters and social issues.

Sapience:
https://www.wattpad.com/story/337592687?...X57q%2FBQ0

Alternative Alpha:
https://www.wattpad.com/story/341027129?...F8BTYmgV9u

Their Nature:
https://www.wattpad.com/story/344560774?...xJbHJiaS1S
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abba return to UK top 10 after 40 years... Duty 10 1209 September 11, 2021 at 6:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 260 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3196 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  atheism books recommendations WolfsChild 8 978 May 24, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1118 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 2010 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Top Jazz artist I love.. Brian37 8 878 December 9, 2018 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Online meme maker? Recommendations, please. Gawdzilla Sama 7 374 October 26, 2018 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 386 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 2023 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89