Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Sea oil
North Sea oil
The UK and Norway discovered oil at roughly the same time, and have extracted roughly the same total amount of oil and gas. Norway has a sovereign wealth fund amounting to $1.4 trillion. The UK, and consequently Scotland, has a sovereign wealth fund amounting to the square root of sod all.

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/article...countries/

According to the Natural Resource Governance Institute, “The two countries have equivalent geology and a similar resource base – the North Sea Basin is effectively split down the middle between them. The UK and Norway both began offshore exploration and production in the mid-1960s with the first oil discoveries made in 1969. Since then, both countries have produced similar amounts of hydrocarbons: the UK has produced 42.8 billion barrels of oil equivalent (boe) and Norway 40 billion boe. That the two countries should be so far apart in terms of their current prosperity comes down basically to the British spending their profits while the Norwegians saved theirs. In Aberdeen, the self-appointed oil capital of Europe, during the early 1990s recession a piece of graffiti appeared saying: “Dear God, give us another oil boom. Next time we won’t p*ss it up against the wall.”
RE: North Sea oil
That last bit is comedic fantasy.
I find it utterly shocking that people who save money have more money saved than people who don’t save money. What an incredibly perceptive observation.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 4, 2023 at 4:53 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: That last bit is comedic fantasy.

I read a story like this once in an ancient book with talking animals.
(September 4, 2023 at 4:28 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: The UK and Norway discovered oil at roughly the same time, and have extracted roughly the same total amount of oil and gas. Norway has a sovereign wealth fund amounting to $1.4 trillion. The UK, and consequently Scotland, has a sovereign wealth fund amounting to the square root of sod all.

According to the Natural Resource Governance Institute, “The two countries have equivalent geology and a similar resource base – the North Sea Basin is effectively split down the middle between them. The UK and Norway both began offshore exploration and production in the mid-1960s with the first oil discoveries made in 1969. Since then, both countries have produced similar amounts of hydrocarbons: the UK has produced 42.8 billion barrels of oil equivalent (boe) and Norway 40 billion boe. That the two countries should be so far apart in terms of their current prosperity comes down basically to the British spending their profits while the Norwegians saved theirs. In Aberdeen, the self-appointed oil capital of Europe, during the early 1990s recession a piece of graffiti appeared saying: “Dear God, give us another oil boom. Next time we won’t p*ss it up against the wall.”

the british didn’t go from the sun never set to the sun hardly ever rise, nor from being part of the world’s largest market to being outside it, by being good with husbanding what they’ve got instead of giving themselves the airs.
(September 4, 2023 at 5:29 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(September 4, 2023 at 4:28 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: The UK and Norway discovered oil at roughly the same time, and have extracted roughly the same total amount of oil and gas. Norway has a sovereign wealth fund amounting to $1.4 trillion. The UK, and consequently Scotland, has a sovereign wealth fund amounting to the square root of sod all.

the british did go from the sun never set to the sun hardly ever rise, nor from being part of the world’s largest market to being outside it, by being good with husbanding what they’ve got instead of giving themselves the airs.

The reason the sun never set on the British Empire was because even Mother Nature didn’t trust those fucking limeys in the dark.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not heard that one before. Cool
(September 4, 2023 at 4:53 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I find it utterly shocking that people who save money have more money saved than people who don’t save money. What an incredibly perceptive observation.

Boru

I need to put this on the "What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday" thread.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ANWR oil leases LinuxGal 0 472 September 6, 2023 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7597 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Arabs and oil WinterHold 15 1219 August 29, 2017 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Is North Korea just insane? Renug 6 1429 May 29, 2017 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  North Korea executed 5 security officials, South Korea says KUSA 32 5214 March 2, 2017 at 7:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  North Korea Endorses Trump Sterben 4 775 June 1, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: abaris
  Should North America get tougher on its citizens like Singapore? 1994Californication 7 1311 March 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  North Korea releases 2 more prisoners. Brian37 32 6108 November 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Another lie about the north korea exposed! Mrdeepthinker 20 2721 August 25, 2014 at 9:56 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Thumbs Down North Carolina bans gay marriage AthiestAtheist 40 19639 April 3, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: hadee41