Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auditors
Auditors
I don't know if this is just a UK trend.
Over here we have these guys who call themselves auditors, the basic idea is that they have the right to film in public so they test security and the police on their knowledge of the law in this regard by pretty much going to businesses or government buildings and filming from the outside. Or just walking down the street filming anyone.

A more skeptical view of this is that they are actually just after getting youtube views by creating volatile situations on purpose for content. Baiting people into an argument.

I can sympathise with the auditors in some way because I've been threatened by the security of places before in some really irrational ways, and one time it was because I was taking a picture of a street sign out in public and a guard walked out of his workplace to try and threaten to steal my phone which genuinely confused me.

On the other hand I wouldn't like to be randomly followed down the street with a camera even if it is legal.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Auditors
I think it started as a US trend first.

I agree with you. A lot of it is just baiting police or security guards etc into making an ass of themselves.

But, I also sympathise since citizens rights need to be maintained in the face of some quite nasty over-reach by police, TV license inspectors, bailiffs, security guards, traffic wardens, and other petty public officials.
Overly sensitive sensibilities and a poor understanding of the laws and social contract got us here. No one should feel stalked or provoked into conflict but public is public and that’s why I see an increase in agoraphobia and escalating needless arrests and violence. Basically people can’t help wanting to feel like they’re being heard. I recon this auditor trend is in a similar vein of the shock jocks.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
My favorite is Long Island Audit. I find he 1. Uses the least amount of jump cuts and edits and 2. his conversation with security and officers, albeit not showing the utmost obedience or reverence, is what I would call decently respectful and non confrontational. He doesn't always comply with answering EVERY question asked of him but in his challenging them back and claiming his right not to provide those answers, he's not sassy or impolite. He just calmly states what the law is, why he feels he has a right to be filming there unaccosted, and he'll often ask them questions in return to get them to state outright whether he's being detained(and for what specifically), whether he's being trespassed, and what laws he's breaking.

It's interesting stuff. I think police and all public servants should be held to a higher standard and expectation of de-escalation. They control us and have authority over us and to protect us at the point of a gun with the full State behind them.

I also watch a lot of body cam vids of unruly belligerent drunks getting pulled over and omg... These cops are so bloody patient. It's insane. And impressive. I could see myself in the cop's place and tell you exactly the point I would have stopped giving them chances and/or just fucking snapped and punched the so-and-so in the head. ...obviously that wouldn't help anything and they shouldn't be doing that. I'm just saying, these cops tolerate so much, keep their cool under so many button pushing circumstances.

Yet by contrast, not being immediately obeyed, not having every order followed, not being submitted to, REALLY provokes some officers in the auditor videos. Yet not only is the long island guy being WORLD'S more respectful and calm than those unruly DUIs, but he's objectively not doing anything wrong. He states clearly almost 100% of the time that he's an independent journalist just taking some video shots of publicly accessible places.

I am NOT fond of the "auditors" who go in and make intentionally inflammatory comments in order to provoke in bad faith, nor am I fond of those auditors who push sovereign citizen crap. Our basic rights AS citizens of this country, are to be allowed to film in public spaces where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. Period. No need to muddy it with "the law doesn't apply to me at all" stuff and it actually weakens their stance with whatever officer they're confronting. Because now they no longer sound legitimate, they sound like a conspiracy theorist.

Well summarised.
Being audited for absolutely everything is par for the course where I come from.
It's a "meh" as long as you know you're 100 % following the rules.
"Bring 'em on" I always say. In fact we do so well, they always ask if we want to help with the audits, which I decline, but my boss does do.
Do your job and you got nothing to worry about.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist