Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders
Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders
Whenever someone says something like the Bible was written by Bronze age goat herders or the Bible is a product of ignorant superstitious people, or the writers of the Bible were on mushrooms . . . that's stupidity. Here's why.

1. The Bronze age is thought to have lasted about 2,000 years, from 3300 to 1200 BCE, and much of what they did, including the Bible, is still being used today. For example, the wheel, irrigation, the dedicated field for planting, the axe, the sword, the potter's wheel and writing.

2. They were as intelligent as modern man. You're not intelligent because you can Google something on your smart phone. They lived in the natural world that you read about in books. Build us a pyramid or even tell us how they built the pyramids with your smart phone and you may have the merit to decide they were ignorant about their world. Speculation on how that world was created doesn't indicate modern man has the superior intelligence.

3. Technology only makes us stupid. Go back to the telegraph, television, internet, cell phones. Telegraph was thought to bring peace through improved communication, it didn't. It allowed the spread of propaganda by those who controlled it. The television didn't educate it dumbed down. The internet provided information which was used for more propaganda. Cell phones didn't improve communication they promoted isolation. None of this reflects poorly on technology itself but rather how it is always used.

4. Moses and Joshua were judges, military commanders, historians and writers. Successive writers included kings, lawyers, fishermen, and a medical doctor and prophets, among others.
RE: Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders
Popcorn
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
You’ve got a point. The bronze age goatherders thing is inaccurate. They were Iron Age goatherders wistfully imaging what it would be like to live on the Bronze Age. They too believed that technology was ruining the world. Poly blend cloth, iron goads, etc.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 17, 2023 at 12:06 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: They too believed that technology was ruining the world.  Poly blend cloth, iron goads, etc.

They obviously didn't believe that. They weren't very good at demonstrating it. They, I would agree, were supposed to do a lot of things they didn't do.
yeah,  they were suppose to know what they were talking about when they talk about gods and creation and salvation, and they definitively didn’t.  

but you do have a point,  some modern people are at least as dumb as the dumber amongst iron or bronze age goat herders.    you would imagine if a modern person were to be taken in by iron age bullshit it would only be the finest and most original of iron age bullshit.   but no,  many modern idiots swallow hook line and sinker very low grade, plagiarizing iron age bullshit that would have embarrassed the more intelligent and cosmopolitan of iron age goat herds.
(September 17, 2023 at 12:13 am)Data Wrote:
(September 17, 2023 at 12:06 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: They too believed that technology was ruining the world.  Poly blend cloth, iron goads, etc.

They, I would agree, were supposed to do a lot of things they didn't do.

An evergreen complaint.  There's nothing that any of us are better at than not doing alot of the things we should do.  

That the authors of old magic book felt compelled to rail against mixed breeding in the language of product is evidence that too much mixed breeding was occurring for the authors.  Whether that was a societal plague or just the thing their own daughters did on a friday night is up to the reader and geneticists to decode.

That's the cool thing about magic books. We all walk away with different impressions. There's the message we take and the message the authors were clearly and repeatedly attempting to impart, and it's rare that a contemporary person gleans the latter. As far as luddite justifications for the dumpster fire of grievance contained, you nailed it. Bravo. Old magic book says there's something wrong with this world, and it started right around the invention of clothes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 16, 2023 at 11:43 pm)Data Wrote: Whenever someone says something like the Bible was written by Bronze Age goat herders or the Bible is a product of ignorant superstitious people, or the writers of the Bible were on mushrooms . . . that's stupidity. Here's why.
Its not, and here's why: they were way more ignorant than modern people, and they were superstitious.
Use your intellect and Google

(September 16, 2023 at 11:43 pm)Data Wrote: For example, the wheel, irrigation, the dedicated field for planting, the axe, the sword, the potter's wheel and writing.
and no one "blamed" them being for ignorant and superstitious because they made these inventions, right? And you are not here to discuss the possbility that the writers of the bible were the people who invented the wheel, are you?

(September 16, 2023 at 11:43 pm)Data Wrote: 2. They were as intelligent as modern man.
Intellect =!= knowledge/ignorance
But i guess thats just a product of your ignorance. Use your intellect and educate yourself, so you won't be so ignorant anymore. Or maybe, just reading this, you just learned the difference.

(September 16, 2023 at 11:43 pm)Data Wrote: 3. Technology only makes us stupid. Go back to the telegraph, television, internet, cell phones.
Please dont extrapolate from yourself to others. Generally speaking, tech has nothing to do with education. If anything, it improves education.

(September 16, 2023 at 11:43 pm)Data Wrote: 4. Moses and Joshua were judges, military commanders, historians and writers.
Nope, Moses didnt exist.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
All huly buuks, not just the buybull were written by scientifically inept, frightened, and most of all, incredibly arrogant creatures. The world is a scary place. They invented gods to put their tiny little minds at ease.
(September 17, 2023 at 1:17 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: yeah,  they were suppose to know what they were talking about when they talk about gods and creation and salvation, and they definitively didn’t.  

Militant atheists have a one track mind. I figure it surely must only be in online forums like this because in the real world they would be so intolerable they couldn't survive among people. They probably did know what they were talking about, in fact I know they did, not because I have to defend what I believe but because I've studied them. I can't imagine any of the idiots I run across in forums like these writing the meticulous details in making the ark of the covenant or keeping the genealogies. Wandering the wilderness? Without a cell phone or uber driver? I doubt most of you could cross town without that shit. Not to mention according to you they invented all of those Gods. No, the modern idiot "reasons." They couldn't have known them.

Give the idiot some kudos for his diatribe. Those primitive morons have groupthink?

(September 17, 2023 at 1:17 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: but you do have a point,  some modern people are at least as dumb as the dumber amongst iron or bronze age goat herders.    you would imagine if a modern person were to be taken in by iron age bullshit it would only be the finest and most original of iron age bullshit.   but no,  many modern idiots swallow hook line and sinker very low grade, plagiarizing iron age bullshit that would have embarrassed the more intelligent and cosmopolitan of iron age goat herds.

Yeah. Wheels, iron, wool, bronze, irrigation, planting. You dumb asses don't need any of that shit. And the dumbest of the modern men digging around in the dirt looking for trash they left behind, huh? Stupid archaeologists.

I would just like to see one atheist idiot who has the brains to know what he's talking about and the balls to say it the midst of his ideocracy.
(September 16, 2023 at 11:43 pm)Data Wrote: Whenever someone says something like the Bible was written by Bronze age goat herders or the Bible is a product of ignorant superstitious people, or the writers of the Bible were on mushrooms . . . that's stupidity. Here's why.

1. The Bronze age is thought to have lasted about 2,000 years, from 3300 to 1200 BCE, and much of what they did, including the Bible, is still being used today. For example, the wheel, irrigation, the dedicated field for planting, the axe, the sword, the potter's wheel and writing.

2. They were as intelligent as modern man. You're not intelligent because you can Google something on your smart phone. They lived in the natural world that you read about in books. Build us a pyramid or even tell us how they built the pyramids with your smart phone and you may have the merit to decide they were ignorant about their world. Speculation on how that world was created doesn't indicate modern man has the superior intelligence.

3. Technology only makes us stupid. Go back to the telegraph, television, internet, cell phones. Telegraph was thought to bring peace through improved communication, it didn't. It allowed the spread of propaganda by those who controlled it. The television didn't educate it dumbed down. The internet provided information which was used for more propaganda. Cell phones didn't improve communication they promoted isolation. None of this reflects poorly on technology itself but rather how it is always used.

4. Moses and Joshua were judges, military commanders, historians and writers. Successive writers included kings, lawyers, fishermen, and a medical doctor and prophets, among others.

1. Several of your listed technological innovations were created by cultures who never even heard of Yahweh.

2. It's not terribly usual for atheists to describe the ancients as unintelligent or less intelligent than us. But they WERE ignorant compared to us ('ignorant' and 'stupid' are two very different things). For the record, pyramids aren't all that difficult to build.

3. Technology doesn't make us stupid, it just makes it easier to display the stupid that was there all along.

4. EVERY mythology contains judges, military commanders, historians (although that one's a bit of a stretch), writers, kings, lawyers, fisherman, doctors, and prophets. The presence of these speaks neither to the validity of the Bible or the intelligence of the mythicists.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5445 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2345 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2210 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7281 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1992 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20254 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3385 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things Rhondazvous 37 6999 October 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The Creationist that Ken Ham calls "stupid" drfuzzy 3 1772 May 7, 2016 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  What the Bible Does NOT Say About Premarital Sex Rhondazvous 30 6405 January 25, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Angrboda