Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why only religious beliefs protected?
Why only religious beliefs protected?
Why are religious beliefs often protected in law, but other beliefs (like political, philosophical, ethical, personal etc) are not?
RE: Why only religious beliefs protected?
Like squatters who were there when the land was surveyed sometimes they get grandfathered in.
Maybe it's time to expand the protections to cover all sincerely held life-affecting beliefs.
(September 25, 2023 at 6:37 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Why are religious beliefs often protected in law, but other beliefs (like political, philosophical, ethical, personal etc) are not?

Which political, philosophical, ethical, and personal beliefs are you being punished for, specifically?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Me? This isn't about me personally.

It just came up whilst learning about UK employment laws and protected characteristics.

It occurred to me that some are quite unfair, and this one especially so.

For example, why must a company legally accommodate people's dietary issues based on their religion, but not on something like veganism? Or accommodate prayer breaks and religious holidays and dress, but not ones based on one's Marxism?

It seems an unfair difference, and gives religion greater rights than others. This is not conducive to weaning society away from religion.
(September 25, 2023 at 6:51 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Me?  This isn't about me personally.

It just came up whilst learning about UK employment laws and protected characteristics.  

It occurred to me that some are quite unfair, and this one especially so.

For example, why must a company legally accommodate people's dietary issues based on their religion, but not on something like veganism?  Or accommodate prayer breaks and religious holidays and dress, but not ones based on one's Marxism?

It seems an unfair difference, and gives religion greater rights than others.  This is not conducive to weaning society away from religion.

Ok, what specific non-religious are people being punished for?

I very much doubt that there are corporate cafeterias with no vegan options.

I’m unaware that there are holidays and dress based on Marxism.

But those things are practices, not beliefs, so I ask again: what non-religious beliefs are people being punished for?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Why does it matter about specificity? I'm not sure why that is relevant here.

Also, if we are separating out beliefs from practices, then the law is about allowing practices deriving from beliefs. That's why employers in the UK are legally obligated to accommodate dress connected to religious beliefs, or to accommodate religious holidays.

For example, Bob is a Christian and wants to wear a cross at work. Sarah is a communist and wants to wear a hammer and sickle. Why is only the wearing of the cross backed by law? Surely it should either be both or neither.
godiboi a cowardly little cream puff, and all the big strong manly men must defend it.
(September 25, 2023 at 7:19 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Why does it matter about specificity?  I'm not sure why that is relevant here.

Also, if we are separating out beliefs from practices, then the law is about allowing practices deriving from beliefs.  That's why employers in the UK are legally obligated to accommodate dress connected to religious beliefs, or to accommodate religious holidays.

For example, Bob is a Christian and wants to wear a cross at work.  Sarah is a communist and wants to wear a hammer and sickle.  Why is only the wearing of the cross backed by law?  Surely it should either be both or neither.

Can you find me a case where ANYONE was criminally charged for wearing a hammer and sickle at their job?

And specificity matters because you appear to be getting all fatoozed over something that seems to be a non-issue.

Boru
Criminally charged? That's not what this is about. Someone might well be told by a supervisor to take it off, though, or more likely may feel they can't go against their company dress code whereas the Christain employee knows they can.

Let's assume that there's been at least one case of an employee not being given accommodation for their non-religious beliefs. Why should they be treated differently in law to a religious person?

I care about social equity, consistency in law, discrimination, and the demise of religion in society. But my personal concerns are irrelevant to the political and legal issue here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Thin-Skinned Orange Shitgibbon Can Only Handle Fox. Minimalist 0 358 July 25, 2018 at 1:58 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  This would only be fair GODZILLA 3 995 July 16, 2018 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  George Carlin - The Only Prophet Who Made Accurate Predictions Minimalist 14 2034 December 24, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  More stupid from Sessions: "gay people aren't protected from discrimination Foxaèr 10 5062 July 27, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 16005 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  It's only a matter of time until Trump throws rocks at the wrong person NuclearEnergy 0 506 March 7, 2017 at 4:35 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Fuck-Up Fatigue Setting In and Its Only Been A Month Minimalist 4 1332 February 14, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1975 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump and Pence are not the only reasons to be sad Losty 35 5135 December 1, 2016 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  For US residents only! Jehanne 66 7649 November 22, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: Tonus