Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:32 pm

Poll: Is there too much rudeness here?
This poll is closed.
Yes
60.00%
9 60.00%
No
40.00%
6 40.00%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are people here too rude?
Are people here too rude?
My personal feeling is that too many are too uncivil, and that this hinders profitable discussions and results in less activity and fewer members.

Does anyone agree?
RE: Are people here too rude?
"Sometimes" should be an option too, imo. I agree that some people are unnecessarily rude, myself included. I try to be my better self but do indeed fall short at times. Other times, rudeness on my part is deserved imo. I am not kind to assholes, and make no apologies for it.

Hoomans suck.

And not in the good way.
Question not answerable as asked.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 7, 2023 at 10:47 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: My personal feeling is that too many are too uncivil, and that this hinders profitable discussions and results in less activity and fewer members.

Does anyone agree?

I agree that is probably your personal feeling.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I'm never rude, now, fuck off!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

On a tangential question, as it seems the preferred way of communicating on this forum is to be insulting, dismissive, aggressive, and hounding, should someone such as myself be better served forgetting the restrained and dispassionate civil posting style, and just play the same game as the majority?

In other words, rather than posting as I do, would it be better thought of here if I just called people cunts etc?
People can be rude all they want. It's about how you respond to it.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
[Image: tPPaLqnG8PiKozKBKac3MW-1200-80.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I don't think that people here are rude but that there are lots of (religious) trolls that piss people off with their noise or, should I say, non-conversation.

For example, I have noticed a trick that some freshly registered religious people do and that is to accuse moderators of banning people just because they are Christians, and then they go on and troll much longer than if they haven't made that accusation. Indeed, some religious trolls survive here for years despite complaints about their disgusting behavior, like it was with Drich.

The other thing is that people use this place to vent their daily frustrations with religious people in real life. Just look at what Christian Nationalists are doing in the US on a daily basis.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People here are insulting me. I and I 123 15624 November 27, 2013 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda