Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all.  I deconverted years ago from a strict Catholic background and spent a considerable amount of time researching the history of Catholic Church atrocities around the world.  As you can imagine, I made endless horrifying discoveries including the actions of the Church in my own country (Canada) - where in the past few years the bodies of thousands of indigenous children were found in unmarked graves at former Catholic residential schools. 

I consider myself to be possibly an agnostic theist--however most religious people would consider me to be an atheist because I disbelieve in the existence of the Abrahamic God, but I do hold out hope for some kind of higher consciousness in the world, even if that only consists of the "thousand unseen helping hands" of Joseph Campbell - basically humans acting together for good.  I was an agnostic atheist until a religious/spiritual experience a few years ago shook my disbelief and I experienced the perception of a seemingly benevolent presence that radiated humour and love and delight.  It certainly could have been my imagination (I'm skeptical myself) but was very powerful.  And no- there were no mind-altering events or substances involved, lol.  And no - I don't consider that presence to in any way resemble conventional depictions of a God.

So why join an atheist forum?  I find that in other forums, any criticism of religion gets shut down whereas religious people and even extremists are allowed a voice.  I am opposed to most organized religions, pseudoscience, and especially to fundamentalism/zealotry and its influence on government and the law.  I am horrified by recent events worldwide, especially the bans on legal abortion in the USA (which I see as motivated only by religion, as the science is clear that fetuses have no capacity for human-like thought until the development of the cerebral cortex at 5-6 months).  Religious erosion of women's rights and the persecution of minority groups is happening around the world.  Humanity seems to be going backwards these days.... Anyway, would appreciate a friendly hello from anyone who cares to respond in a kind and civilized way.
RE: New member
Welcome!

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Salutations!
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Hiyas and welcome, Jilly. Agnostic atheist here.

(March 2, 2024 at 7:21 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Welcome!

(March 2, 2024 at 7:25 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: Salutations!

(March 2, 2024 at 7:31 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Hiyas and welcome, Jilly. Agnostic atheist here.

Thanks all! Smile
You should be fine here. We do have some theists that pop in now and then and as in most communities there are some scuffles at times.

You aren't the only former Catholic here. In fact, I was raised Catholic.

Many here came out of religious backgrounds. Find a topic and join in. We have everything here from the serious to the ludicrous.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Welcome Woof.

The wife is cafeteria catholic which I find tolerable.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: You should be fine here. We do have some theists that pop in now and then and as in most communities there are some scuffles at times.

You aren't the only former Catholic here. In fact, I was raised Catholic.

Many here came out of religious backgrounds. Find a topic and join in. We have everything here from the serious to the ludicrous.

(March 2, 2024 at 8:28 pm)brewer Wrote: Welcome Woof.

The wife is cafeteria catholic which I find tolerable.

Thanks. I'm "culturally Catholic" although I no longer subscribe to their religion. I'm not even sure whether to call myself a theist (the definition seems to vary between sources). The best label for my views, as indicated in my profile, is "skeptic." Or - I once saw a bumper sticker that said "MILITANT AGNOSTIC - I DON'T KNOW AND YOU DON'T EITHER." That's pretty close to me as well, lol.

I enjoy watching several self-described Atheists on YouTube, including Genetically Modified Skeptic and Alex O'Connor.
Welcome! Former catlicker here, as well.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Welcome.

There are many former Catholics lurking around this place, myself included.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new member asswriter 8 232 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4456111 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New member MistMuse 7 279 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member titanif 8 873 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 658 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1371 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1196 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2076 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2647 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one
  New Member freakygin 17 1552 May 30, 2021 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus