Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your stance on bringing back extinct species?
What's your stance on bringing back extinct species?
Considering that they are planning to bring back mammoths what is your stance on all that?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: What's your stance on bringing back extinct species?
Given the shrinking habitats for most animals now extant, it seems like a silly exercise in what could be done. Can be, but should it be? Not in my opinion.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I am not in favor with two caveats:

1.  The candidate had been a vital specie in a still existent but struggling ecosystem,  and there is strong economic case to be made for restoring the ecosystem and doing so requires restoration of the lost keystone species. 

2.   There is very compelling reason to believe a extinct species by itself  has potential for extraordinary economic value, such as certain plants may have important pharmaceutical uses,
There’s no need to bring back extinct species - CGI is getting better all the time.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Mammoths could have a profound impact on the ecology and economy of appalachia and the midwest. They were the primary habitat creators and seed dispensers for a once vast forest of large fruit bearing trees and veggies where nothing but plain and scrub exist now. The trees, in particular, are only about 50 generations out from the loss.

I'm underselling it when I say that mammoths could save the fucking planet.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If I'm in danger of being killed then pass.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 7, 2024 at 9:22 pm)brewer Wrote: If I'm in danger of being killed then pass.

Dammit!

*makes other plans*
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 7, 2024 at 10:04 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(March 7, 2024 at 9:22 pm)brewer Wrote: If I'm in danger of being killed then pass.

Dammit!

*makes other plans*

Was you plan to dress up as a furry?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 7, 2024 at 10:52 pm)brewer Wrote:
(March 7, 2024 at 10:04 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Dammit!

*makes other plans*

Was you plan to dress up as a furry?

Nope.

That's one derangement I don't have.

Anyway, don't dress at all if you're going to kill someone in a messy way.

Kill.

Shower.

Dress.
Dying to live, living to die.
Meh, why not?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 640 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bumblebee officially added to endangered species list Foxaèr 13 1330 July 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4419 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Strange troglodyte species found in Turkmenistan cave Foxaèr 4 854 September 26, 2017 at 7:18 am
  Loosening my pro choice stance. 1994Californication 47 8595 March 14, 2016 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  New Species Found in Oregon brewer 31 6283 February 11, 2016 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3315 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Remains of new human species found ignoramus 32 6574 September 10, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Is there enough time for SPECIATION for million species drkfuture 11 6114 July 30, 2015 at 7:52 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Invasive Species IATIA 11 2669 July 17, 2015 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: rado84