Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 7:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The forgotten genocides?
The forgotten genocides?
The Great Flood is something that kept me off religion. Everybody died, except for those chosen few. Everybody, including Polynesians, people who had never had the chance to "know the one true god".

But there's another one, old testament IIRC. In Genesis 19 (NIV) God decides to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah for being "wholly wicked and evil." Then He sends down two angels to warn the only holy man in Sodom. When "the crowd" discovers that angelic beings were in town they attacked Lot's house, demanding the angels, who evidently couldn't take care of themselves, be given to the mob. Lot offers his daughters, "who had never known men" instead. I guess "holy" is flexible if there's a crowd outside?

My point in the above is that it's yet another mass murder to solve a relatively fixable point, with, say 9-10 plagues?

Everybody, up to and including babes in the womb, died. And one woman, Lot's wife, was murdered where she stood because her family, and everyone she'd ever known, were being killed to a make a religious point.

Others?
RE: The forgotten genocides?
Admittedly, the Great Flood is closer to an Omnicide than a genocide. But the larger point remains. And the point about punishing even those who never had the chance to know “The one true God” is a good one. It reminds me of an old joke: a missionary is trying to convince an Inuit to turn to Christianity, telling them about the fires awaiting them in Hell.

The Inuit thinks for a bit and asks “So, my ancestors never got a chance to learn about the One True God. Does this mean they’d be burning in Hell because they never knew about your God?”

The missionary, not used to thinking about it in those terms, says “No, God’s not like that. He’d show them mercy if they nobody ever told you.”

Then the Inuit raises his harpoon to the missionary and asks “Then why did you tell me?”

Honestly, I’d love to know what Sung, an Inuit himself, would make of such a story.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The Midianites, the Canaanites, the Amalekites…

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
And the first born of Egypt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2371 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger