Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How it all started....
How it all started....
I was born and raised a Missouri Synod Lutheran. I was active in my church until I was 16yrs of age when they kicked me out for being gay. I went on a walk with the youth pastor who tried to scare me straight with stories of rape and aids. I was very suicidal at the time so this all sucked. He told me that the only feasible options were for me to get involved with an ex-gay group called Metanoia Ministries or to kill myself as I would be condemned to hell either way. I chose life. I chose to be myself. He was also fired soon after.

This started my critical thinking process (slowly but surely). I began to research the scriptures and find out what the fuck was up. I knew I was born gay....so why would god create me a certain way only to condemn me for being me (we weren't presbyterian!).

I soon started to realize the abundance of translation errors regarding homosexuality in the bible. I should have looked further into other areas....but didn't. I remained a conservative gay christian getting involved in many non-denom churches. I also chose to go to seminary. It was during seminary that everything began to unravel fast. There were more questions than answers....in fact there were no answers. There was only blind faith. Nonetheless, I made it through seminary to realize that I didn't want to become a pastor at all.

My head was clouded and I couldn't make heads or tails of what my faith/religion was anymore.

I could no longer believe the myth stories presented. I transitioned into a liberal church (UCC) and began working as a bible study teacher. It was getting harder and harder to believe. Everything that I thought was a miracle....everything that I held dear...was not what it seemed. There was no everpresent god. There was no "grand design" that was unfolding before my eyes everyday. There was the world. There was nature. God didn't seem to be around anywhere. I listened...but heard nothing.

I have since resigned my position with the UCC. I no longer have a need to believe. The sun is still shining. I am still here and am enjoying the freedom from the bondage that was religion.

Life is good!

I have no animosity toward religion or believers. I have often been pissed off at myself though....for being duped for so long. But I am only 32 and have many more years to enjoy my freedom!
...bows to no god, kingdom, or state...
RE: How it all started....
Welcome to the forums, We could really use another bible scholar here to deal with the fundie tards that swing by Big Grin
At your service!Smile
Welcome aboard, dude! If I may, I think the pastor got what he deserved when he was fired...a man in his position should never advise anyone, let alone a teenager, to kill his or herself.

Enjoy your stay aboard the crazy train either way! Big Grin
Glad you made it here and welcome!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Thank you Watson and the summer queen.
Welcome to the forums. I personally think it's silly when fundie Christians use the bible as an excuse to hate gay people. They trot out Leviticus 18:22 to show that God doesn't like homosexuality, but they conveniently ignore the same Levitical laws against eating pork, shellfish, meat & dairy products together, wearing clothes of mixed fabrics, or working on the Sabbath. I've never once seen a group of Christians protesting in front of Red Lobster with signs that say "Leviticus 11:12" or "God hates crabs."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Quote:I knew I was born gay

That is bullshit! Everyone knows you can't be born gay! Gay is a virus that can be cured by god. Just kidding. Welcome to the forums. You'll meet a bunch of cool heathens here. Smile

Welcome!!

Tell the sick church that suggested suicide that Jesus had two dads and he turned out just fine!
(April 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Welcome to the forums. I personally think it's silly when fundie Christians use the bible as an excuse to hate gay people. They trot out Leviticus 18:22 to show that God doesn't like homosexuality, but they conveniently ignore the same Levitical laws against eating pork, shellfish, meat & dairy products together, wearing clothes of mixed fabrics, or working on the Sabbath. I've never once seen a group of Christians protesting in front of Red Lobster with signs that say "Leviticus 11:12" or "God hates crabs."

I used to get ticked off.....but this attitude is often expressed by the religious leaders through their "flock." Soon religion will meet it's end.
(April 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm)Shell B Wrote:
Quote:I knew I was born gay

That is bullshit! Everyone knows you can't be born gay! Gay is a virus that can be cured by god. Just kidding. Welcome to the forums. You'll meet a bunch of cool heathens here. Smile

Sweet! LOL thanks Shell B Smile
(April 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm)Skipper Wrote: Welcome!!

Tell the sick church that suggested suicide that Jesus had two dads and he turned out just fine!

And don't forget Jesus' favorite sidekick, "The Beloved Disciple!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mom, the hadiths started it. DramaQueen 2 1333 August 21, 2014 at 12:33 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow