Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Implemented] - A Second Suggestion
[Implemented] - A Second Suggestion
I'd still really love to see the Edit Box Enlarged (See Edit Box) but as a second suggestion, I was wondering about the Small Icons adjacent to all the recent threads posted ... specifically, could we change the criteria for what is considered to be a "Hot Thread".

You see, currently, nearly every thread on both My Posts and Today's Posts are labeled as Hot Thread. This obviously takes away from any validity to that claim. What's the point of labeling nearly everything a Hot Thread. It ends up being superfluous simply because it's not helpful.
But it COULD be. I think that the term Hot Thread could be made much more exclusive and thus FAR more useful. Ideas? I have few.

Just a thought.
Keep up the good work.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: A Second Suggestion
Currently for a thread to be deemed "Hot" it must either have 20+ posts or 150+ views. These were the default settings when we set up the site a few years ago; they could probably do with a tweak.

Any ideas for better values?
40+ posts and 500+ views - How's that for a value?

I've never actually thought of these icons as something helpful and they're too small for me to notice (most of the time) unless if I consciously make the effort to look at them.
(May 15, 2011 at 9:57 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Currently for a thread to be deemed "Hot" it must either have 20+ posts or 150+ views. These were the default settings when we set up the site a few years ago; they could probably do with a tweak.

Any ideas for better values?

Me personally ... I wouldn't even consider the amount of views a thread gets. Simply because they don't change the nature of the thread. A painting can be viewed by a 1000 people but if none of those viewers ever says a thing about it - no one's going to care enough to stop in and see it. Plus, a large majority of thread users and guests may have only stopped in to view it because it had a provocative title, only to find that it was a boring thread. Which would than mean that the "Hot Thread" label was even more misleading.

I would say it has to meet one of two criteria.
The first and primary criteria, you already have. Posts ... and I would just bump it to no less than 30+ posts. Reminding you that I personally think that Hot should describe a minority not the vast majority.
2. The variety of the users posting. Sometimes only 3 or 4 people are posting in a thread - which of course is fine, but if you get 12 or more people posting before you hit the 30+ posts, that thread is obviously by definition Hot. Hell, I'd be much more inclined to stop in and read a thread that everyone wants to put their two cents in on. I think a lot of people would.

Your forums are great. I'm REALLY not complaining. I just think it would be cool to see 6 or 7 threads listed as HOT because the actually ARE -- instead of the literally dozens that have a useless label on them. How cool would it be to have a more reliable gauge for good threads as you you scroll down through the daily posts? I think, very.
And plus these new criteria's for the Hot Thread label would not change any thing regarding the layout or listing of My Posts and Today's Posts.

Finally, I would say that no matter how long the thread lasted, the Hot Thread label had an expiration date. Something can't be hot for more than possibly 3 weeks maximum.

I think the Hot Thread label could be extremely useful as not only a way to find the best threads quicly but also to inspire those posting to think up good topics. Human nature is a funny thing. Everybody wants to be "Hot".

Thumb up

(May 16, 2011 at 12:26 am)Rayaan Wrote: I've never actually thought of these icons as something helpful and they're too small for me to notice (most of the time) unless if I consciously make the effort to look at them.

point made. Cool Shades Let's make them useful.
[Image: Evolution.png]

As heat is often generated by lots of hot air being blown around a room, would it not be more accurate to label only threads with lots of angry shouting and bickering as 'hot thread's?

I'd love to stop in on one of those hot threads and lay the smack down on all'yall. Wink Shades

Alternately, we could only note threads about sunbaked cloths. Sunbaked satin is my idea of a set of hot threads. Or satin on a body pending removal during foreplay... also hot threads. Or the satin worn by satan in hell... some might say that is crispy hot threads, possibly on fire.

And actually, Cinjin... my desired look is that of cool femme fatale. Unfortunately it will not be mine for a few years yet... but I most certainly do not want to be hot. I hate being hot. Might not be so bad if it wasn't miserable and made me sweat more than I care to. Fucking skin pores.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Sweating is good for the pores and shrinks them. I used to sit daily in a steam room and my skin never looked so good.
I'm not prepared to re-code an entire system just to make the "hot topic" feature more dynamic. I have however changed the values so that a hot topic requires either 40 posts or 1000 views.

The average number of posts per thread is 20, so 40 is a good value for a "hot" topic. Similarly, most threads don't get 1000 views, and so the ones that do are more likely to be the ones that are shared across the internet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion: Install Soma Tablet Depositories On All Threads Violet 17 2462 May 3, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Suggestion: atheism source links Foxaèr 3 1080 April 28, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does this already exist? If not, count it as a suggestion Reltzik 26 2943 October 3, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Joods
  Sub forum suggestion Joods 2 973 July 15, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Code suggestion Joods 30 4803 May 21, 2018 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Compulsory swearing subsection suggestion I_am_not_mafia 47 6263 May 13, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Civility subsection suggestion Catholic_Lady 400 45446 May 11, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Min's Rep Indication Suggestion Edwardo Piet 42 4044 October 19, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Suggestion for debate forum ErGingerbreadMandude 1 1246 December 20, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Tagging suggestion Foxaèr 12 2431 November 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Cyberman